RE: [Ayreton] Ayreton Baronial Polling

  • Ron Sargent
    Message 1 of 13 , May 15 9:19 AM

      Greetings all,

      Please hold off from sending in two different polls.  I know this is Chicago where we vote early, vote often, but I have a fundamental objection to the two poll idea.  I am considering this and will render my opinion later this weekend.

      In Service I Remain,

      Baron Thorvald Redhair

      Middle Kingdom Seneschal

      Message 2 of 13 , May 16 10:50 AM

        Greetings all,

        I wish to thank those that have expressed their opinions to me on the matter of the Ayreton Polling Process.  There are frequently multiple sides to each situation and it can be difficult to view the problem from other angles.  I have reviewed the polling process and have taken it to various extremes to see what holds up.  I have also consulted with the various governing documents for information.

        I am fully aware of the extent to which members of the Incipient Barony of Ayreton intermingle and cross borders to play with other groups.  When I play locally, I also play with a group different than my residence.  However, the Society Seneschal's Handbook says, "The polling must reflect that a compelling majority of the paid membership within the boundaries of the affected area are in favor of the proposed change."

        There are two questions to be considered on the poll.  Technically, they are separate pollings, but I authorized placing them both on one sheet of paper in an effort to save in the cost of the polling.

        Therefore, I must ask that each member fill out the poll that applies to your zip code of record.  If you wish to also submit a non-member poll for other groups, you may do so.  You may even submit one for each group, if that is your desire.  This only applies to the question of conversion from Shire/Province to Canton.  For polling the Baron and Baroness, you may only submit one.  Multiple submissions will invalidate your polls.  Know that when Baron Gareth sends the Crown and myself the tally from the polling, the opinions of the paid membership will carry the most weight.

        Please do not leave the lateral conversion question unanswered on your paid member poll because you do not play with the group.  If you wish the group you reside in to be part of the Barony of Ayreton, say so.  If the return rate is not satisfactory, a re-polling may be required, which will serve to delay the planned investiture.

        If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Baron Gareth or myself.

        In Service I Remain,

        Baron Thorvald Redhair

        Middle Kingdom Seneschal

      • David Valenta
        Message 3 of 13 , May 16 11:07 AM
          So if we already sent in one completed form we should send in another, partial, form?

          Guy Dawkins

          Message 4 of 13 , May 16 11:19 AM

            I have asked Baron Gareth this same question.  We will need to wait for his reply to see how corrections have been handled in the past.

            In Service I Remain,

            Baron Thorvald Redhair

            Middle Kingdom Seneschal

            Message 5 of 13 , May 18 9:08 PM
              Greetings,

              I've received a few reports of members who didn't get their member poll in the mail even though they felt they should have.

              Anyone who has not received they're member poll who also has a current membership with an up-to-date address should contact Baron Gareth. Please include your name, address and, if possible, a copy of your blue card or member number.

              Baron Gareth's email address is garethorne@....

              In your service,
              --Richard de Scolay

            • dfvalenta
              Message 6 of 13 , May 22 2:18 AM
                A week has elapsed.
                Please give us an answer.

                Guy

                --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Sargent" <thorvaldr@...> wrote:

                > Greetings all,
                >

                > Please hold off from sending in two different polls. I know this is Chicago
                > where we vote early, vote often, but I have a fundamental objection to the
                > two poll idea. I am considering this and will render my opinion later this
                > weekend.
                >

                > In Service I Remain,
                >

                > Baron Thorvald Redhair
                >
                > Middle Kingdom Seneschal

              • mandy lemke
                Message 7 of 13 , May 22 3:38 AM
                  Guy,
                  I believe this has been answered. If I'm thinking right Thorvald sent out a few emails last week sometime around Sunday. Just in time for the baronial meeting. Have a great day!
                  In Service,
                  Lady Francesca del Mar

                  > Please hold off from sending in two different polls. I know this is Chicago
                  > where we vote early, vote often, but I have a fundamental objection to the
                  > two poll idea. I am considering this and will render my opinion later this
                  > weekend.
                  >

                  > In Service I Remain,
                  >

                  > Baron Thorvald Redhair
                  >
                  > Middle Kingdom Seneschal

                • dfvalenta
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 22 5:18 AM
                    Not to this list.

                    Guy

                    --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, mandy lemke <seaprincess527@...> wrote:

                    > Guy,
                    > I believe this has been answered. If I'm thinking right Thorvald sent out a few emails last week sometime around Sunday. Just in time for the baronial meeting. Have a great day!
                    > In Service,
                    > Lady Francesca del Mar

                  • Terry
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 22 6:01 AM
                      Guy,

                      See message # #5068 on this list. He did answer your question in the body of that message.

                      Helpful Henry

                      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "dfvalenta" <dvalenta@...> wrote:

                      > Not to this list.
                      >
                      > Guy
                      >
                      > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, mandy lemke <seaprincess527@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Guy,
                      > > I believe this has been answered. If I'm thinking right Thorvald sent out a few emails last week sometime around Sunday. Just in time for the baronial meeting. Have a great day!
                      > > In Service,
                      > > Lady Francesca del Mar

                    • dfvalenta
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 22 6:45 AM
                        But I'm waiting for his reply to message # 5070.

                        Guy

                        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <Scribesquire@...> wrote:

                        > Guy,
                        >
                        > See message # #5068 on this list. He did answer your question in the body of that message.
                        >
                        > Helpful Henry
                        >
                        > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "dfvalenta" <dvalenta@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Not to this list.
                        > >
                        > > Guy
                        > >
                        > > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, mandy lemke <seaprincess527@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Guy,
                        > > > I believe this has been answered. If I'm thinking right Thorvald sent out a few emails last week sometime around Sunday. Just in time for the baronial meeting. Have a great day!
                        > > > In Service,
                        > > > Lady Francesca del Mar

                      • Ron Sargent
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 23 5:39 PM

                          Greetings,

                          After conferring with Baron Gareth, if  you need to make a change to your poll, please send him an E-mail at garethorne@....  He will print out your message, make the changes and attach the E-mail to your poll.

                          In Service I Remain,

                          Baron Thorvald Redhair

                          Middle Kingdom Seneschal

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 23 5:52 PM

                            Greetings,

                            As most of you know, there have been a number of unique problems with the Ayreton polling process that the kingdom has not experienced in a while.  Some were the result of the flavor in which we enjoy the SCA in the Chicago area and some are with the mailings themselves.  We are still trying to determine what caused some of the mailing problems, as we receive the labels from the Corporate office.  I will be reporting on the progress of the polling at the next Curia meeting on May 31.  At that time, I will not have the results of the polls themselves and will only be discussing the issues you have faced with the process.

                            Therefore, I would like to hear from anyone that has some type of problem with the polling process.  If you have already written me, you do not need to send again.

                            I also want to know if you feel the polling process has been impacted by the issues you have experienced or heard about.  In other words, has there been enough damage done that we should consider a re-polling to ensure everyone has the chance to offer their counsel.

                            Please send any comments to me at Seneschal@....  I would prefer not to spam this list with everyone's letters.

                            In Service I Remain,

                            Baron Thorvald Redhair

                            Middle Kingdom Seneschal