LEATHER CRAFTERS UNITE

  • gmiller77@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7 11:01 PM
      Greetings unto the Leather Crafting Populace of Ayreton,

      I come to you with a request for information as well as to share some information with the group.

      As an individual who occasionally likes to play with leather, both for personal and SCA uses, I am a big fan of Tandy/Leather Factory. I have recently learned of their newer wholesale club membership level, the Elite Membership. Unlike the basic wholesale club membership which offers only about 20% discount, this one gives from about 40-55% discount.. can you say huzzah. Okay, so I am wondering if anyone in the area has one of these Elite club Memberships? They go for 150.00 dollars instead of the regular which is like 35.00 bucks.

      If no one has one, I wondered if it would be possible get a group of us together and go in on the membership. So say, 4 of us and its only 37.50, 5 - 30.00, 6 - 25.00, etc... you get the idea. The way I see it, we got fighters here, we got leather crafters, we got Shoe Makers and Garb fans who would love to work with some leather sometime, why not.

      We can make a monthly trip to either the Elgin, Il. location or the Merrilville, In. location or something.

      Anyone else game for this idea?

      I just hate to pay those prices when there is the option for such low prices staring us in the face.

      Yours,

      www dot mylifeinthewindy dot com
      gmiller77 at mylifeinthewindy dot com
    • Jill Elaine Hughes
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8 7:56 AM
        Greetings---

        I'm a leathercrafter (mostly decorative/tooling, so I buy only small leather pieces and tooling/decorative supplies).  I might be interested in sharing the membership, but I'm not sure that Tandy even allows that.  I know I recently tried to borrow Master Sean's membership when I made some purchases online, and Tandy wouldn't permit me to use it then.  So I think it's worth asking Tandy if this kind of arrangement is allowed.

        Marissa

        Message 3 of 4 , May 8 8:27 AM
          Hmm, Perhaps if one were to approach Tandy on the subject of group en masse purchase of their fine qualty goods, I would think they would be open to the idea to create a whole new business/organizational membership allowing SCA types of groups a nifty discount seeing as fighters as well as merchants would be a steady & relaible customer base in their fine goods emm? Just an opinion of one who is observant in military matters & convergence.... :)

          Knightsrose

          Message 4 of 4 , May 8 2:14 PM
            Greetings Alexander....

            You could also group order from Brettuns Village Leather.

            http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/

            I think the deals there are better than Tandy except that you can not
            (easily) go there and pick out your own leather. Landwerlen Leather
            in Indianapolis is also an outstanding place for anyone who works
            with leather to visit and buy. They do not have a web site but they
            do have a must visit it to believe it store.

            http://www.superpages.com/bp/Indianapolis-IN/Landwerlen-Leather-CO-L0088833159.htm?SRC=com411&C=Landwerlen&L=Indianapolis+IN&lbp=1&TR=77&bidType=FLCLIK&PGID=yp423.8081.1273352595710.18913256003

            The other source I use which is online and retail, not wholesale is
            Sartan's Working With Leather.

            http://www.saroftreve.com/wwl/index.htm

            It is great for getting one tool or even one buckle. When you need 2
            and not a pound of something, he is worth it. His leather prices are
            not the greatest so use him for tools and hardware and he takes
            PayPal. I will note that he caters primarily to the BDSM market but
            don't let that stop you from using a very good source. He has good
            leatherworking guides as well.

            Be well.....

            John Malkin aMalkin

            --
            John Railing aka Malkin
            1041 Nerge Rd., Apt. 104 * Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * 812-320-1447