RE: [Ayreton] Mensa demo--Pros and Cons

  • Wolfram von Waldersbach
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
      I will make an effort to keep this on my schedule for Oct. 29, so there will be at least one other heavy fighter there along with Sir Fern.

      In Service,

      "Voca me cum benedictis"
      2008 Midlands Regional Archery Champion

      To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
      From: fern1445-tgs@...
      Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:33:32 -0700
      Subject: Re: [Ayreton] Mensa demo--Pros and Cons

      Dear Ayreton,

      I evaluated this opportunity for the Mensa demo in terms of Pros and Cons. Here's how it came out:

      Pro:
      1. A guaranteed audience, and a large audience, at that.
      2. The Mensa crowd is a high-probability recruiting opportunity for us. They are adults, they are readers, and they are have spare time (or else they wouldn't even join Mensa!).
      3. They've already seen us once, and they liked us. They want us back for a bigger presentation.
      4. Lots of advance notice, as much as anybody could hope for.
      5. Someone else is doing all the work to arrange the publicity, the audience, and the site. We just need to show up and do the demo.(That's correct, isn't it, Margrett?)

      Con:
      1. Weekday scheduling. It requires taking a day off work.

      Now, the weekday schedule *is* a very big Con. But the Mensa people will also be taking time off work to see the demo, so it must be worthwhile to them.

      This looks like a golden opportunity for a recruiting demo. If we only do one major recruiting demo this year, we might as well do the high-probability one.

      So I guess I have talked myself into volunteering for this demo, assuming that it happens. Unless some major life or work problem occurs, I will keep this on my schedule for Oct 29, and prepare to take a day off work for it.

      "It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!"

      thanks,

      Fern

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
        I am interested - Fridays are not work days for me under my current schedule, at least...a lot could change between now and then but this sounds like a great opportunity and I would love to help out.  I am not an expert at anything but I do some fiber arts and I can be an extra body for dancing and/or talk up a storm at the information table.

        Moose

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______

        --
        Program Chair
        Chicago-area Mensa

      • Jill Elaine Hughes
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
          I agree it's hard to commit to this so far in advance, but if I am free that day I will also participate.  I can do a decorative leatherwork and/or a C&I demonstration.

          Marissa

        • Margrett Norwoode
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010

            Great! Thanks everyone! That's enough people who are saying yes now that I know we can do this. I also know we can pick up more folks closer to the event when the scheduling is not so far out. I'll keep in touch with her and we can start making firmer plans in the summer/early fall.

            Huzzah! This is going to be fun.

            Margrett