Re: [Ayreton] Mensa demo

  • jeffnaggie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
      Not wanting to speak for others but the difficulty may be getting off of work.  I could most likely take it off, but I would have to do so closer to that date in order to not conflict with other administrators being out of the building.

      So while I would be interested in participating it is hard to commit 100% this far in advance due to possible work conflicts.

      Hillary

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
        Not sure who you want coming or exactly what you want, but the kids (in Oct-17, 15 and 11) and will more than likely be able to participate.  But, my schedule for the fall will not be set until Aug.  I do try to keep Fridays free for field trips and fun activities when possible.  (we homeschool if you are wondering).

        Anna

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______

        --
        Program Chair
        Chicago-area Mensa

      • Fern
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 28, 2010
          Dear Ayreton,

          I evaluated this opportunity for the Mensa demo in terms of Pros and Cons. Here's how it came out:

          Pro:
          1. A guaranteed audience, and a large audience, at that.
          2. The Mensa crowd is a high-probability recruiting opportunity for us. They are adults, they are readers, and they are have spare time (or else they wouldn't even join Mensa!).
          3. They've already seen us once, and they liked us. They want us back for a bigger presentation.
          4. Lots of advance notice, as much as anybody could hope for.
          5. Someone else is doing all the work to arrange the publicity, the audience, and the site. We just need to show up and do the demo.(That's correct, isn't it, Margrett?)

          Con:
          1. Weekday scheduling. It requires taking a day off work.

          Now, the weekday schedule *is* a very big Con. But the Mensa people will also be taking time off work to see the demo, so it must be worthwhile to them.

          This looks like a golden opportunity for a recruiting demo. If we only do one major recruiting demo this year, we might as well do the high-probability one.

          So I guess I have talked myself into volunteering for this demo, assuming that it happens. Unless some major life or work problem occurs, I will keep this on my schedule for Oct 29, and prepare to take a day off work for it.

          "It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!"

          thanks,

          Fern

[...]

        • Wolfram von Waldersbach
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
            I will make an effort to keep this on my schedule for Oct. 29, so there will be at least one other heavy fighter there along with Sir Fern.

            In Service,

            "Voca me cum benedictis"
            2008 Midlands Regional Archery Champion

            To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
              I am interested - Fridays are not work days for me under my current schedule, at least...a lot could change between now and then but this sounds like a great opportunity and I would love to help out.  I am not an expert at anything but I do some fiber arts and I can be an extra body for dancing and/or talk up a storm at the information table.

              Moose

[...]

            • Jill Elaine Hughes
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
                I agree it's hard to commit to this so far in advance, but if I am free that day I will also participate.  I can do a decorative leatherwork and/or a C&I demonstration.

                Marissa

              • Margrett Norwoode
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 30, 2010

                  Great! Thanks everyone! That's enough people who are saying yes now that I know we can do this. I also know we can pick up more folks closer to the event when the scheduling is not so far out. I'll keep in touch with her and we can start making firmer plans in the summer/early fall.

                  Huzzah! This is going to be fun.

                  Margrett