Letters of Intent to be Baron/Baroness

  • Bernal Schooley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2010
      Greetings,

      As mentioned previously and at the business meeting last Sunday. Ayreton's petition has been accepted by the Crown and we can now move ahead with the process of polling for Baron/Baroness. Between now and Sunday April 11th, I'll be accepting letters of intent from those who are seeking to be baron/baroness. The poll will then take place during the month of May.

      The letters of intent must include the following:

      ·        A copy of photo id’s,
      ·        A copy of blue membership cards,
      ·        Mundane contact information.
      ·        Complete SCA name with title.

      In addition to these kingdom level requirements, you should also include a letter directed to the populous of Ayreton indicating that you would like to be Baron and/or Baroness. These letters will be sent to Sarafina and then posted to the Ayreton website. You can also provide any additional information, email addresses, bios, and/or photos that you would like to have Sarafina include on the website along with your letter.

      I will collect these weekly and forward them to Sarafina and once she has added them to the website, she will announce to the list the names of those that she has added.

      If you would rather mail some of the required items, my address is: Bernal Schooley, 3320 Husking Peg Ln., Geneva, IL 60134. Please send electronic copies of the letter and any info for the website via email.

      It was also decided at the business meeting, that discussion of the candidates should not take place on the Ayreton Yahoo group mailing list. If anyone has questions for the candidates, they should contact them directly, off-list.

      I hope that's everything. If there are any questions please ask here or contact me directly.

      In your service,
      --Richard de Scolay

    • James McAdams
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2010
        On 3/17/2010 11:14 PM, Bernal Schooley wrote:
        It was also decided at the business meeting, that discussion of the candidates should not take place on the Ayreton Yahoo group mailing list. If anyone has questions for the candidates, they should contact them directly, off-list.

            I'm curious about the rationale for this decision.  This is the primary way to communicate to everyone - why not use it to discuss the volunteers for baron and baroness, and how their goals fit with our expectations?

            Xavier

      • Mary Buchanan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
          Discussing candidates via email would seem to invite hard feelings between candidates and commenters.  Keep in mind that the candidates themselves, as well as opponents, friends, family, and many others could be members of the Ayreton e-group.  Also, even constructive commentary can be misinterpreted when written in an email, and this occurs very frequently.  Another good reason for Not discussing candidates on an open forum is that this could provide a wide avenue for anyone wanting to "campaign" for a preferred pair of candidates, and supporters could fill up our inboxes with daily/hourly "spam."
          I agree with those who made the decision that the discussion of Baronial candidates should Not take place on the Ayreton Yahoo group mailing list.  Any commenter wishing to have broader input or feedback on their chosen topic could easily carbon copy other individuals, officers or candidates they wish to include in their particular email discussion.

          Yours Sincerely,
          Mary Buchanan, OP

          Remember that what is said in an open forum reflects on the author as well as the subject, and be careful not to say anything in black and white that you wouldn't want on the cover of the National Enquirer tomorrow...  :-)

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22, 2010
            Xavier,

            I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, I had intended to but it wasn't until I saw Mary's reply that I remembered I had forgotten to do so.

            While I agree that this mailing list is our primary channel of communication, the consensus was that discussions could create more problems than they would solve if allowed to take place via the mailing list. As an alternative, it was suggested and agreed upon that we use the website to provide information on the candidates. The candidates are encouraged to write a letter to the populous that will be posted on the website and will also be given an opportunity to speak to the populous and answer questions at the next Ayreton business meeting on April 11th.

            In your service,
            --Richard