[CHARTER] Notes from 2010-01-31

  • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2010
      I haven't finished rebuilding my computer after hard disk crash yet, but I've got enough done to be able to edit the charter and write up the notes.

      Ayreton Charter Committee
      2010-01-31 Meeting Notes

      Attending:
      Robyyan (Dennis Sherman) (T)
      Hal Raeburn (Gary 'Hal' Link) (T)
      Juliana Per da Novellara (Julia
      Needlman) (T)
      Phebe Bonadeci (PJ Reaney) (T)
      Twm ap Twm (Tim Dinan)(V)
      Julienne la Follette (Samantha King)(V)
      Henry of Exeter (Terry Doner) (R)
      Wolfram von Waldersbach (Terrence Fernbach) (G)
      Richard de Scolay (Bernal Schooley) (F)
      Hillary of Langeforde (Aggie Powell Berger) (F)
      Gareth Ostwestly (Jeff Berger) (F)
      Philip White (Craig Shupee')(T)
      Fern de la Foret (Laurie Erickson) (T)
      Etienne le Couteau des Roches (Steven DesRoches) (G)
      Guy Dawkins of Stockey (David Valenta) (G)
      Sean o'Shaughnessy (Tom Hughes)(V)

      (F = Foxvale, G = Grey Gargoyles, R =Rokkehealden, T = Tree-Girt-Sea, V = Vanished Wood)

      We had no correspondence received.

      We reviewed the areas of concern to the Royalty of the Midrealm and to the Kingdom Seneschal. Those are
      generally summarized as:
      1. inconsistency in the use of the terms Citizen and Populace
      2. how do we make decisions when the Baronial Curia is not in substantial agreement
      3. too many explicit limits on the Baron and/or Baroness in the Charter

      We decided Robyyan will edit the Charter for consistency in the use of Citizen and Populace.

      We agreed on wording changes for a number of other issues, specified in the charter change log below.

      We had a long discussion on section VI. Decision Making in particular, and on the general topic of checks and
      balances. We are trying to find a middle somewhere between "The Baron and/or Baroness can do anything they want" and "The Baron and/or Baroness can't do anything without a majority of the Curia agreeing to it" that will be acceptable to all parties concerned, including the Midrealm Royalty. This topic remains to be resolved at the next meeting.

      Next Meeting: Sunday, Feb. 7 2010,
      1:00-3:00pm
      At the home of Nicholaa Halden and Sean o’Shaughnessy
      2505 Rosehall Lane
      Aurora, IL 60503

      Additional Notes: Change Log for the Charter
      1. The word “populace” has been removed. The meeting formerly known as “Baronial Populace Meeting” is now “Baronial Meeting”. Other places the word populace appeared have been changed to citizens, with some minor wording changes to correct the grammar.
      2. III Membership paragraph 2 has been edited to clarify membership requirements for officers.
      3. VI. Decision Making paragraph 3 edited to clarify the Curia shall ask the people of the barony for their advice. The text here is not the same as we discussed in the meeting, a better idea came clear after edit #1 above.
      4. VIII Ceremony A. Awards paragraph 1 edited to comply with Corpora.
      5. VIII Ceremony C. Regalia paragraph 1 edited to show Curia in an advisory role
      6. IV Offices B. Selection paragraph 5 added
      7. VI Decision Making paragraph 1 edited to change the definition of a quorum
      8. VI Decision Making former paragraph 2 deleted (specifying number of votes)
      9. VI Decision Making former paragraph 4 deleted (specifying how to count votes and ratios)

      Additional edits Robyyan made for grammar and readability:
      1. IV Offices A. Expectations paragraph 1 bullet 1 (grammar)
      2. IV Offices A. Expectations paragraph 1 bullet 2 (consistency)

      The updated Charter is in the Files section of this group, named "Ayreton Baronial Charter - 2010-02-02.pdf"

      Or you can try this link, if email doesn't mangle it too badly:
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sOZoSyaKT1wuuBfldf0HImtl5rFSKYNVTsPdfU43IUKTFvWIJX-pMbE2f1DwUK1gVlC6sjF5A1VrzsB4FiRdd4_6XbB0Rpk/Ayreton%20Baronial%20Charter%20-%202010-02-02.pdf

      http://robyyan.googlepages.com
    • Jen Small
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
        Robyyan, thanks so much for all of your meticulous and thorough work on the charter and managing the charter committee.  I will be unable to attend the follow up meeting, but have taken this opportunity to read through and offer a few suggestions.  You don't need to read this email to the whole group, please take them under consideration yourself and present to the group if it is useful to do so.

        Item III-2: When it says that a privilege of being a citizen is to wear livery, does that also include displaying an Ayreton badge?  I would like us to have a registered badge at some point, and I would assume that all citizens can display, dunno if it needs to be called out specifically....

        Item III-3: Are citizens "expected" or "encouraged"?  Nitpicky, but you can take it or leave it.

        On a more private note, it sounds like there's a general level of concern and anxiety about the role of the Baron and Baroness.  I'm sure you will be working to resolve this anxiety.  I am guessing that people just need a little time to get used to the fact that it's "not a democracy".  I am guessing that people have this unfocused worry that the Baron and Baroness will go crazy with power and only allow people to wear blue and green sneakers at meetings or something like that... if they can get pinned down to specific concerns, I bet that will help.  And, part of this is, it's similar power that a seneschal has now, so it's up to the citizens to carefully give their counsel to the crown as to who they support for Baron and Baroness.  In any case, I wish you success in mediating the conversation!

        -Gianetta

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
          So, oops, I meant to send that just to Robyyan, but my comments certainly stand.  I'm sorry I won't be able to attend the charter meeting, but I have great confidence in all of you who have been seeing this process through from the beginning to come up with a policy that works for all of us, and is acceptable to the Crown and the Sensechal!

          --Gianetta

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2010
            I get a "web page not found" error when trying the link.
            Ansel

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4, 2010
              If you're having trouble getting to the charter via the link previously posted (not a huge surprise, Yahoo's file links are sometimes amazingly clumsy), try this instead:

              On the menu on the left side, select "Files"
              Scroll down until you see "Ayreton Baronial Charter - 2010-02-02.pdf"  and select it.  Your browser should download and display the PDF for you.

              This direct link might work for you: