Pennsic Gift Basket

  • Nora London
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
      Greetings to the List;

      (Seneschals please cross post to your lists)

      We have been asked by their Royal Highnesses to provide a gift basket for the East Kingdom Royalty to be given at the state dinner at Pennsic. This is a wonderful opportunity to show case our Incipient Barony and the extraordinarily talented individuals that reside in the shires of our area. I would like to know  if we can count on our members to fill a basket with wonderful items for our Royalty to gift their royal cousins this Pennsic.

      As far as what will be needed for the basket- The basket should be full of very special items (looking for that WOW effect) intended as either personal items for their Majesties of the East or for them to bestow as largess. As to time period they are primarily Tudor- Henry 7 -8th and her highness also does Persian. Hand made items would be ideal but suitable purchased items would also be appropriate.
      I would anticipate that we would need the donations by July 1, which gives us 6 months to work on the project.

      Please post back to me ASAP (at nhalden@... ) and let me know if you can contribute. If we have sufficient interest and support Mistress Sarafina will advise our Prince and Princess that we will be able to support them in this way. I will coordinate the collection and assembly of the basket.

      My thanks in advance to all for their support.

      YIS,

      Nicholaa

      Nicholaa Halden
      Ayreton MOAS
    • D'vorah bat Atar
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 20, 2010
        I'm a potter, and would like to contribute two sets of feastware in the colors (note, not the design, only the colors -- I'm a clay crafter, not a painter/artist) of the intended recipients. Well, actually, I could probably do the design too, if someone can be found who could hook me up with some stencils mimicking kingdom devices.

        You can see some of my work at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3751&id=100000547707109&l=051d051840 in order to gauge whether it may be good enough for this purpose; more photos will be posted to this album in a day or two when I can photograph the newest pieces out of the kiln. If my work won't serve well, no harm done, just let me know. :)
        D'vorah bat Atar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        http://www.consensualreality.net/sca AND
        http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2010
          Greetings Again;

          Thank you to those who have responded to this request. I have included the message below as a recap. (Please cross post to the other area groups)

          If you think that supporting their Highnesses request to provide a Pennsic gift basket is something that Ayerton should commit to please let me know.
          If you are considering making a contribution to the basket also let me know.

          It is my understanding that this project will also be discussed at the next Ayreton meeting.

          YIS,

          Nicholaa

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 30, 2010
            Thank you Nicholaa.

            As a barony we will undoubtedly be asked to step up and help in many ways that we as shires have not been asked to do in the past. Given that we are asking their Highnesses to approve our selection of Baron and Baroness and to make arrangements to come to an investiture event for us, we should do everything we can to provide a gift basket as they have asked.

            I would like to see us do this without having to lean too heavily on a small group of people. So let's have fun with this and get everyone involved. Even if you don't feel you can make something, then consider bartering or trading with someone to make an item for you to put in the basket.

            It is my understanding thus far, that the offers of support that Nicholaa has received, while a good start, are not at the level where we can unequivocally respond to their highnesses. Please either reply here or in an email to Nicholaa (nhalden@...) if you are willing to help out. Even if you don't know what you will offer, simply stating that you will support the effort would make it possible to inform their highnesses that they can count on us.

            Nicholaa, you can count on my support. I'm not sure what I'll make yet, but I will make something to add to the basket.

            In your service,
            --Richard

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2010
              I volunteer (again) to make two sets of ceramic feast gear in the colors of the relevant kingdom, purple and gold, if Ayreton commits to making the basket. As I mentioned before, my work can be seen at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3751&id=100000547707109&l=051d051840 and you can decide whether it's of the quality you're seeking. If not, no harm done. Just let me know, either way, by April -- it takes a while to get a lump of clay to turn magically into a goblet.

              D'vorah bint al-Atar

              On 30 Jan 2010, at 1:12 PM, Nora London wrote:

              > Greetings Again;
              >
              > Thank you to those who have responded to this request. I have included the message below as a recap. (Please cross post to the other area groups)
              >
              > If you think that supporting their Highnesses request to provide a Pennsic gift basket is something that Ayerton should commit to please let me know.
              > If you are considering making a contribution to the basket also let me know.
              >
              > It is my understanding that this project will also be discussed at the next Ayreton meeting.
              >
              > YIS,
              >
              > Nicholaa
              >
              > nhalden@...

            • Sarafina Sinclair
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2010
                Hi Nicholaa,

                You can count on me to contribute as wel!

                Sarafina :D

                --
                Baroness Sarafina Sinclair, OL
                http://ladysarafina.home.att.net

                On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Nora London <nhalden@...> wrote:

                Greetings Again;

                Thank you to those who have responded to this request. I have included the message below as a recap. (Please cross post to the other area groups)

                If you think that supporting their Highnesses request to provide a Pennsic gift basket is something that Ayerton should commit to please let me know.
                If you are considering making a contribution to the basket also let me know.

                It is my understanding that this project will also be discussed at the next Ayreton meeting.

                YIS,

                Nicholaa

                .

              • Margrett Norwoode
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2010
                  Obviously it wasn't in the direct barony contribution, because I arranged this before the recent postings. But I've already been working with Tessa on a project--I hand-hemmed a linen tablecloth & napkins for her to embroider for their Highnesses to give at Pennsic.

                  So there is another Ayreton contribution already made (smile). Let me also think about something I could embroider myself to contribute, and then I'll let Nicholaa know. I don't want to do napkins when I know they're already getting two embroidered napkins.

                  Margrett
                • lady_mairead
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2010
                    I just checked my correspondence with her, and this project was for Gulf Wars, not for Pennsic. So I will embroider napkins for the Ayreton basket and not fear duplication.

                    Margrett

                    --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Margrett Norwoode <lady_mairead@...> wrote:

                    > Obviously it wasn't in the direct barony contribution, because I arranged this before the recent postings. But I've already been working with Tessa on a project--I hand-hemmed a linen tablecloth & napkins for her to embroider for their Highnesses to give at Pennsic.
                    >
                    > So there is another Ayreton contribution already made (smile). Let me also think about something I could embroider myself to contribute, and then I'll let Nicholaa know. I don't want to do napkins when I know they're already getting two embroidered napkins.
                    >
                    > Margrett

                  • Nora London
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 17, 2010
                      Greetings to the List-               Seneschals -Please cross post to the other area lists

                      The Gift Basket for the East Kingdom is coming along very nicely. Currently we have the following promised items for the gift basket;

                      Set of purple and gold glass goblets- Wulf
                      Set of pottery goblets in the Royalties' colors- D'Vorah bint al-Attar
                      Bottles of Mead - Henry of Exeter
                      Scroll cases and copper tokens- Countess Syr Fern
                      Blank Scrolls for East Kingdom AOA level Awards- Hillary (and others TBD)
                      Leather tooled item- Marissa
                      Trim- Foxvale
                      Inkle loom trim- Yamamura Kitsune Gozen
                      Small tapestry bags- Nicholaa
                      Pottery Brush trays- Elaine Ladd
                      Embroidered item- Margrett Norwood

                      Several others have mentioned contributing items but have not decided the specific donation at this time. Thanks to everyone who has stepped up so far. I am certainly open to suggestions and additional contributions to this effort. If you are thinking of donating an item please contact me.

                      To help with ideas-
                      The eastern royalties' personal colors are green, white and blue for hers (charge is blue mushrooms) and red white and gold for his (charge is white greyhound rampant). They are early to mid Tudor (Henry VII and Henry VIII).
                      East Kingdom arms are purple and gold.
                      Other items that could be considered-
                      Various small gift tokens
                      Small blank hand bound books
                      Note cards
                      Other feast gear
                      Small boxes
                      And I am certain that others will have some very good ideas as well. Please share them.

                      Time frame- I need to have all donations turned in no later than July 1 to prepare the basket(s). I would like to present our efforts to their Majesties at Simple Day if they attend or at least on display prior to being sent to Pennsic.

                      If you have any questions on this project please contact me off list. ( nhalden@... )

                      Many Thanks to all who are volunteering their resources to this effort.

                      YIS,

                      Nicholaa

                      Dame Nicholaa Halden, OP
                      Ayreton MOAS
                      Vanished Woods MOAS

                    • Nora London
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 25, 2010
                        Just wanted to let everyone know that the project has been completed with the presentation and turnover of the baskets to TRM at Simple Day.

                        We had a nice presentation group to deliver the gifts to there majesties which was presented to HRM. She was very impressed with our generosity and said it spoke well of our "new' baronial group.

                        Many thanks again to all who contributed and supported this effort.

                        YIS,

                        Nicholaa

                        Ayreton MOAS