Hello, new "oldie" here!

  • Jill Elaine Hughes
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
      Greetings all.  I am Lady Marissa de Courette (Jill Elaine Hughes) and I am returning to SCA after a 20-year absence.  (I attended my last event circa 1990, in Barony Flaming Gryphon).  In the modern world I am the daughter and stepdaughter of Tom Hughes (Baron Master Sean O'Shaugnessy) and Dame Nicholaa Halden (Nora London).  In the SCA world I am a 16th-century Marrano (Spanish Jew) who is hiding her true identity and outwardly posing as a good Protestant and/or Catholic, depending on where I'm living at any given time----my domiciles have included Spain, Flanders, Calais, and (currently) England.

      My SCA interests are primarily A&S, specifically costuming, leatherwork (for which I received my AoA way back when), and Tudor & Elizabethan drama, performing arts, and culture.  I am also possibly interested in learning the art of fencing.  In the distant past I also volunteered as a chiurgeon, as a scout at multiple Pennsic Wars (Pennsic 13 was my first event), and as a babysitter to multiple royal families.

      I'm planning to rejoin the SCA starting with Tree-Girt-Sea's 12th Night Celtic Faire, and will be bringing my husband and two-year-old son in tow, in hopes they will also rejoin the Society with me.

      I had to pleasure of meeting many of my Vanished Wood brethren at the recent holiday party, though I have forgotten many names and faces already.  I look forward to meeting and seeing everyone at future events.

      In the modern world I live in Arlington Heights and work part-time as a professional writer, journalist, and novelist.  My husband Albert Chung (no SCA name yet) works in banking and my son Elliott works hard at being a two-year-old.

      all best,
      Lady Marissa de Courette

      Healthcare Writer, University of Phoenix Knowledge Network

      Novelist, Playwright, Journalist

      www.jillelainehughes.com

      www.jamaicalayne.com

      Avon Representative: www.youravon.com/jillhughes

    • D'vorah bat Atar
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
        Lady Marissa,

        Welcome back, baruch ha-ba'a! Good to see another daughter of Yisrael on the list again. I'm in Tree-Girt-Sea too, in West Rogers Park. We should meet up and have a nosh and chat. I won't be at 12th Night, but please have my share of the fun for me. :)

        D'vorah bat Atar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        http://www.facebook.com/dvorah.batatar

        On 7 Jan 2010, at 1:58 PM, Jill Elaine Hughes wrote:

        > Greetings all. I am Lady Marissa de Courette (Jill Elaine Hughes) and I am returning to SCA after a 20-year absence. (I attended my last event circa 1990, in Barony Flaming Gryphon). In the modern world I am the daughter and stepdaughter of Tom Hughes (Baron Master Sean O'Shaugnessy) and Dame Nicholaa Halden (Nora London). In the SCA world I am a 16th-century Marrano (Spanish Jew) who is hiding her true identity and outwardly posing as a good Protestant and/or Catholic, depending on where I'm living at any given time----my domiciles have included Spain, Flanders, Calais, and (currently) England.
      • Julia Needlman
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010
          Welcome back. I look forward to meeting you all. You know there are some cool loner clothes for your husband available from the Aryeton gold key.

          Juliana

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2010

              Jill,

              Brute and Elisat (Greg and Julie) have the gold key stuff.

              Sean (Dad)

[...]

            • nadezda_zezastrizl
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                > Thanks Julia.  I'll keep the Gold Key in mind.  My hubby is Chinese-American and he plans to develop a Chinese persona, so he's going to wear a traditional Chinese peasant jacket that he already owns along with some slacks.  But he may need a cloak or something, so if need be he will borrow one from Gold Key.
                >Jill/Lady Marissa

                Firstly,

                Welcome back!

                Second Tree Girt Sea has it's own Gold Key, and interestingly there is a bright red quilted 'happy coat'/short Chinese jacket that is part of it--I'd been threatening to through it into the silent auction, but I can make sure it's available for your husband if you wish.

                And of course, for anyone else needing Gold Key, the whole TGS stash will be at 12th Night as always.

                -Nadezda
              • Jill Elaine Hughes
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                  Does perchance the Gold Key have toddler-sized children's garb?  I'm not sure if I'll have time to make something for my son by next week.

                  Lady Marissa

                • jeffnaggie@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                    If TGS doesn't,  Foxvale does.  I'd be happy to bring a few items to choose from.

                    Hillary

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                      Nadezda said there is at least one one-se in the TGS stash.

                      Aethelwulf