Thank you to the Baronial Standars Team

  • Cynthia McCowin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2009
    To the fabulous 40 year Standards Team of Ayerton, Ravenslake, and the Kingdom of Ealdormere, I send humble greetings.

    I wish all to know of the scope, breadth and measure of a 9 month journey that culminated in 18 beautiful Heraldic Standards that will have the honor of traveling throughout the Midrealm during this current Reign. While their final home will be with the noble Baronies that continue to be our inspiration, it is our hope that our new Heirs will allow us the privilege of presenting them at Pennsic 39.

    Please forgive me for not posting immediately, for those closest to me know it is but for lack of time and not sincerety that my gratitude is posted now. Their generosity and compassion for an overburdened manager, which overwhelms me, is self evident in the beauty that is displayed before you in the Standards as well as the 40 year Timeline. I hope that, whether heard or not, the thanks that was read out in court at 40 Year was some small measure and that you all felt pride in seeing your names ironed forever onto the timeline.

    First and foremost, I would like to thank my indispensable leaders: THL Jocelyn of Lutterworth and Lord Richard de Scholay who were with me from the very start. Lo these 9 months ago at Stone Dog Inn where the seeds of this idea were planted, both committed to a blank canvas; a project that none of us had knowledge or little experience and embraced it. Together we brainstormed, researched and warily tested our way through the uncharted territory of a silk painting. Countless hours were spent agonizing over the decision for water based, non water based, silk or synthetic, wooden polls, non wooden, hem finishes, rolled vs. surged vs... nothing, Standard length, frame construction, colorfastness, weather resistance, flap tests and stain colors, all on a budget which would have made a handkerchief look expensive.

    Jocelyn, without your crazy mad skills at digging into each and every site to find the meat of what was needed, I would have had to work 48 hour days to have finished what you were able to accomplish in a few weeks. On weekends, during the week, over the phone and through e-mail, while we each had our moments of trepidation at setting stain to fabric, but we pulled each other through and I couldn't have asked for a better hand to hold through those dark woods.

    Richard, whose calm demeanor and methodical problem solving savvy gained us victory over the battle of design and consistent reproduction. You not only gave us efficient design in 12 foot Standard Polls and heraldic display, but did so with such ease that I never had to worry that it could be accomplished. Why, even in the eleventh hour when I found out that the timeline was to be displayed only between 9 and noon, you came to my rescue in the dark of night, the night before the event, picked up, delivered next morning and set up the timeline, which so many had toiled and was in danger of not being seen. You are my hero. Together you guys could lead a horse to water AND make him drink, it was my honor and privilege to work with you both and I look forward to that chance again soon.

    But from great leaders come great teams. While Ayerton was our generous sponsor, I want to emphasize the greatness of spirit, talent and time that was shared by our Ravenslake cousin, Mistress Arienne Ashford. Whenever I needed a hand, be it a scheduled work day or in the middle of the week when my schedule opened up and I got home from work before 8 or 9 PM, she was there (sometimes before I was :). There was no task too small, you jumped in with both feet and were willing to do whatever it took to get the job done. I remember on at least one occasion wondering if you would ever again see the pink of your skin under all that green paint!

    Lady Nadezda Zezastrizil. You too were at each and every work day from beginning to end and then some. Your kindness and gentle spirit kept us all smiling and your willingness to do whatever was needed was an inspiration. I hope that we get the chance to work together sooner rather than later, your calm, but tenacious demeanor would quell the most anxious of teams.

    Lord Johannes Machiavelli, I hear tell it is all your fault, I mean, idea ;). If this be true, you should be proud of your bouncing baby idea and all the hard work that you shared to bring it to its glorious state.  May you continue to be inspired and inspire others through all your good efforts.

    Lady Isabel of Kenniston, even though my house be on the other end of the universe from yours, it was a pleasure to have your sweet, patient disposition hard at work, huddled down on those chairs, working whenever I passed through. You never wavered from your tasks and I hope the miles melted away.

    Lord Roland Flashheart, thank you for opening up heart, hearth, home and stove for all to convene. Even in our period endeavor, your mad techie skills saved the day. Whether it was tweaking files, fixing the projector, going to fetch bowls for Chili, setting up tables, assisting in fetch and carry or just being our court jester. You kept the technology bumps from stalling us and our hearts smiling.

    Last but not least, Baron Thorvald Redhair, who, even when he was sicker than a dog with Bronchitis, came with his lady, Mistress Mary Buchanan, to trumpet our good work with his (sleep) song ;) Even though his initial effort was leant to one or two scandalous pictures of his slumber, he followed that up with gallantly wielding the mighty iron on more than one occasion. Let’s also not forget your response to our need to the order of our Standards! Surely, honoring those Baronies would have been disastrous and possibly offensive, were it not for your being at the ready with their Order of Precedence. What would we do without you!

    There are so many others from near and far (Ealdormere and Northshield!) who contributed to this project that this e-mail would take the length of a day to read. The following names are all those who committed to our project from our first call and may include a couple who came when we needed a helping hand. To all, I give my most heartfelt thanks and hope that we meet again and again in the display of these wonderful works. It is to this team that I give thanks and offer never ending bowls of Chili. Draco Invictus my mighty warriors, you should be very proud!

    Jocelyn of Lutterworth

    Tree Girt Sea

    Richard de Scolay

    Foxvale

    Arienne Ashford

    Ravenslake

    Thorvald Redhair

    Foxvale

    Johannes Machiavelli

    Rokkehealden

    Nadezda Zezastrizil

    Tree Girt Sea

    Isabel of Kenniston

    Foxvale

    Hillary of Langforde

    Foxvale

    Mary Buchanan

    Rokkehealden

    Elianora Saunfayle

    Rokkehealden

    Ottokar

    Rokkehealden

    Gareth Ostwestly

    Foxvale

    Phaedra Thorvaldsdottir

    House Redhair

    Miguel del Artista

    Northshield

    Merouda Pendray

    Northshield

    Ellen of the Scholars

    Bali ni Scholare

    Meliora Trewlawney

    Tree Girt Sea

    Edmund Langland

    Ealdormere

    Mona Borisova

    Ealdormere

    Mariah

    Ealdormere

    Robyyan Tor d"Elanoris

    Tree Girt Sea

    Margaret Norwood

    Tree Girt Sea

    Fern de la Foret

    Tree Girt Sea

    Ragnar the Grey

    Tree Girt Sea

    Tarl Thorvaldsson

    House Redhair

    Roland Flasheart

    Foxvale

    May we all meet again with the Baronial Standards, upon the fields of Pennsic 38, to share in the pride and friendship that was found in their making.

    Yours in service,
    Maestra Gwenhwyvar Nocturnal