youth fighter practice again?

  • KCMalone3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
      Greetings to the parents of youth fighters!

      I have talked with several area parents who have kids that are interested in doing a youth fighter practice.  Our previous practices were on Monday night.  These parents have requested a different night-which works well for my schedule this year.  Wednesday and Friday nights are the nights that have been requested the most.  I would like to hear from those who have kids who would want to practice to see what nights would better serve them.  The 2 criteria I will use to plan practice will be the number of fighters who can come and when I can get the site.  Presently, the site is between Wheaton and Warrenville just off of Butterfield Road.  I am in the preliminary stages of looking for other sites in this general area.  If you have other ideas, please send those as well.  Tuesday night is the only night that I cannot do a practice at all.

      Please let me know what night (a first and second choice would be nice) you could come to a once or twice a month practice and how many kids you would bring and their ages.  And I will get something going.

      YIS,
      Anna

    • Thomas Hughes
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009

        Kelly,

        Devin is now 18 and no longer eligible to fight youth combat.  He is, however, becoming a youth marshal.  He and I could help marshal youth combat.

        Sean

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
          Sean,

          I do know that Devin is now 18-I was hoping that he and you would like to come and help marshal.   ; )  Travis has also said that he would help marshal.  I am waiting on information about a gymnaisum that is not far from our original winter practice site.  Hopefully, that works and we will have much better room!  I will keep you posted!

          Anna
        • kunitsumagic
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
            Hi.  I'm a lurker.  I've been trying to hook up with the Society for years, but since i don't have any friends to take me to events, I've had some trouble.
            My son (12) is nuts about boffer fighting, but the only nights we could attend regularly is Thursday/Friday/Saturday.  I really want to do this, but understand that you need to consider the needs of long-time members.
            Just putting in a request.

            Treva Rodemaker

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009

              Youth combat is open to current and new members.  We welcome all those interested in learning the ways of our medieval marshal art.

              Sean

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
                Don't forget that 12th Night has lots of Youth Combat thisa year, including a Rose Tourney.

                Kevin Ambrozijwski

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 21, 2009
                  Greetings, Treva,
                  I am thinking about about having practice 2 nights a month on different nights of the week.  Maybe doing a Wed and a Friday since I have some that can not do Friday and some that cannot do Wednesday.   I will post once I have the site taken care of.  We would love to have you and your son!

                  Anna

                • ehepler
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                    Anna,

                    Have you considered incorporating the new youth rapier into the practices? Our kids could go to the Thieves of Hearts practices to work with those guys, but there aren't other kids. A youth practice could possibly increase the pool of youth rapier fighters in the area, which would be great.

                    Thanks,
                    Philippa

                    --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, KCMalone3@... wrote:

                    > Greetings, Treva,
                    > I am thinking about about having practice 2 nights a month on different
                    > nights of the week. Maybe doing a Wed and a Friday since I have some that can
                    > not do Friday and some that cannot do Wednesday. I will post once I have
                    > the site taken care of. We would love to have you and your son!
                    >
                    > Anna

                  • Clint Anderson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                      Along those lines, I am now a youth rapier marshal.  Not sure how many others are in the area, but if you are interested in having rapier at your youth practices just let me know and I will do my best to be there for you.

                      Anton

                      Anton du Marais

                      To: Ayreton@yahoogroups.com
                      From: erika@...
                      Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:32:53 +0000
                      Subject: [Ayreton] Re: youth fighter practice again?

                      Anna,

                      Have you considered incorporating the new youth rapier into the practices? Our kids could go to the Thieves of Hearts practices to work with those guys, but there aren't other kids. A youth practice could possibly increase the pool of youth rapier fighters in the area, which would be great.

                      Thanks,
                      Philippa

                      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups .com, KCMalone3@.. . wrote:

                      > Greetings, Treva,
                      > I am thinking about about having practice 2 nights a month on different
                      > nights of the week. Maybe doing a Wed and a Friday since I have some that can
                      > not do Friday and some that cannot do Wednesday. I will post once I have
                      > the site taken care of. We would love to have you and your son!
                      >
                      > Anna

                      Windows 7: I wanted more reliable, now it's more reliable. Wow!
                    • KCMalone3@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                        Philippa,
                        What night do the thieves practice and where?  Those would also make a difference in how I structure things.  I am open to making different places and nights depending on when we can get youth marshals.

                        Anna

                      • KCMalone3@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                          Thank you, Anton!  I will definately keep that in mind!  Presently, I do not have any that I am aware of, but that might change if we are able to add a youth rapier marshal to the practice.

                          Anna

                        • ian_maceyer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                            Anna,

                            The best time for Zak (11), Pat (10) and I to make the youth practice would be Friday nights. It would be great if they could fight against other kids. I have them every other weekend. Getting them to a practice on any other week night is an impossibility due to time constraints. However, I see no reason why I could not get myself there to help even if I can't bring the boys.

                            Also, Thieves of Hearts practice at Northbrook Highschool on Tuesday nights starting around 7 or 7:30.

                            Ian

                          • KCMalone3@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                              Thanks, Ian, for the information.

                              Since Ryan is the same age as your boys, this makes good sense to have them practice together.  Let me know what 2 weekends you have them and we will have a Friday practice that matches one of those Fridays.  The church gymnasium is near Danada.  If we can have that for even one Friday a month that would be great.  Personally, we cannot do any Tuesdays.  But we could have a practice on Tuesdays with the Thieves as a formal practice if there are enough youth fighters and marshals who want to commit.  I am thinking 2 nights a month-one on Tuesday and one on Friday night might be the best way to organize this for the school year.  Once the weather is nice out, maybe we can then find an outdoor site (my yard is still available).  But, we can work on that come spring.

                              I will post a final schedule once I know what day the gym is available and what weekends you and available with your boys, Ian as well as once I know when the youth marshals are available.  We can do the 1st and 3rd or the 2nd and 4th weeks and have Friday one of those and Tuesday the other of those weeks.

                              Anna
                            • ehepler
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                                As was mentioned, Thieves of Hearts practices are at Glenbrook North High School on Tuesday evenings. If there are other kids who want to begin practicing youth rapier, almost everyone at that practice is youth certified. My kids would be more likely to attend that practice if there were more kids there. If it's just them - they can fight at home. Also, Gerard is also working on finishing off his MIT and getting his background check so he can be a youth rapier marshal.

                                Monday and Wednesday would probably be the best for us, though "best" is a relative term. Weeknights are just plain difficult because of the travel involved and also Elizabeth's homework load. We could probably make a Friday or two a month, depending on whether it coincided with an out of town event.

                                Where is the site that you are considering? The hike to Wheaton (and sometimes out to Naperville) was so long for us, that we just ended up dropping it.

                                BTW - we have purchased four beepy swords. Two are primarily for our kids, and the other two are for others to be able to spar with them. The difficulty would be that other kids would also need punch tested armor, 3 weapon masks, gorgets and gloves. Our kids have that stuff, and would be willing to trade off to let other kids try it. But it would only fit kids the same size as them or smaller.

                              • KCMalone3@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 22, 2009
                                  Philippa,
                                  The Thieves practice is also a hike for us, so I do understand.  Wish we could find something 1/2 way between.   And I am not even sure where that would be.  I will see what I can do for that as well.

                                  Any Friday that I would set up practices for would be, to the best of my ability, not when we have major events.

                                  Anna