Re: [Ayreton] Re: [SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea] 12th night menu update...

  • misreall@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 16, 2009

      We have gotten poultry there in the past and the quality has always been very high.

      From: suzanearley@... <suzanearley@...>
      Subject: [SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea] 12th night menu update...
      To: SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: SCA-Tree-Girt-Sea@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 5:29 PM

      In case I don't make it to the meeting Sunday....let me know what you think.

      I still need to get over to the site to see the kitchen. I have figured out what I (and minions) can do the week before, the night before, and morning and afternoon of, but I wanna make sure how many cookers I'm gonna need in addition to what's there in case I have to change my plans.

      I have found sources for rabbit ($11 whole or $3.25/lb from larsonrabbits. com)
      I have found sources for venison ($12.50 for a 2lb chuck roast venisonsteaks. com)
      Mutton I was going to get at the local Halal butcher (for $3.29/lb)

      I can't imagine that I'll break the $1200 budget ($12*100 paying).

      How are the tables usually set up for feast? separated (and how many per table)? or long sets?

      All these recipes use what seems to have been available in the british isles in early-to-mid period (at least according to my research online).

      Menu (evolving):

      On table:
      marinated button mushrooms (button mushrooms are very close to the correct indiginous mushrooms)
      whole walnuts in the shell
      toast and welsh rarebit sauce in bowls

      First course:
      Mutton Stew
      Oatcakes

      Second course:
      Rabbit Braised in Cider
      Onion Dressing
      Baked Beets

      Third course:
      Roast Venison
      Parsnips & Carrots
      Spiced Cabbage

      Dessert:
      Baked Apples
      Cherry Bread (raisin bread with dried cherries instead)

    • V. Townsend
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 16, 2009

        Is this price for “dressed” or live Rabbits?

        How soon are you expecting to procure the venison?

        Hunting season has just opened and we have been fortunate to have gotten a deer the past three years.  They have provided us with plenty of venison for camp at war these past few years.  Perhaps Herne will grace us again this season.

        How much venison are you looking for?

        Dagan and Mica

        they say they have 6-7lb bunnies for $18.50. I'm gonna find my way over there to check it out.

        5955 W. Fullerton

        Chicago ILL 60639

        (773) 622-2813

      • suzanearley@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 16, 2009
          I was going to get 12 chuck roasts (2-3 lbs each). I've found them online for $13 at venisonsteaks.com.

        • AndreAllen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 27, 2009
            This may be so totally out of date that's is off-topic, but do please remember Gene's Sausage on, I believe, Irving; about 5000 west.  Iago knows.

            Sonya, from the western hinterlands... where our mighty huntress Moxie flushes out rabbits regularly.  She doesn't share, though, alas!