October Crown -- good for a newbie?

  • Judith Epstein
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 7, 2009
      I've got a friend that I've been trying to bring to SCA events since
      May, but she won't go camping. I see that the upcoming Crown
      Tournament is being held in a hotel, and I've emailed just now to ask
      her if she's interested. Is that a good event for a first-timer,
      though? Some events are better than others, I know.

      Those familiar with Jewish law: She and I both are traditionally-
      observant Jews, meaning we won't be able to spend money from Friday
      sundown to Saturday sundown, presumably during the whole event. Whom
      should I ask about pre-paying for event admission? Is there anything
      we might need to carry with us?

      Judith / no SCA name yet
      Protege to Master Albrecht Waldfurster OP
    • Wendy Pastrick
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
        Hi Judith,

        Crown Tournament is definitely great for 'newbies'. It is our bi-annual (2x a year) gathering where our next Prince and Princess are chosen. Six months later at Coronation, they 'step up' to become King and Queen. Thusly, the cycle repeats...

        There is a lot of pomp and circumstance when the combatants and their consorts enter the competition. Then, lots of very well fought bouts one-on-one until at the end of day we are down to the Final Four. These are the most exciting of the bouts with the final Two duking it out for the Crown.

        Of course, while that is the main activity of the day, there are also classes, and shopping and other fun things to do (just meeting new friends is a favorite!).

        Many events allow a pre-registration option, please check the website for the cut-off date (it's probably VERY soon). You may also be able to pre-purchase lunch and/or feast. However, you should plan to feed yourself somehow in the event you cannot buy tickets ahead of time. Keeping a cooler in your room or vehicle may be an option.

        Have a great time, and hope you and your friend can come and join the festivities!

        In service,
        Jale

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
          On Oct 8, 2009, at 9:30 AM, Wendy Pastrick wrote:

          > Hi Judith,
          >
          > Crown Tournament is definitely great for 'newbies'. It is our bi-
          > annual (2x a year) gathering where our next Prince and Princess are
          > chosen. Six months later at Coronation, they 'step up' to become
          > King and Queen. Thusly, the cycle repeats...
          >
          > There is a lot of pomp and circumstance when the combatants and
          > their consorts enter the competition. Then, lots of very well fought
          > bouts one-on-one until at the end of day we are down to the Final
          > Four. These are the most exciting of the bouts with the final Two
          > duking it out for the Crown.
          >
          > Of course, while that is the main activity of the day, there are
          > also classes, and shopping and other fun things to do (just meeting
          > new friends is a favorite!).
          >
          > Many events allow a pre-registration option, please check the
          > website for the cut-off date (it's probably VERY soon). You may also
          > be able to pre-purchase lunch and/or feast. However, you should plan
          > to feed yourself somehow in the event you cannot buy tickets ahead
          > of time. Keeping a cooler in your room or vehicle may be an option.

          Thanks so much for your reply! It's very helpful. Sounds like this is
          a great tournament to bring my friend Adina to experience her first
          SCA event.

          Both of us are strictly observant Jews, so we're used to bringing a
          cooler and a crock pot with us wherever we go traveling away from
          home. Food won't be a problem, though I'm wondering if it's possible
          to attend a feast without eating (and thus without paying for food)
          just to see what a feast is like. I've never been to one.

          I'll look into pre-registration. Good idea, thanks! I really hope
          she's interested in going, because if she's not, I can't go either.
          She's got a car, and I wouldn't have a way of getting there without a
          ride from someone.

          Is court held at a crown tournament? I'm guessing so, because that
          would be the place where the heirs are formally crowned and
          designated, and others are recognized. Yes?

          Judith / no SCA name yet
          Protege to Master Albrecht Waldfurster OP
          MIddle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
          http://tinyurl.com/ycdca9n
        • Wendy Pastrick
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
            That is correct!

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
              YAY. I've only seen court once, but I loved it. I hope my friend decides she wants to come.

              Judith / no SCA name yet
              Protege to Master Albrecht Waldfurster OP
              MIddle Kingdom, Midlands, Ayreton, Tree-Girt-Sea (Chicago, IL)
              http://tinyurl.com/ycdca9n

              On Oct 8, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Wendy Pastrick wrote:

              That is correct!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 14, 2009
                Judith--

                I'm sure if you let the event steward know, they would let you sit at a feast without eating given your dietary restrictions.  If you don't object to having the food near you, many places are also looking for people to help serve a feast, which can also be fun.  Locally, the Shire of Vanished Wood has an event coming up Nov. 7th in Roselle where you would be more than welcome to attend and just "hang around" the feast hall.  Just contact me off list and we can work something out.

                Dayle (Acelina)

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 14, 2009
                  On Oct 14, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Dayle Harding wrote:

                  > Judith--
                  >
                  > I'm sure if you let the event steward know, they would let you sit
                  > at a feast without eating given your dietary restrictions. If you
                  > don't object to having the food near you, many places are also
                  > looking for people to help serve a feast, which can also be fun.
                  > Locally, the Shire of Vanished Wood has an event coming up Nov. 7th
                  > in Roselle where you would be more than welcome to attend and just
                  > "hang around" the feast hall. Just contact me off list and we can
                  > work something out.
                  >
                  > Dayle (Acelina)

                  Serving's a problem because the event takes place over Sabbath, and
                  serving definitely involves 'work' which we're not permitted to do on
                  Sabbath. But I may speak to the event steward about non-eating
                  attendance, if my friend decides she wants to go. She's hemming and
                  hawing about it, and today's our deadline for letting the autocrat
                  know whether we're coming.

                  Judith / no SCA name yet
                  Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
                • Nora London
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 14, 2009
                    Judith,

                    I do not think there is a feast for Crown there is none listed on the event site. Court will be after the tournamanet and is listed at 6 pm.

                    You can serve at our feast for All Souls, (feel free to bring your own food if you keep Kosher). Sundown on Saturday Nov 7 is at 4:38 pm and as set up for feast starts at about 5 pm it will be after the Shabbat ends.

                    Let me know Off List if you would like to serve at our feast.

                    Regards,

                    Nicholaa
                    Feast Steward
                    All Souls