Special Announcements for our Kingdom XL Year Celebration and Coronation

  • young_happy
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2009
      Greetings All!

      We've made many updates for the event and plans are coming along wonderfully! Check out what will be going on:

      http://cleftlands.cwru.edu/mk40.html

      Keep in mind that we are still having changes to the event and that there may be some final changes. But, after all, that's part of the fun tradition of our Society!
      Here are a few items we would like to highlight:

      Parking and Porters

      Street Parking is Easy!
      There is loads of free street parking at this particular location in Chicago. No parking meters! No charge! We are not downtown, so the typical concerns about downtown traffic will not apply. The entire parkway in front of the site is street parking. Midway Plaisance is a city park, with wide one-way streets, and it's OK to park on BOTH sides of the one-way streets. Also, 59th St (the site address is 1212 E. 59th St) and 60th St. are also one-way, with parking on BOTH sides of each street.

      There is a small parking lot to the east of the site. However, it actually belongs to the next building over, although we can use it as unloading space for the taverns, the merchants, and the five sets of royalty. It is also the handicapped parking location. Not for general populace use, please.

      Furthermore, we will have drop-off areas directly by the front door, and our favorite local rapier household, the Thieves of Hearts, will be helping with the porter duties. They will help you get your belongings indoors to you can then go find a parking space and have less to carry.

      Day Camps

      Day camps at the site: Day camp space indoors will be extremely limited, due to the number of historical displays and the reunions of old friends. Please be prepared to share your space with new friends and to welcome other people to sit close to you. (This is a great opportunity to meet some new people, actually. Anyone at this event probably has an interesting story to tell about his or her own personal history, too!)
      Sunny weather: if the weather is nice, we will expand outside to the lawns of Ida Noyes, and to the Midway Plaisance city park. Pavilions may be raised on the building lawns. However, the city park has strict rules against pounding stakes into the ground--due to the underground utilities there. We really, really, don't want stakes the puncture the electric lines or anything else. Therefore, only pop-up shades will be allowed on the Midway.

      Schedule:

      We've updated the event schedule. Please look at the "Schedule" page for the most accurate times and locations. We are making an effort to make sure the times and locations are correct on the other pages but a few may have slipped through the cracks. Remember to double-check the final schedule at the event.

      For questions please feel free to contact the Event Steward (Autocrat):
      Countess Fern de la Foret, KSCA, OP (Laurie Erickson)
      773-764-1920
      fern1445-tgs@...

      Thank you! And we look forward to seeing many of you in October!
    • Fern
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2009
        Dear Aryeton,

        Well, this is the week before the event,  and everyone's working on the last-minute items,  just like me!

        The plan for the changing rooms at the event is being re-evaluated tonight/ tomorrow.

        Because we wanted to have a large changing room, I allocated the West Lounge, on the second floor, to be divided into Men's and Women's sides.

        However, there are some technical problems with all the previous methods for dividing the room (stringing a cable from the ceiling to hold up a curtain divider, stringing a cable held up by two ladders to hold a curtain divider).

        I'm now working on a plan to create a 6-ft divider wall of cardboard. I have 16 ft of large unfolded cardboard boxes, which can be duct-taped together and can stand up. But I need at least 25 ft, and another 10 ft would be good to create doorways.

        Does anybody have large cardboard boxes in their basement? refrigerator boxes, mattress boxes, furniture boxes? If so, can you bring them to Ida Noyes tomorrow for fighting practice? I will be there from 2-5 pm. We can assemble the divider wall and then leave it in the GG storage room until next week.

        If you can also email me that you have found some boxes, you will relieve my mind considerably!

        Thanks very much for looking for boxes!

        yours,

        Fern
      • Judith Epstein
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2009
          On Sep 26, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Fern wrote:

          > I'm now working on a plan to create a 6-ft divider wall of
          > cardboard. I have 16 ft of large unfolded cardboard boxes, which can
          > be duct-taped together and can stand up. But I need at least 25 ft,
          > and another 10 ft would be good to create doorways.

          Only 6 feet high? Aren't a lot of folks taller than that? I'm thinking
          8 feet tall would be safest for modesty purposes, yeah?

          Judith
        • spdesroches@att.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2009
            Greetings

                 I have seen some folks around here with indoor-friendly day pavilions. Is it possible that one or more might be available for use?

            Just Curious
            Etienne
            -------------- Original message from Judith Epstein <judith@...>: --------------

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
              Yes, 8 ft would be even better.

              But 6 ft could work. Since the eyes are only half-way up the face, a six-ft person cannot normally see over a 6ft fence, right? And  I think we can assume that the tall gentlemen will not be so discourteous as to try to peek over the curtain.

              in haste,

              Fern

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
                Thanks for the idea, Etienne!

                If anyone has any such pavilions, it would be smart of us to check them out today at the site. We need to be sure we have walls that will work.

                I will be at Ida Noyes from 2-5 pm, coinciding with fighting practice.
                Let's see if any pavilions show up!

                in haste,

                Fern

                > here with indoor-friendly day pavilions. Is it possible that
                > one or more might be available for use?
                >
                > Just Curious
                > Etienne
                > -------------- Original message from Judith
                > Epstein <judith@...>: --------------
                >

                > On Sep 26, 2009, at 9:15 PM, Fern wrote:
                >
                > > I'm now working on a plan to create a 6-ft divider
                > wall of
                > > cardboard. I have 16 ft of large unfolded cardboard
                > boxes, which can
                > > be duct-taped together and can stand up. But I need at
                > least 25 ft,
                > > and another 10 ft would be good to create doorways.
                >
                > Only 6 feet high? Aren't a lot of folks taller than
                > that? I'm thinking
                > 8 feet tall would be safest for modesty purposes, yeah?
                >
                > Judith

              • Fern
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
                  Dear Aryeton,

                  Guess what? I am again connected via cell phone. After I lost mine, I thought I would find it easily, but I didn't.

                  The new number is the same as the old, but I warn you that I typically keep it turned off when I'm at work or at home. The home number is really the best. Anyone who already had my cell phone can resume using it, however,

                  See you next week!

                  Fern
                • Wendy Pastrick
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
                    Hahahahahaha
                    Boxes?
                    You want boxes?
                    Just let me know.....

                    Wendy / Jale (who just moved and has boxes coming out of places I didn't even know existed!)