Ayreton (was Badge)

  • Christian Fournier
    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 22, 2006
      > It's indeed a takeoff on the Windy City...Ayre   Town.....

      The name itself was the brainchild of Jonathan the Osprey, who was
      seneschal of Grey Gargoyles at the time (or, possibly, he might have
      then-recently stepped down). It came into being about four years ago,
      when Grey Gargoyles and Tree-Girt-Sea first started coordinating their
      practices. Shortly thereafter, the chatelaines of those two groups
      created the office of the Lord/Lady Mayor (inspired by the ceremonial
      Lord Mayor of London), after consultation and with the participation of
      all five local groups (to my knowledge, that was the first "expansion"
      of Ayreton, though I think Jonathan's vision always was to be inclusive
      of all of Northeastern Illinois).

      Jonathan isn't around these days; for them who are interested, I've
      seen him around the SCA about 3 times since his divorce, (which was a
      couple of years ago). I know that he's still in the area (I've bumped
      into him at professional conferences), and that he's unlikely to return
      to the SCA in the immediate future.

      Christian Fournier
    • Andrew Otto
      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 3, 2006

        Sorry, I messed up did not include the reasons for the badges. You are right about the hand under the table and the pizza.

        The first one celebrates the REAL official animal of the area: the Construction Horse (gold (yellow) horse across a black stripe extending into the distance). Yeah, I know, perspective is right out in heraldry.

        Oh, a question to all of the fine heralds out there. How is wind depicted in heraldry?

        -*Angus*-

        suzanearley@... wrote:
        I don't get the first one, but the 'under the table' and the 'pizza on a restaurant table' I dig. :D

        Ghita
        From: "exit104" <exit104@yahoo. com>

        > OK, here are some tongue firmly in cheek suggestions.
        >
        > Please remeber that I do not have leet Hearldry Skillz. Anything
        > that I could not say in blazon-eese is in parens. Real Hearlds
        > should feel free to laugh, taunt and correct me.
        >
        > So.....
        >
        > Celebrating one of the official animals of the area:
        > Argent, on a pile inverted sable a horse statent or.
        >
        > Celebrating the political ethics of the area:
        > Vert, in pale a table argent a hand fesswise couped or.
        >
        > Celebrating one of our favorite cusines:
        > Chequy guiles and sable a rondel (divided six ways) or (with a) semi
        > of rondels guiles.
        >
        > Angus Fraser
        > -*Angus*-

        gt;