RE: [Ayreton] New member e-mail...

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
      Greetings Miles!

      Welcome to the SCA - it's a lot of fun!

      If you are looking for how to join in, here are some resources for you:
      The Society website has lots of information about what to do and how to do it.
      http://www.sca.org/  Advice For Newcomers is one of the links on the upper right - it includes things like how to develop a persona, picking a name and device, making starter garb (clothing for your persona), and an interactive map to help you figure out what kingdom/barony/shire you're in, if you haven't already done so.
      Once you know where you are in the known world, more specific advice can be offered.

      There are links to all of the known world kingdom websites, as well, and the Midrealm website has a calendar of events, with links to individual event pages, when they are available.

      There are lots of events coming up this fall; this weekend, for instance, Ravenslake is hosting the Middle Kingdom Academy of Defence, (MKAoD) in Lake Villa.  That's about 45 minutes north of Chicago.
      If you go to the website: http://www.ravenslake.com/MKAODXII.html
      You will see lots of stuff to do and watch.  Ravenslake has a large gold key - loaner garb - and we would be happy to garb you for the day, but I think you may need to email our chatelaine, Baroness Keiley, in advance.
      I would like to point out that MKAoD as an event is considered a practice, not a tournament.
      That's so that everybody can play, and people who are not yet authorized as safe on the list field may try out the new stuff they have learned in the various classes.

      I look forward to meeting you, and hope it will be sooner, rather than later.

      Tabitha Pennywarden
      Ravenslake, Midlands
      Middle Kingdom