Re: [Ayreton] Re: Ayreton Badge Contest

  • Tedesco da Venezia
    Message 1 of 48 , Oct 20, 2006
      yeah, I have to admit I was in the camp of "not particularly fond of it", mostly because I think in order for the concept of a united area to work, most things about it need to be almost universally accepted.  But the name has more or less taken off, and I've personally grown somewhat fond of it.  That's the reason for the contest for a banner-- try to find what's most popular among the people.

      So as to where to send digital submissions, I guess they can be sent straight to me and I'll catalog them on a web page before the "final vote".  Alternatively we can set up an album in the Yahoo group's photo section for submissions.  But the final tally isn't going to be until 12th Night, so in the mean time, you can just print them out and bring them if you're going to All Soul's, or upload them to the photo album and invite comments and discussion here.

      On 10/20/06, Dayle Harding <acelinaofderelei@...> wrote:
      Ok, I was in the area the time this happened, but wasn't really "in the loop", but here's MY understanding of it.

      It's indeed a takeoff on the Windy City...Ayre   Town.....

      Many did not like it, but no one came up with anything that was universally liked better....getting a "name" in this area of the world...and by that I don't just mean Chicagoland, but Illinois, is not an easy thing.  Other examples.....

      Midlands....it kinda made sense back in the day when Calontir and Northshield were still part of the Middle Kingdom, as we were literally in the middle of the kingdom.....and I remember all sorts of other names getting bandied about, but once again, no agreement.

      Bob the Midlands Dragon.....He started as Bob, and by the time any thought to officially try to rename him, it was too late...

      Hence, Ayreton.

      Hope that helps...

      Acelina

      Message 48 of 48 , Nov 3, 2006

        Sorry, I messed up did not include the reasons for the badges. You are right about the hand under the table and the pizza.

        The first one celebrates the REAL official animal of the area: the Construction Horse (gold (yellow) horse across a black stripe extending into the distance). Yeah, I know, perspective is right out in heraldry.

        Oh, a question to all of the fine heralds out there. How is wind depicted in heraldry?

        -*Angus*-

        suzanearley@... wrote:
        I don't get the first one, but the 'under the table' and the 'pizza on a restaurant table' I dig. :D

        Ghita
        From: "exit104" <exit104@yahoo. com>

        > OK, here are some tongue firmly in cheek suggestions.
        >
        > Please remeber that I do not have leet Hearldry Skillz. Anything
        > that I could not say in blazon-eese is in parens. Real Hearlds
        > should feel free to laugh, taunt and correct me.
        >
        > So.....
        >
        > Celebrating one of the official animals of the area:
        > Argent, on a pile inverted sable a horse statent or.
        >
        > Celebrating the political ethics of the area:
        > Vert, in pale a table argent a hand fesswise couped or.
        >
        > Celebrating one of our favorite cusines:
        > Chequy guiles and sable a rondel (divided six ways) or (with a) semi
        > of rondels guiles.
        >
        > Angus Fraser
        > -*Angus*-

        gt;