Pennsic

  • Wendy Pastrick
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 2009
      Ah, Pennsic....

      Arrived just *after* all the rain, so setup while a bit squishy, wasn't bad at all. Once the mud dried up some, our tent stakes even stayed in! However, the ever present scent of horse "goo" in the mud will not be missed at all.

      It was a whole different Pennsic for us this year - new camp, new friends, no kids in tow. Yeah, Party Pennsic by night for sure and camping by the lake was a whole new experience as well. Not to say we didn't do typical Pennsic things! We just didn't have to crawl back up the hill each night to go 'home'.

      For me, I managed to do some shopping (3 pair of new shoes!), took a couple of classes (which I will *totally* be stealing material from), taught and supported a class in Saidi Stick dancing, did some retainer duty for both Opening Ceremonies and Court, made it out the archery range with the Midrealm (15 points! Holey Moley!), got to practice a bit of henna on myself and others, tied several pink ribbons on folks at Midnight Madness (for Duchess Ariel) and made a lot of new friends while still managing to visit almost all my good fellows :)

      I believe I have also finally found something to study IN PERIOD that will capture my interest. But, you will have to ask me about in person when you see me...

      On another note - I did loose my bow case and bow stringer. If anyone found it at MR Royal (I left it on one of the palettes behind the POD) it is fabric, army drab green with a yellow squiggly bit as decoration near the top and the bow stringer was inside. Nothing expensive or grand, just would be nice to have back.

      Smiles,

      Jale/Wendy
      (who has also realized I just need a nickname of some sort since no one really uses "Jale" and "Wendy" isn't really even peri-oid. And cupcake is right out so just forget it.)
    • spdesroches@att.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hi Folks

             Sarafina arrived safely at home at 8 PM-ish Sunday night after an uneventful drive. I love not having to be at work the next day, making unpacking waayyy nicer than in the evening after 8 hours on the road. Saturday night in Royal encampment was one of the best nights we've ever had at Pennsic, with fire-pot stew, lotsa leftover booze, and a firewalk done by their Majesties and other brave souls who dared (I went 5 times!). Now onto Fox Hunt and 40 Year/Coronation!

        Etienne & Sarafina
        p.s. don't forget to catch her at Bristol Ren Fair!
      • Terry
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 30, 2013
          Greetings,

          Pennsic registration has opened. This year Ayreton does not have a land agent available and as such will be `leasing' land from another group. This means we will get all the space we register for but there will be a small camp fee as well as the need to do some guard duty shifts. Good news is we will be more centrally located and not `way up the hill'.
          If you want to camp with Ayreton this year, please register under "Great Dark Horde" and send me an email/message to let me know so we can keep the numbers straight.

          Thanks,
          Henry
          Baron, Ayreton
          Scribesquire (at) Comcast (dot) net
        • Fern
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 30, 2013
            I think this will work out just fine.

            There are some really nice things about Horde camp, in addition to the nearby location and the fact that everybody can find it.

            The Horde camp has a really good shower system, and a nice entry tent for guard duty, where they can take messages for you, and a huge campfire circle. Plus, they arranged a truck to drive the fighters up to the muster point for the Woods Battle!

            It was a good place to camp, and I'm sure that Ayreton will make a bunch of new friends this year.

            yours,

            Fern

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21 3:21 PM

                Greetings unto all,

                    Below is the fighting that will be happening at coronation.  Please distribute to any and lists as appropriate.  Assuming weather is acceptable we shall do all fighting outside, if the weather chooses not to cooperate, we will be inside.

                Heavy:

                1. First Tournament: A Challenge Style Flower Tourney to run one hour, each challenge should be 2 out of 3, winner gets 3 points, defeated combatant gets 1 point. Also the winner will choose who the flower will be given to and send the defeated combatant to the Queen’s gallery to get the flower and deliver to the designated consort.  Consort with the most flowers will get bragging rights about her/his fighter and a small token from the Queen.

                1. Second Tournament:  This will be a Team Pool Tourney.  Each team will consist of 3 fighters, each team must have two Weapon/Shield-men, and one fighter of any other style. The teams will fight each other once, the two teams with the highest scores from the pool will fight a final 2 out of 3 bout. Adjust the number of pools and format to accommodate the number of teams that sign up. Team names should be a combination of a Knightly Virtue, and a region name. Example, ‘Courage of Pentamere’.

                Fencing:

                1. A Challenge Style Flower Tourney to run one hour, each challenge should be 2 out of 3, winner gets 3 points, defeated combatant gets 1 point. Also the winner will choose who the flower will be given to and send the defeated combatant to the Queen’s gallery to get the flower and deliver to the chosen consort.  Consort with the most flowers will get bragging rights about her/his fighter and a small token from the Queen.  THIS TOURNEY WILL BE IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE HEAVY TOURNEY VERSION, THEY WILL NOT RUN SIMULTANOUSLY.

                    2.  There will be one or two other fencing tournaments.  TBD.

                In service,

                Henry, Baron Ayreton

              • scribesquire
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 24 3:22 AM

                  Due to unforeseen site concerns and contract requirements, we are required to make changes to the scheduled fighting to be held at Coronation on May 4th.

                  There will be two ‘Flower Tournaments’ of one hour duration each….one for Heavy fighters to begin at Noon and one for the Rapier fighters to be held immediately after.  When these two tournaments have been completed there will be time allowed for pick-up fights but only as it suits the outdoor space available, the weather, and the fighters present.

                  Unfortunately there is no longer an option for indoor fighting; in case of extremely inclement weather there will be no fighting at the event.   We kindly ask you to restrict the amount of gear that you bring to absolute necessities and to be aware that indoor storage space will be limited.

                  We ask for your understanding and support.  Please direct any questions you may have to the Event Steward or to the designated Marshal-In-Charge.

                  http://midrealm.org/greygargoyles/coronation.html