Summary update for the XL Celebration

  • fern1445-tgs@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
      Dear Aryeton,

      Because I will not be able to attend the Baronial meeting Sunday, I have prepared an update and a summary of stuff about the XL Celebration. See below!

      The update contains progress during the last month, and the summary is the listing of all the parts of the event.

      If you have any questions, I hope that the other staff members will be able to help you immediately, at the Baronial meeting. Or please send email or call any of us.

      If you see any errors, especially errors in contact info, please send me email ASAP! I want to get all those errors fixed as soon as possible!

      Thank you very much!

      Fern

      Update for Aryeton meeting July 12:

      1. Event ads were published in the July issues of newsletters for Middle, Northshield, Ealdormere. They have been submitted for the Aug newsletters of Middle, Northshield, Ealdormere and Calontir. They will be submitted before Pennsic for the Sept newsletters. The event ads have been free, except for Calontir (per Calontir standard policies).
      2. Royalty Liason (Sarafina) has been added to the event staff.
      3. Designs for embroidered patch site token are completed (Gwenhyvar and Joscelyn). Fern will consult patch company on cost and color choices and make final decision.
      4. Merchant fees have been finalized. Phoebe can now contact the merchants already on her waiting list and get their final decisions.
      5. Second website (Nadezda and Richard), shows good progress, with links to photos, Cleftlands history, Dark Horde history websites. More links and examples are welcome! Please write one-two sentences as an introduction to the new link.  http://www.foxvale.org/MidrealmHistory/

      6. Baronial Standards. Gwenhyvar is preparing a test model. After the test model has been prepared, there will be a painting party. Many people have volunteered to help!  Many thanks for all the good interactions!
      7.  Timeline of the Middle Kingdom. The timeline from the MK 25th Anniversary has been retrieved (Gwenhyvar), and it will be updated with peerage information (Twm) and other data.
      8. Fern will write and send invitations to Calontir, Ealdormere, and Northshield  Heirs this weekend. Will use leftover cards from 12th Night Rose invitations (Joscelyn).

      Brief Summary of event staff, activities, etc. Please send corrections or questions to Fern, or to the appropriate staff member!

      Incipient Barony of Ayreton presents
      Middle Kingdom 40th Year Celebration
      Saturday and Sunday, October 3rd – 4th, 2009
      Staff  (please note: email addresses are given in words, not symbols. This will reduce the chances of random spam to that email address. Please replace {at} with @ and {dot} with .  and remove spaces when you send email to these people. Thanks!)

      Steward (Autocrat)
      Countess Fern de la Foret, KSCA, OP (Laurie Erickson)
      773-764-1920     fern1445-tgs {at} yahoo {dot} com

      Drop-Dead Steward (Emergency Replacement)
      Master Philip White (Craig W. Shupeé)
      817-313-7575     philipwhite {at} hotmail {dot} com

      Gate Coordinator (Troll / Registration)
      Mistress Juliana Peri da Novellara (Julia Needlman)
      773-750-2180     julianeedlman {at} sbcglobal {dot} net

      Webminister
      The Honorable Lady Milesent Vibert, Baroness of the Cleftlands (Grace Vibbert)
      Grace {at} Case {dot} edu

      Merchant Coordinator
      THL Phoebe Bonadeci (PJ Reaney)
      773-443-9632     Reaneypj {at} yahoo {dot} com

      Tavern Coordinator
      Lady Bojei  Temur (Kate Bercaw)
      bojeibiz1 {at} comcast {dot}

      Royalty Liaison
      Mistress Sarafina Sinclair (Harlie Washinton)
      312-493-2255   sarafina {dot} sinclair {at} gmail {dot} com

      Crash Space Coordinator:
      Baroness Julienne la Follette  (Samantha King)
      630-293-5851 no calls after 9:30pm please
      Jullafol {at} aol {dot} com
      include “XL crash space” in the subject line, for faster response.

      History Website
      For more information about Midrealm, Calontir, Ealdormere, and Northshield history, see the following website, maintained by Nadezda seZastril and Richard de Scolay.
      http://www.foxvale.org/MidrealmHistory

      Pennsic Class
      Midrealm 40 Yr Anniversary Ideas and Plans. Those who want an early start on the XL Celebration can join Countess Sir Fern and visitors in a class at Pennsic. The class is scheduled twice, so you have two chances to meet the staff and contribute ideas. Monday, 8/3/2009, at12:00 pm in Tent 02, or Friday,  8/7/2009, at 2:00 pm in Tent 08

      Site: University of Chicago campus-- two adjacent buildings. Site will open at 8 a.m. and close at 10 p.m. Saturday. Site will open 10 a.m. and close at 6 p.m. Sunday
      Ida Noyes Hall
      1212 E. 59th St.
      Chicago, IL 60637
      Rockefeller Memorial Chapel
      1156 East 59th Street
      Chicago, IL 60637

      Site Fees
      $5.00 Adults
      $2.00 Children 6-12
      Free Children under 6
      $15.00 Family Max
      $3.00 non-member surcharge applies to anyone without proof of membership.

      Taverns:
      8am-2pm. The Fox's Head Tavern (Lady Kara Alltadottir ). Coffeehouse and variety of snacks, including Turkish Coffee, Sekanjabin, Meat Pasty, Mushroom Pasty, Hard-cooked Egg, Bread and Butter, Radish Salad, Coconut Date Roll, Children's Sandwich with Sunflower Butter and Jelly, Applecake, Cupcakes. “Merry Meals” available as a combo.

      8am-2pm. Donnershafen Tavern (Baroness Ailikn Olfsdottir). Lunch of Ham and Lentil Soup or Mushroom Barley Soup, choices of side dishes Beer Bread with Honey Butter, Hard-cooked Egg, Apple, Heraldic Shortbread Cookie.

      2pm-8pm. Dark Horde Tavern (Lord Aethelwulf of Dover). Full dinner of Lamb and Apricot Stew or Spicy Mushroom Shapale over Rice, Spicy Potato Curry, Pita Bread.

      2pm-8pm. Carraig Ban Tavern (Mistress Winifred Yseult). Full dinner of Slow Roasted Pork or Roasted Chicken Quarters,  Red Cabbage, Almond Green Beans, Homemade Roll, Honey Saffron Quiche.

      Hotel block: We have reserved a small block of 25 rooms at the SCA rate of $109 per night.
      CHICAGO - MIDWAY AIRPORT  Holiday Inn
      6624 S CICERO AVENUE
      CHICAGO, IL 60638

      http://www.ihg.com/h/d/HI/1/en/rates?hotelCode=CHIBF&rateCode=SCA&_IATAno=99502056

      Below are the details of each activity and display, with a proposed schedule. Some Coordinators have not been determined at this time.

      There are two kinds of plans for the event. “Activities” have a scheduled time, with a beginning and an end. “Displays” will be available for a longer time, approximately all day.

      Scheduled Activities:  Note: These are *proposed* times and locations. The Schedule will be adjusted later in consultation with the future Sovereigns.

      Activity: Merchants
      Time: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
      Location: Cloister Club (largest hall in the building)
      Coordinator: THL Phoebe Bonadeci
      Contact Info: reaneypg {at} yahoo {dot} com

      Activity: Welcome to the SCA/ Intro to the XL Event
      Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
      Location: Auditorium, 3rd Floor
      Coordinators: Hilary of Langforde, Duchess Brigh of Writers Keep, Countess Guenievre du Dragon Vert
      Contact Info: jeffnaggie {at} aol {dot} com

      Activity: Youth Tourney
      Time: 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
      Location: Outside Cloister
      Coordinator:  Lady Cezara cel Asemanare, Shire of Greyhope Youth Marshal
      (supported by Mistress Acelina of Derelei and Master Sean O'Sheaneasy)
      Contact Info: ldytempest {at} yahoo {dot} com

      Activity: Coronation
      Time: 12:00? pm – 1:00? pm
      Location: Rockefeller Chapel
      Coordinator: the Royal Herald
      Contact Info: TBD
      The exact details will be determined later, in consulation with the future Sovereigns Dag and AnnMarie. Obviously, some activities will have to be re-arranged. Stay tuned for more details!

      Activity: Pelican Rendezvous
      Time: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
      Location: Rockefeller Chapel
      Coordinator: TBD
      Contact Info: TBD

      Activity: Evolution of SCA Armor
      Time: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
      Location: Auditorium, 3rd Floor
      Coordinator: Sir Talbot McTaggart, OL, with panel discussion.
      Contact Info: Doug-Strong {at} comcast {dot} net

      Activity: Songs of the Current Middle Ages
      Time: 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
      Location: Auditorium, 3rd Floor
      Coordinator:  Lady Ursula the Widow,  Barony of Brendoken
      Contact Info:  ursula {at} 4th {dot} com

      Activity: Fourth Decade/ Novice Tourneys for Heavy or Rapier Fighters
      Time: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
      Location: Outside Cloister (or Midway Pleasance, if weather allows).
      Coordinator: TBD

      Activity: Laurel Rendezvous
      Time: 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
      Location: Rockefeller Chapel
      Coordinator: Master Llewellyn ap Teirnon (Mike Hobbs) and Mistress Annora de Sylveaston (Sue Fischer)
      Contact Info: llewhobbs {at} gmail {dot} com and Loerchen2 {at} aol {dot} com

      Activity: Chivalry Rendezvous
      Time: 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
      Location: Rockefeller Chapel
      Coordinator: TBD
      Contact Info: TBD

      Activity: Eccentric Laws of the Four Kingdoms
      Time: 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Location: Auditorium, 3rd Floor
      Coordinator: Duke Sir Eliahu ben Itzah and Mistress Arianna Llywd
      Contact Info: ariannall {at} aol {dot} com

      Activity: Baronial Challenge Pas d’Armes: A Tournament of Ceremony and Prestige
      Time: 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Location: Outside Cloister
      Coordinator: TBD

      Activity: Royal Court
      Time: 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm?
      Location: Rockefeller Chapel
      Coordinator: TBD

      Activity: Royal Cousins Rendezvous
      Time: 7:00 pm, or at the end of Court
      Location: Rockefeller Chapel
      Coordinator: Duchess Eanor of Amberhall
      Contact Info: duchesseanor {at} hotmail {dot} com

      Activity: Pot-luck Dessert Table
      Time: 4:00 pm-9:00 pm
      Location: Cloister Club, Tavern 1. (Kitchen #1 must close at 4 pm, so the space is then available for table(s) of desserts.)
      Coordinators: Lady Tacit Darby and Mistress Gianetta Andreini da Vicenza
      Contact Info:  snhagge {at} yahoo {dot} com and jenrsmall {at} yahoo {dot} com

      Activity: First Garb Fashion Show
      Time: 7:00 pm
      Location: Auditorium, 3rd Floor
      Coordinator: Lady Bridget Catherine Raghailligh (Heather Sparling)
      Contact Info: htsparling {at}yahoo {dot}com

      Activity: Post-revel at the event
      Time: 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm
      Location: Everywhere
      Coordinator: TBD

      Displays are open all day, depending on the organizer.

      Display: Forty Years of Award Scrolls
      Location: Elevator Lobby, 2nd Floor
      Coordinator: Master Johannes von Narrenstein
      Contact Info: jcash {at} indiana {dot} edu

      Display: The Great Book of the Midrealm
      Location: Elevator Lobby, 2nd Floor
      Coordinator: Mistress Siobhan O’Neill
      Contact Info: judith {dot} kirk {at} wmich {dot} edu

      Display: The Midrealm Reliquary
      Location: Elevator Lobby, 2nd Floor
      Coordinator: THL Azrael ben Shemhazai
      Contact Info: azrael {at} midrealm {dot} org

      Display: Masterpieces of Arts and Sciences (and the First Attempts)
      Location: Cloister Club, 1st Floor
      Coordinator: Baroness Kristiana of Arden, Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences
      Contact Info: kristiana {at} midrealm.org

      Display: Timelines of History/ Ancient Event Flyers/ Historic T Shirts of the SCA.
      Location: Library Wall, 1st Floor
      Coordinator: Mistress Gwenhyvar Nocturnal, and team from the future Barony of Aryeton.
      Contact Info: c {dot}wong {dot} mccowin {at} gmail {dot}com

      Display: Wall of Remembrance
      Location: Library Wall, 1st Floor
      Coordinator: TBD

      Display: StoryCorps. Tell your SCA stories on tape!
      Location: TBD
      Coordinator: TBD
      Wish List

      These are activities and displays that we would love to have be part of the event; but we need to have volunteers to see them happen.
      Please let us know if you are interested in any of the following!

          * Event photographer -- takes pictures and gets names including the reunion groups and other groups.
          * Technology center -- scanner and laptop so people can bring in old pictures and share them digitally.
          * Video or voice recording -- equipment to record the famous old SCA stories. Maybe edit them onto a CD later? (Reports from Calontir 25th anniversary said that collecting stories via recording was the hit of the event!)
          * StoryCorps organizer
          * Wall of Remembrance/Absent Friends -- posters/ pictures/ info about absent friends
          * Maps of the Known Worlde
          * Historic T shirts of the SCA / Middle Kingdom
          * History displays from Calontir 25th anniversary event
          * History displays from Ealdormere
          * History displays from Northshield
          * History displays/ website info from individual baronies
          * Ancient and honorable relics
          * Royal Regalia of Four Kingdoms
          * Kingdom Banners
    • Jonathan L Murphy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
        I can do the video/audio recording of stories and the scanning of photos too
        since they might go hand in hand. I have equipment for production and post
        production. Just let me know if you need my services and email me with
        questions. I plan to attend one of the Pennsic classes so I can ask and
        answer questions there. In service,

        Jon/Seamus
        jon@...
      • Fern
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
          Dear Seamus,

          Thank you VERY MUCH for volunteering to use your skills and equipment for story recording and photo scanning for the XL event.

          This is an activity that was extremely popular at the Calontir 25th Anniversary earlier this year, and it has the potential to be the highlight of our event, too!

          You and I will need to have more discussions about what, exactly, are the important prerequisites for good recording and which location in Ida Noyes will be most suitable, and how many people you will need to help out. We can talk better in person, or off-line.

          If we are very, very fortunate, there may be additional people with recording skills and/or equipment. I hear that it may be useful to have two or more recording locations! And, or course, there could be a huge number of old photos to be scanned!

          Thank you very much for volunteering! You have relieved my mind considerably, because I really wanted to have the opportunity to record the stories of our history!

          yours,

          Fern

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
            I was wondering if the XL celebration is also, as noted on the Midrealm
            Calendar, Coronation? I was wondering, because this isn't reflected on
            the event website, and I was curious as to the activities around that.
            Thanks!

            --Hilla