Leatherwork night

  • Jonathan L Murphy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2009

      I would like to announce a new offering for the Ayreton area.  I’ll be hosting a leatherwork night on Mondays from 6-9 pm.  All are welcome to make use of whatever knowledge I can share, my library and my tools.  Come and work on shoes, belts, pouches, leather armour bits, repairs or whatever leather needs you have.  First meeting June 26th, 2009 (no gathering on 7/26, 8/3. 8/10 for Pennsic and recovery).  Email with questions, details are below.

      Who:  Seamus (Jon Murphy)

      When:  Mondays (Excluding 2 Pennsic Mondays and one recovery)

      Time:  6-9 pm

      Where:  920 N 3RD Ave , Maywood , IL 60153

      More info:  jon@..., 708 344 8320

    • kiltie_celt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2009
        Seamus,

        I'd be interested in coming out to maybe learn some new techniques. I've learned some basics from Baron Etienne, but I think it's always good to learn as much as you can from as many people as you can. By the way, the Grey Gargoyles are tentatively planning some kind of turn shoe making class, but it seems to be taking an awful long time to get going. I've got lots of 5-7 oz. veg tanned oak shoulders which I was told would be good for making shoes. Would you be able to get me started making a pair of boots? I'm looking to make something similar to what a English archer circa 1356 would've worn. I have some basic tools - lacing punches, mallet, hole punches, dyes, needles, artificial sinew, latigo lacing, etc.

        Matt Campbell (no persona yet)

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan L Murphy" <jon@...> wrote:

        > I would like to announce a new offering for the Ayreton area. I'll be
        > hosting a leatherwork night on Mondays from 6-9 pm. All are welcome to make
        > use of whatever knowledge I can share, my library and my tools. Come and
        > work on shoes, belts, pouches, leather armour bits, repairs or whatever
        > leather needs you have. First meeting June 26th, 2009 (no gathering on
        > 7/26, 8/3. 8/10 for Pennsic and recovery). Email with questions, details
        > are below.
        >

        > Who: Seamus (Jon Murphy)
        >
        > When: Mondays (Excluding 2 Pennsic Mondays and one recovery)
        >
        > Time: 6-9 pm
        >
        > Where: 920 N 3RD Ave , Maywood , IL 60153
        >
        > More info: jon@..., 708 344 8320

      • Jonathan L Murphy
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 22, 2009
          Sounds good. I'm sure we'll get the TGS shoe class going eventually,
          everyone is pretty scattered in the summer. If you're Pennsic bound, you
          can take my Viking shoe class (shameless plug).

          Jon/Seamus

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2009

            I have a work commitment this Monday (11.23) and will not be able to host this week.  I also have some remodeling to do this December so I’m sorry to say that I have to suspend Leatherwork night until January.  I’ll post the resume date here for those interested.  Thanks.

            Jon/Seamus

          • Jonathan L Murphy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2010

              Thank you for bearing with me during my hiatus.  I’ve been doing some remodeling so my house has been torn up a bit.  I would like to start up again but with some changes.  I’ll be moving the gathering to the first and third Wednesday nights at 6:00 pm.  So our first night will be January 20th.  I’ll post a schedule closer to for those who are interested.  All work should be done so I’ll be ready to devote some emotional energy to the effort.  See you there and email me with questions.

              Jon/Seamus

              920 N 3rd Ave

              Maywood, IL 60153

            • jon@armlann.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2011

                After a hiatus due to explosions both personal and professional, leatherwork night returns.  Let's start small as we get ready for Pennsic.  Wednesdays 6-9 pm on June 15th and July 13th for now with August off for Pennsic.  I'll set the fall schedule after Pennsic.  Come over to work on leather or anything else I might be able to help you with.  I appreciate the patience of those who wanted to come during the hiatus.  Thanks and see you there.

                Jon/Seamus

                jon@... if you have any questions.