FWD: Pennsic Memorial Runestone

  • Kyla
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2009

      Forwarded by request.

      Please feel free to pass this information on.

      Tabitha Pennywarden

      Ravenslake, Midlands

       Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:11:06 -0500
       From: fianaclare@gmail. com
       To: pbardic@minstrel. com
       Subject: [Pbardic] [Fwd: Please forward - Pennsic Memorial Runestone]

      A public service announcement. I have written the words for this project.

      Greetings and salutations unto the Known World.
        I am Lord Valdis of Gotland, coordinator of the Pennsic Memorial Runestone.
        I would like to take a quick minute to describe our project and let you
        know how you can make a contribution financially or physically.
        This is a community project, in the sense that the community of Pennsic
        38, you will be carving the stone with the assistance of some carvers
        who will be on hand. The stone is approximately 9 tons and will stand
        over 7 feet tall when erected. The wording is as follows, '

        The People of the Folk-Assembly (Society) raised this stone in order to
        give honor to those who have walked these fields and fallen. We will
        meet again.' Written and translated into runes by Magistra Fiana of
        Clare. The artwork will includes viking elements of war and passage
        into an afterlife. There will be no religious references or personal
        names on the stone as it honors all who have walked with us. Each day
        for 4 hours we will have the runestone available for anyone to carve
        upon the stone. The artwork will be laid out already and tools will be
        provided as well as instruction with practice stones available for you
        to become comfortable with carving before moving to the main stone.

        For those groups that wish to carve together whether in memory of
        someone or socially, we will block off time for groups of 10 or more.
        Whether you want to carve the stone in memory of someone or simply to
        have the opportunity to carve a period style stone with period tools,
        you are welcome.

        Now, financials.. .unfortunately these types of projects cost money. For
        the tools, insurance, stone and delivery of the stone we need to raise
        around $6000 (six thousand dollars) in a short amount of time. For
        those individuals that donate a hundred dollars or more we will have a
        pendant in the shape of the runestone in bronze casted by Crafty Celts,
        for those individuals that donate two hundred dollars we will have the
        same pendant in silver, again casted by Crafty Celts. While six
        thousand dollars seems like alot to raise in less than two months it is
        less than a hundred individuals who feel moved to help sponsor this
        worthy cause. Any donation in any amount is needed and appreciated.

        Donations made be made at PayPal using our email address of
        pennsicrunestone@ hotmail.com <mailto:pennsicrunes tone@hotmail. com  or
        you may go to www.pennsicruneston e.com
        <http://www.pennsicr unestone. com/  and link PayPal from there.

        I will be posting more to the Pennsic runestone website as we move
        forward. The site is designed as a blog so we may discuss different
        elements of the runestone but more importantly I want to hear stories of
        our members who have passed and why you are inspired to donate or help
        carve with your hands...remember you do not have to donate to carve on
        the stone although your financial support is appreciated.

        Please help spread the word of this project by forwarding to SCA list
        and friends so that we may reach our goal quickly and have the stone
        delivered and honor those scadians who are no longer with us.

        Yours In Service,

        Lord Valdis of Gotland

        East Kingdom