Blue and Green Linen Cloth

  • Bernal Schooley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26 10:26 PM
      Hello Ayreton,

      At the last Ayreton business meeting the topic of cloth for tabards came up again. We decided to go ahead and order some from www.fabrics-store.com to make some official barony loaner tabards (order still to be placed), but also to share the info so that people can individually order their own from the same source.

      I brought some samples of the IL019 5.3 oz/yd linen and passed them around. I've used this weight for summer weight tunics and dresses for several years. Recently I ordered some of the 4C22 7.1 oz/yd linen for a new jupon for fighting in. The 4C22 7.1 oz/yd stuff isn't as tough as cotton duck or trigger and as such should probably be relegated to special use for non-practice fights where looking good is important. While this stuff isn't the highest quality linen available, it is very good for the price.

      For non-fight tabards I'd suggest the IL019 5.3 oz/yd stuff since the weave is a bit tighter with a slightly higher thread count. The thread thickness in the IL019 linen is a bit more even though still noticably varied. The threads of 4C22 linen on the other hand are thicker and vary in thickness more giving it a much coarser appearance from a modern view point. My armchair google-aided research shows that the thread counts of these linens is actually right in line with period samples of non-royal quality cloth (ie. what common folks wore).

      Also note... the photo for the IL019 emerald green is much darker than the actual color, see the 4C22 emerald green for a much closer representation of the color though it's still a slight more green than even the 4C22 emerald green shows. I just received both weights of emerald green and they are both very similar in color to each other. The morning blue looks pretty good beside the emerald green. While I don't have a sample in hand of the true blue, it appears to be the best blue option available and looks like it is not too far off from the morning blue. If someone orders it, please report back on how it actually looks in person.

      The IL019's below are on sale for $5.99/yd right now. If you place an order, enter the discount code of "ilovelinen" to get an additional 7% off of your order (not sure if this works with the sale price or not).

      I'll bring samples of this linen with me to Rose Tourney this weekend if you want to see it before you order.

      Regards,
      --Richard

      $7.13/yd - 4C22 Emerald Green, 7.1 oz/yd, 59 inch width, thread count 38/32

      $7.13/yd - 4C22 Morning Blue, 7.1 oz/yd, 59 inch width, thread count 38/32

      $6.65/yd - IL019 Emerald Green, 5.3 oz/yd, 59 inch width, thread count 46/37

      $6.65/yd - IL019 True Blue, 5.3 oz/yd, 59 inch width, thread count 46/37