Ayreton "Got-ya" Award Stories‏

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2009
      Howdy!

      Back in January I sent an email inviting people to submit any fun stories to Tournaments Illuminated for publication about getting recognition as a surprise in court. They were calling for "They Got Me!" articles.

      I've included my submission below that they will be publishing to share with those who don't subscribe to TI.

      We will also have local representation from people who used to live here in Ayreton. Ian the Green (formerly of Grey Gargoyles) and al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra (formerly of Vanished Wood) will also be published.

      I think that's pretty cool.

      Hope you enjoy the story! And of course, if you have one of your own, please also share!

      ~Philip

      My "Got-ya" story:

      After teaching children's arts classes all day, I was tired, sweaty, and covered in paint. I remember asking a friend, "Do I want to go dress up for Court? Or do I want to just change into underwear?" With her approval I pulled on braies and a shirt to go off to court. Ten yards later: "Philip, don't you want to put on something dressier?" Walking into the hall: "Philip, is that really what you want to wear for Court?" Finding a seat: "Oh, Philip, surely you have something elegant to wear?" Yes, I am slow … but not that slow! By that time I was freaked out. Even more people were trying to convince me to go change …but I didn't want to jinx anything. Sure enough, the Crown called forward the Order of the Laurel and asked if the Order was complete. They found me in the back of the hall… blushing … in my underwear …and too anxious for it to be true. The first words from His Majesty were: "Philip, we expect you to be wearing more than just underwear for your elevation…" I did – but my friends in my procession did not!