chair repair

  • Dolores Becker
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14 6:41 PM
      Sain Bainu!

      Somebody out there has got to know (or know somebody who knows) how to do a woven chair seat.

      Go ahead, snicker if you will...I have a bottom that needs caning.  Seriously.

      It's a very nice ladderback chair that is otherwise sound, but the seat is woven of something grasslike and is shot.  Help?

      Berngard Solgai, called Moose

    • Babette Colburn
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15 7:18 AM
        I believe you can get pre-caned seats at a hardware store.. I seem to remember seeing those once..  Of course, they'd have to match the outline of the seat you already have, so my advice may or may not be useful in that regard.. : )

        cheers,
        Ealswyth/Babette

        Somebody out there has got to know (or know somebody who knows) how to do a woven chair seat.

        Go ahead, snicker if you will...I have a bottom that needs caning.  Seriously.

        It's a very nice ladderback chair that is otherwise sound, but the seat is woven of something grasslike and is shot.  Help?

        Berngard Solgai, called Moose

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- ---

      • Andrew Otto
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15 9:24 AM
          Angus' ears perk up as sombody mentions woodworking...

          Woodcraft has all of the tools, supplies, and reference's on how to do caning. Check out this link:

          http://www.woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=caning
          The retual stores are in Woodridge just off the 355 tollway and on Dundee road at 355.

          The task is not difficult, especially with the correct tools and supplies. I am not certain, but using cane and other woven techniques is period as well. You could teach a class! ;>

          Angus Fraser - Penilond Labs
          -*Angus*-

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 19 9:18 AM
            Thanks to everyone who responded.  It had occurred to me that I could learn how to do it myself...in my copious free time (tm)...but I don't want to wait that long } ; ).

            Solgai

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23 7:00 PM
              Try a search on youtube.

              I would direct you to one but I do not know what kind of weaving pattern you need.

              Good luck

              Johannes Machiavelli

              On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Dolores Becker <danceswithwords42@...> wrote:

              Thanks to everyone who responded.  It had occurred to me that I could learn how to do it myself...in my copious free time (tm)...but I don't want to wait that long } ; ).

              Solgai

              Somebody out there has got to know (or know somebody who knows) how to do a woven chair seat.

              Go ahead, snicker if you will...I have a bottom that needs caning.  Seriously.

              It's a very nice ladderback chair that is otherwise sound, but the seat is woven of something grasslike and is shot.  Help?

              Berngard Solgai, called Moose

              Lord Johannes Machiavelli
              Shire of Rokkehealden
              Kingdom of the Middle
            • ameliedanjou
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 24 8:17 AM
                I saw a sign in the window at "The Furniture Recycler" in Forest Park for caning -- the phone # for caning was not the store's number. You could probably call the store to find the right number. (I was driving, so could only remember 2/3 of the number: 773-724-????.)
                The Furniture Recycler's number is 708-771-2020.

                Hope that helps,
                Amelie