A&S Day Schedule

  • AlexdeSet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2009
       Greetings!
           Please pass this to those who may be interested. It is the most current list of classes to be presented at the "A&S Day" event in Ravenslake (Crystal Lake, IL) on 7 March. There are classes in arts and sciences, including fighting arts, music, food, fiber, costuming, glassblowing, heraldry, music...the list goes on!
           Not to mention Patric von Brandenburg's herd of "Equi-Sims"!
      Is mise le meas,
      Alexander de Seton

      Classes
      Please note that classes are subject to change.
      If anyone would like to teach, please contact Phaedra.
      More classes will be added as they are confirmed.
      Class list plus blurbs – classes are 1 hour each unless otherwise noted

      Verena Entenwirt:

      Sewing Machines for Non-Sewing Fighte rs—
      9 a.m.–10 a.m.
      A hands on class entirely for non-sewing fighters on how to use a sewing machine. The class will cover the basics of a sewing machine, machine maintenance, threading the machine, changing stitches, and general stitching. Participants will create a padded arming cap to be worn under a helm. Sewing machines and materials will be provided. Limit 10 people. Mandatory class for those going on to the Pillaging German Garb Class. $5 fee for materials (free for those in the Pillaging Garb Class).
      Pillaging; The art of German Garb through looting or How to make a Male Period German Landsknecht Outfit for $30—
      All-Day Workshop
      A hands on workshop for non-sewers on how to make a period German Landsknecht outfit using looted items for only $30. Participants will make a Landsknecht Jacket (doublet) and pants (hosen). Class will also include documentation and history about the 16th century Landsknechts and their garb. Sewing Machines and materials will be provided. $30 fee for materials. Please email instructor beforehand (verena@...) in order to plan for the proper amount of materials and necessary sewing machines. The earlier class on How to use a Sewing Machine is mandatory. For experienced sewers and those not wanting to take the workshop, A Class Handout Packet is available for $10.

      Soon-to-be-Mistress Arrienne Ashford:

      Reticella 101 and Its Applications
      Blackwork Embroidery

      Calybrid Ine Tere:

      Basic Heraldry—
      Need help with your coat of arms or device? Not sure how to document your name? This class offers the opportunity to clear up some of the mysteries of basic heraldry.

      Master Alexander de Seaton:

      Field/Tournament Heraldry—
      Learn to announce combatants and perform on-field schtick! There will be a tournament immediately following this class to provide an opportunity to practice your new skills!
      Court Heraldry—
      The basics of announcing at Court de-mystified. A mock-court will be held following the class to offer practice.

      Mistress Sarafina Sinclair:

      Men's Elizabethan Clothing
      Women's Elizabethan Clothing
      A&S Competition-What to Expect and How to Prepare

      Master Sir Talbot:

      Armor Making
      Looking Good for a Pas de Armes
      The Development of Armor (and How to Research It)

      Seamu s Mac Murchada:

      Shoemaking

      Baron Etienne le Couteau des Roches:

      Pewter-Casting Demonstration—
      All Day
      Highly recommended for anyone who wishes to learn the fascinating art of pewter-casting. Wander up at any time to watch and His Excellency work, learn from his in-depth explanations, and feel free to ask questions! It's easier than you'd think!

      Master Christian d'Hiver:

      Practical Research: Performing Lassus' "Mon Coeur Se Recommend a Vous" in These Current Middle Ages—
      2 hours
      We walk through some of the easily-available sources to find a good text of a period piece of music, and good resources for authentic performance practice. Throughout, we keep an eye out for practical considerations and compromises we make for performances in the Society. Please bring instruments and voices.

      Catalin Zoldszem:

      Evaluation of Performances & Projects in SCA
      This class is about how to help people better their performances and projects in a positive way by pointing out the things they've done well, the things they can improve on, and how to improve.

      Simon Hondy:

      0ABreathing Life into Dough—
      A look at a variety of leaveners as used in bread baking.

      Gretchen Schneider:

      Medieval Embroidery – 2 hours
      Class limit: 6

      Tacit of Darby:

      Sausage-Making—
      A lecture/tasting
      Basic Dairy—
      A lecture/tasting

      Patrick von Brandenberg:

      German Mounted Combat-Armed—
      This class will examine some mounted combat techniques of the Lichtenauer school, including lecture, demonstration, and experience in trying selected techniques on Equine Simulators. We will also examine the basic, underlying concepts of the tradition, in order to more fully understand the system and where the mounted combat fits into it.
      German Mounted Combat-Unarmed—
      As a practical school of combat, the Lichtenauer tradition assumes that, at some point, the mounted warrior will become unarmed. This class will examine some techniques that can be used in this instance to protect oneself from an opponent- either armed or unarmed- using the same format as the first class.
      Historical Combat-Where We Find It and How We Do It—
      As a science, when we explore period historical combat we need to know both where to find the techniques and how to reproduce them correctly, including finding ways to check our interpretation. This class will explore these problems and demonstrate some solutions, including locating sources, deciphering the period terminology, and checking interpretations for accuracy.

      Mihri:

      Variations in Persian and Turkish Coats—
      The inner and outer coats of late period Persian and Turkish clothing have some basic similarities in shape, construction, and fit. They also have many different variations that can help identify them as coming from the Persian or the Ottoman Empire. In this lecture class, we will study miniatures from both cultures to create a general idea of the differences in fabrics, decorations, sleeves, necklines and hemlines of Persian and Turkish coats. Handouts limited to 20
      Middle Eastern Percussion for Non-Drummers—
      If you've ever wanted to pick up a doumbek or tambourine or put on a pair of finger cymbals and play along with the fireside hafla but are convinced you'll never pick up any of the rhythms, this class is for you! We will learn the basic strokes of the d oumbek, zils (cymbals) and/or riq (tambourine) and then graduate on to the most common Middle-Eastern rhythms heard played around the fire. We will cover beledi, saiidi, chiftitelli, masmoudi, and if we get really crazy, we'll try karsimilah (be prepared to count to nine). There will be a few doumbeks, zils, and a riq availalbe to try out. You may bring a frame drum, but be warned... the teacher has never played one, so we'll have to make that up as we go along! Handouts limited to 20

      Tabitha Pennywarden:

      How to Train Your Ear to Carry a Tune—
      This is a class for those people who would like to be able to carry a tune, but don't think they can. Carrying a tune is a skill that can be learned. If you can remember how a tune goes, you can learn how to reproduce it. If you don't speak in a monotone, you are not tone deaf, and can learn to carry a tune.
      This class is limited to people who can hear and speak, and are over the age of 15.
      How to Perform as a Strolling Performer—
      This class is for any kind of performer; anyone who has some repertoire, and would like to entertain people at an event, without benefit of a stage. Children under 18 years old must have a parent present.

      Kathy Westburg:

      Circa 1200—
      Circa 1200 is a living history display depicting peasant life in rural Yorkshire at the start of the 13th century. The roundtable will discuss the research into the details of the time, what they wore, what they owned, what they ate, etc. The website http://www.muckley.us/circa1200 provides information about the presentation as it has been developed for schools and fairs.

      Mike Pennock:

      Intro to Cut and Thrust—
      The class will cover the equipment and training requirements for anyone interested in participating in Cut and Thrust in the SCA, and will include a hands on workshop introducing the fighting style described by George Silver in his Paradoxes of Defence and Brief Instructions. The workshop will be comprised of slow work drills, so full C&T kit is not required. Participants will need a list legal rapier or C&T blade and may want to have a fencing mask on hand.

      Rose Marian:

      Taking a Powder (period spice-mixing)

      Aethelwulf:

      Glassblowing

      Antina Rickards:</ STRONG>
      How to Make Rapier Armor & Gambesons—
      This class discusses
      * the types of fabrics that can be used (including cotton, twill, silk, linen, pre-quilted, and canvas)
      * how many layers will be needed to pass "punch", depending on the fabric used
      * some of the easy to sew styles of armor construction.
      The class will also get to use a punch tester with swatches of fabric, to get some hands on experience on how different fabrics work under stress.
      Lace, a Brief Talk About Its Pedigree and Use During the SCA Time Frame—
      Come in, sit down and be filled with thoughts of lace. This class is a primer for anyone who wants to learn about lace or might need a refresher. The lecture will consist of the following topics:
      * A history of lace, and how it evolved through the SCA "timeline"
      * An explanation of the lace family tree, with descriptions of the different types of lace produced
      * A geographical study on what lace styles were produced in what countries
      * On how lace is made, and what materials can be used

      Philippa Montague:

      Making Children's Garb

      Katarina Peregrine, Kingdom Chronicler:

      Training/Warranting for Chroniclers—
      This class=2 0is required for group Chroniclers.

    • amysnewstart07@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2009
        Where in Crystal Lake?  Please?  I live in Fox River Grove and would like to attend if I can.  Amy

[...]

        A hands on workshop for non-sewers on how to make a period German La ndsknecht outfit using looted items for only $30. Participants will make a Landsknecht Jacket (doublet) and pants (hosen). Class will also include documentation and history about the 16th century Landsknechts and their garb. Sewing Machines and materials will be provided. $30 fee for materials. Please email instructor beforehand (verena@broomstich. com) in order to plan for the proper amount of materials and necessary sewing machines. The earlier class on How to use a Sewing Machine is mandatory. For experienced sewers and those not wanting to take the workshop, A Class Handout Packet is available for $10.

        Soon-to-be-Mistress Arrienne Ashford:

        Reticella 101 and Its Applications
        Blackwork Embroidery

        Calybrid Ine Tere:

        Basic Heraldry—
        Need help with your coat of arms or device? Not sure how to document your name? This class offers the opportunity to clear up some of the mysteries of basic heraldry.

        Master Alexander de Seaton:

        Field/Tournament Heraldry—
        Learn to announce combatants and perform on-field schtick! There will be a tournament immediately following this class to provide an opportunity to practice your new skills!
        Court Heraldry8 0
[...]

        We walk through some of the easily-available sources to find a good text of a period piece20of music, and good resources for authentic performance practice. Throughout, we keep an eye out for practical considerations and compromises we make for performances in the Society. Please bring instruments and voices.

        Catalin Zoldszem:

        Evaluation of Performances & Projects in SCA
        This class is about how to help people better their performances and projects in a positive way by pointing out the things they've done well, the things they can improve on, and how to improve.

        Simon Hondy:

        0ABreathing Life into Dough—
        A look at a variety of leaveners as used in bread baking.

        Gretchen Schneider:

        Medieval Embroidery – 2 hours
        Class limit: 6

        Tacit of Darby:

        Sausage-Making—
        A lecture/tasting
        Basic Dairy—
        A lecture/tasting

        Patrick von Brandenberg:

        German Mounted Combat-Armed—
        This class will examine some mounted combat techniques of the Lichtenauer=2 0school, including lecture, demonstration, and experience in trying selected techniques on Equine Simulators. We will also examine the basic, underlying concepts of the tradition, in order to more fully understand the system and where the mounted combat fits into it.
[...]

        Come in, sit down and be filled with thoughts of lace. This class is a primer for anyone who wants to learn about lace or might need a refresher. The=2 0lecture will consist of the following topics:

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 24, 2009
          Greetings!
               The event will be at Hanna Beardsley Middle School. I invite your attention to the Midrealm calendar or to the Shire website at www.ravenslake.com.  I look forward to seeing you there!
          Is mise le meas,
          Alexander

          Where in Crystal Lake?  Please?  I live in Fox River Grove and would like to attend if I can.  Amy

            & nbsp;  Please pass this to those who may be interested. It is the most current list of classes to be presented at the "A&S Day" event in Ravenslake (Crystal Lake, IL) on 7 March. There are classes in arts and sciences, including fighting arts, music, food, fiber, costuming, glassblowing, heraldry, music...the list goes on!
[...]

          Historical Combat-Where We Find It and How We Do It8 0
[...]

          If you've ever wanted to pick up a doumbek or tambourine or put on a pair of finger cymbals and play along with the fireside hafla but are convinced you'll never pick up any of the rhythms, this class is for you! We will learn the basic strokes of the d oumbek, zils (cymbals) and/or riq (tambourine) and then graduate on to the most common Middle-Eastern rhythms heard played around20the fire. We will cover beledi, saiidi, chiftitelli, masmoudi, and if we get really crazy, we'll try karsimilah (be prepared to count to nine). There will be a few doumbeks, zils, and a riq availalbe to try out. You may bring a frame drum, but be warned... the teacher has never played one, so we'll have to make that up as we go along! Handouts limited to 20

          Tabitha Pennywarden:

          How to Train Your Ear to Carry a Tune—
          This is a class for those people who would like to be able to carry a tune, but don't think they can. Carrying a tune is a skil l that can be learned. If you can remember how a tune goes, you can learn how to reproduce it. If you don't speak in a monotone, you are not tone deaf, and can learn to carry a tune.
          This class is limited to people who can hear and speak, and are over the age of 15.
          How to Perform as a Strolling Performer—
          This class is for any kind of performer; anyone who has some repertoire, and would like to entertain people at an event, without benefit of a stage. Children under 18 years old must have a parent present.

          Kathy Westburg:

          Circa 1200—
          Circa 1200 is a living history display depicting peasant life in=2 0rural Yorkshire at the start of the 13th century. The roundtable will discuss the research into the details of the time, what they wore, what they owned, what they ate, etc. The website http://www.muckley. us/circa1200 provides information about the presentation as it has been developed for schools and fairs.

          Mike Pennock:

          Intro to Cut and Thrust—
          The class will cover the equipment and training requirements for anyone interested in participating in Cut and Thrust in the SCA, and will include a hands on workshop introducing the fighting style described by George Silver in his Paradoxes of Defence and Brief Instructions. The workshop will be comprised of slow work drills, so full C&T kit is not required. Participants will need a list legal rapier or C&T blade and may want to have a fencing mask on hand.

          Rose Marian:

          Taking a Powder (period spice-mixing)

          Aethelwulf:

          Glassblowing

          Antina Rickards:/ STRONG>
          How to Make Rapier Armor & Gambesons—
          This class discusses
          * the types of fabrics that can be used20(including cotton, twill, silk, linen, pre-quilted, and canvas)