Combat archery program - from the Kingdom Earl Marshal

  • scribesquire
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2009
      From the Kingdom Earl Marshal:

      This program has been in place for a while, but thought I'd remind
      everyone (as part of the March 2009 Pale letter as well):

      To promote combat archery in the field, this summer, I will be
      continuing a way for Gentles that wish, to make combat archery their
      first authorization under the following Program.
      This program is not compulsory on any Member of the Chivalry. If you
      wish to take part in this program and you can't find a Member of the
      Chivalry in your area, please feel free to contact me and I will
      direct you to the nearest one that is available.
      Program for Alternative Combat Archery Authorizations:

      Purpose:
      · To expand the number of combat archers while providing a
      more "period" approach to the use of archery on the field of battle.
      · To allow those who train directly under a member of the Chivalry,
      the opportunity to authorize in CA without authorizing in weapon and
      shield first.
      · To offer continued guidance to combat archers in the Rules and
      Cultural Expectations for combat archery among the Heavy Weapons
      Fighters.

      Execution:
      · Any member of the Chivalry may undertake the training of Combat
      Archers.
      · Anyone wishing to authorize CA as a first authorization may seek
      out a member of the Chivalry for training. Members of the Chivalry
      may also seek out gentles they feel would be interested in becoming
      combat archers.
      · Any member of the Chivalry that agrees to take on such
      gentles also agrees to become responsible not only for their training
      in CA, but also the agree to be responsible for their training in the
      culture of the Heavy combat as practiced within the Midrealm. The
      Chivalry sponsor must be present during the authorization!
      The actual authorization must still take place at an SCA event during
      a melee as per the rules in the Marshal's handbook
      The purpose of this program is not to see how many new CA
      authorizations can be generated, but rather to increase the awareness
      of Combat Archery and to offer continued guidance to combat archers
      in the Rules and Cultural Expectations for combat archery among the
      Heavy Weapons Fighters. It is hoped that members of the Chivalry that
      take part in this program will continue to oversee all of the combat
      archers they trained.