Event Site

  • Tedesco da Venezia
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 16, 2006
      Great News!  We've confirmed that we can have our event in Glenbrook North High School's athletic wing!  This is the regular Thieves of Heart fighter practice site in Glenview, and is very easy to get to from either I-94 or I-294.  This site includes:
      - The fieldhouse-- a huge indoor track-and-field facility, rubberize floor, bleachers, high ceilings, etc.
      - FOUR small gymnasiums that we can use for feast, A&S, classes, merchants, populace, etc.
      - Nice washrooms ( i.e. not the ones that the students use, they're only unlocked for games)
      - Locker rooms and showers!  (but only if we clean them afterwards, which shouldn't be a problem)
      - A grassy areas around the softball field and the stadium for outdoor fighting.
      - The stadium itself, which we have confirmed we can do archery in!
      - Kitchen facilities are still being talked about, though there's a home-ec room we should be able to use-- five stations, each with its own stoves, oven, microwave, sink, utensils, workspace; plus a few large stainless steel prep tables.
      The only thing this site lacks is small classrooms for A&S, but it shouldn't be a problem to set up tables in the smaller gymnasiums for A&S.

      Now the price...  $500.  Yup, that's it!  This price is for their insurance policy-- we haven't talked to them about what it covers vs. the society insurance policy, but at such a low price I'm not sure it's worth nitpicking over.

      Dates for this spring-- We've confirmed availability of March 31st, April 7th, and April 14th.  March 24th is currently tentative--might be problematic because of a girls softball game in the above mentioned softball field.  Any earlier and we'd run into Gulf Wars, and the rest of April is reserved for War Faire and Spring Coronation, plus the high school has home games which will be using those facilities.  April 7th is Easter weekend, so we probably will want to shy away from that.  So realistically the choice is between March 31st and April 14th.

      Although this site is very appealing, nothing has been agreed to yet--I'm actually still chasing one other lead, and I know a few other people have been checking.  Anyone else still have a good lead on a site?

      ~Tedesco da Venezia~

    • KCMalone3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 16, 2006

        Anyone else still have a good lead on a site?

        ~Tedesco da Venezia~

        Here is what i found out about the church....it is approxamately $925 for the use of the whole facility including the kitchen (based on hours and # of people).  The one drawback is there isn't any place for archery and we don't have the shower facilities of the high school.  There are plenty of classrooms and quit a bit outdoor and indoor space.  The kitchen is large.  There is currently nothing but Easter on the church's calendar.  That will change I am sure, but presently, it is open.

        Anna Rakel
        (Kellee)
      • Tedesco da Venezia

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 16, 2006
            No, this is Hope Presbyterian in Wheaton.  It's where the Youth fighter practice is...

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 16, 2006
              In a message dated 10/16/2006 2:04:31 PM Central Daylight Time, tedesco@... writes:

              This is the Church of the Holy Family in Lake Villa, yes?

              Nope, Hope Presbyterian in Wheaton.

              Anna Rakel
              (Kellee)
            • AlexdeSet@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 16, 2006
                Greetings!
                     No.
                Is mise le meas,
                Alexander
                (aka John Seaton, Bishop's Warden, Church of the Holy Family in Lake Villa)

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
                  I now have a map of the school so people who cannot make it to the school can see what we're dealing with:
                  http://mopwho.com/GBNmap_event.gif

                  The main event areas, the field house and the three gymnasiums, are highlighted in blue.  (The fourth gym, D106, is filled with gymnastic equipment.)  Troll will be in the vestibule at the top-left corner of the Drop Off Loop, between the field house and the gymnasiums.  Note there is a doorway from Troll into the first gym (D108) which is kinda hard to see on this map, but it makes this prime space.  We're thinking either the main A&S Faire displays and/or merchants.  (There is PLENTY of space in the field house for merchants too.)  The orange rooms are music classrooms that we can use for the A&S Education Day classes.  Note E107 has a tiered seating, making this good for performances and lectures.  The green rooms over by the field house are washrooms AND locker rooms with showers.  The red room between them is the coach's office, which can be a great Royalty Room, especially since it has it's own private locker room!  As noted before, the only downside to this site is the Home Ec room which will be used for feast (in purple) is halfway across the building.  We DO have access to carts, and we have a number of plug-in roasters to keep food warm.  Plus, as noted on the map, the cooks can use the door nearest to the home ec room to get all the food into the kitchen.

                  Marie la Fauconniere and Lochlainn MacGregor of Ravenslake came to the site last night and were very pleased with the space.  They will be handling the bid for Regional A&S Faire.  If anyone else would like to see the site, please come Tuesday evenings to the Thieves of Heart practice, and I'll show you around.  Directions can be found here:
                  http://thieves.ayreton.org/
                  (These directions lead you to what is labeled "Merchant and Staff Parking".  We normally hold fighter practice in D102.)

                • Wendy Pastrick
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
                    'Desco, you're so cool :)

                    --- Tedesco da Venezia <tedesco@...> wrote:

                    > I now have a map of the school so people who cannot
                    > make it to the school
                    > can see what we're dealing with:
                    > http://mopwho.com/GBNmap_event.gif

                    Lady Jale bint Amar
                    Chatelaine, Tree-Girt-Sea
                    Blue Lotus Tribe
                    www.bluelotustribe.org
                    mka Wendy Pastrick
                  • Johannes Machiavelli
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
                      Tedesco da Venezia

                      What about the pools?

                      Johannes Machaivelli

                      --- Tedesco da Venezia <tedesco@...> wrote:

                      > I now have a map of the school so people who cannot
                      > make it to the school
                      > can see what we're dealing with:
                      > http://mopwho.com/GBNmap_event.gif
                      >
                      > The main event areas, the field house and the three
                      > gymnasiums, are
                      > highlighted in blue. (The fourth gym, D106, is
                      > filled with gymnastic
                      > equipment.) Troll will be in the vestibule at the
                      > top-left corner of the
                      > Drop Off Loop, between the field house and the
                      > gymnasiums. Note there is a
                      > doorway from Troll into the first gym (D108) which
                      > is kinda hard to see on
                      > this map, but it makes this prime space. We're
                      > thinking either the main A&S
                      > Faire displays and/or merchants. (There is PLENTY
                      > of space in the field
                      > house for merchants too.) The orange rooms are
                      > music classrooms that we can
                      > use for the A&S Education Day classes. Note E107
                      > has a tiered seating,
                      > making this good for performances and lectures. The
                      > green rooms over by the
                      > field house are washrooms AND locker rooms with
                      > showers. The red room
                      > between them is the coach's office, which can be a
                      > great Royalty Room,
                      > especially since it has it's own private locker
                      > room! As noted before, the
                      > only downside to this site is the Home Ec room which
                      > will be used for feast
                      > (in purple) is halfway across the building. We DO
                      > have access to carts, and
                      > we have a number of plug-in roasters to keep food
                      > warm. Plus, as noted on
                      > the map, the cooks can use the door nearest to the
                      > home ec room to get all
                      > the food into the kitchen.
                      >

                      > Marie la Fauconniere and Lochlainn MacGregor of
                      > Ravenslake came to the site
                      > last night and were very pleased with the space.
                      > They will be handling the
                      > bid for Regional A&S Faire. If anyone else would
                      > like to see the site,
                      > please come Tuesday evenings to the Thieves of Heart
                      > practice, and I'll show
                      > you around. Directions can be found here:
                      > http://thieves.ayreton.org/
                      > (These directions lead you to what is labeled
                      > "Merchant and Staff Parking".
                      > We normally hold fighter practice in D102.)

                      Sponsored Link

                      Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill.
                    • Jenna Klauss
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006
                        Don't think they played water polo back in the day!

                        Keiley

                        Johannes Machiavelli <rokkehealden@...> wrote:
                        Tedesco da Venezia

                        What about the pools?

                        Johannes Machaivelli

                        --- Tedesco da Venezia <tedesco@ayreton. org> wrote:

                        > I now have a map of the school so people who cannot
                        > make it to the school
                        > can see what we're dealing with:
                        > http://mopwho. com/GBNmap_ event.gif
                        >
                        > The main event areas, the field house and the three
                        > gymnasiums, are
                        > highlighted in blue. (The fourth gym, D106, is
                        > filled with gymnastic
                        > equipment.) Troll will be in the vestibule at the
                        > top-left corner of the
                        > Drop Off Loop, between the field house and the
                        > gymnasiums. Note there is a
                        > doorway from Troll into the first gym (D108) which
                        > is kinda hard to see on
                        > this map, but it makes this prime space. We're
                        > thinking either the main A&S
                        > Faire displays and/or merchants. (There is PLENTY
                        > of space in the field
                        > house for merchants too.) The orange rooms are
                        > music classrooms that we can
                        > use for the A&S Education Day classes. Note E107
                        > has a tiered seating,
                        > making this good for performances and lectures. The
                        > green rooms over by the
                        > field house are washrooms AND locker rooms with
                        > showers. The red room
                        > between them is the coach's office, which can be a
                        > great Royalty Room,
                        > especially since it has it's own private locker
                        > room! As noted before, the
                        > only downside to this site is the Home Ec room which
                        > will be used for feast
                        > (in purple) is halfway across the building. We DO
                        > have access to carts, and
                        > we have a number of plug-in roasters to keep food
                        > warm. Plus, as noted on
                        > the map, the cooks can use the door nearest to the
                        > home ec room to get all
                        > the food into the kitchen.
                        >

                        > Marie la Fauconniere and Lochlainn MacGregor of
                        > Ravenslake came to the site
                        > last night and were very pleased with the space.
                        > They will be handling the
                        > bid for Regional A&S Faire. If anyone else would
                        > like to see the site,
                        > please come Tuesday evenings to the Thieves of Heart
                        > practice, and I'll show
                        > you around. Directions can be found here:
                        > http://thieves. ayreton.org/
                        > (These directions lead you to what is labeled
                        > "Merchant and Staff Parking".
                        > We normally hold fighter practice in D102.)

                        Sponsored Link

                        Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill.
                        Sign up now. http://www.vonage. com/startsavingn ow/

                        Sponsored Link

                        Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill. Sign up now.

                      • Dolores Becker
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                          Aquatic fencing, anyone?

                          Moose

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                            Perhaps not, but the could have!  What about jousting in boats?  D'you think they'd mind a viking funeral, if we kept is small?  } ; )

                            Moose

                            Johannes Machiavelli <rokkehealden@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                            Tedesco da Venezia

                            What about the pools?

                            Johannes Machaivelli

                            --- Tedesco da Venezia <tedesco@ayreton. org> wrote:

                            > I now have a map of the school so people who cannot
                            > make it to the school
                            > can see what we're dealing with:
                            > http://mopwho. com/GBNmap_ event.gif
                            >
                            > The main event areas, the field house and the three
                            > gymnasiums, are
                            > highlighted in blue. (The fourth gym, D106, is
                            > filled with gymnastic
                            > equipment.) Troll will be in the vestibule at the
                            > top-left corner of the
                            > Drop Off Loop, between the field house and the
                            > gymnasiums. Note there is a
                            > doorway from Troll into the first gym (D108) which
                            > is kinda hard to see on
                            > this map, but it makes this prime space. We're
                            > thinking either the main A&S
                            > Faire displays and/or merchants. (There is PLENTY
                            > of space in the field
                            > house for merchants too.) The orange rooms are
                            > music classrooms that we can
                            > use for the A&S Education Day classes. Note E107
                            > has a tiered seating,
                            > making this good for performances and lectures. The
                            > green rooms over by the
                            > field house are washrooms AND locker rooms with
                            > showers. The red room
                            > between them is the coach's office, which can be a
                            > great Royalty Room,
                            > especially since it has it's own private locker
                            > room! As noted before, the
                            > only downside to this site is the Home Ec room which
                            > will be used for feast
                            > (in purple) is halfway across the building. We DO
                            > have access to carts, and
                            > we have a number of plug-in roasters to keep food
                            > warm. Plus, as noted on
                            > the map, the cooks can use the door nearest to the
                            > home ec room to get all
                            > the food into the kitchen.
                            >

                            > Marie la Fauconniere and Lochlainn MacGregor of
                            > Ravenslake came to the site
                            > last night and were very pleased with the space.
                            > They will be handling the
                            > bid for Regional A&S Faire. If anyone else would
                            > like to see the site,
                            > please come Tuesday evenings to the Thieves of Heart
                            > practice, and I'll show
                            > you around. Directions can be found here:
                            > http://thieves. ayreton.org/
                            > (These directions lead you to what is labeled
                            > "Merchant and Staff Parking".
                            > We normally hold fighter practice in D102.)

                            Sponsored Link

                            Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill.
                            Sign up now. http://www.vonage. com/startsavingn ow/

                            Sponsored Link

                            Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your phone bill. Sign up now.

                          • xzeguian
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                              I could make a comment about Marco Polo and Venice but I will
                              restrain myself...

                              Isabel