Re: [Ayreton] Armor question

  • hideyori@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
      I'd like to thank everyone for thier advice and very helpful thoughts.  I had the same misgivings as most of you stated and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the last decade or so.  :)

      Thank you,

      Henry of Exeter

      From: Gocauo <gocauo@...>

      I have not heard of them either, but I myself am getting back after a 6 year hiatus.

      As others have stated
      • Edges will have to covered to protect opponents blade, either leather or padding
      • Can't tell from the picture but there cannot be any projections more than 3/8 of an inch
      • Strap set up appears akward.  Most folks strap thier shield the way Alexander describes it, however I have always used a center boss.
      • You will either need a basket or a gauntlet behind the shield
      • Again, may not be the right size for you
      • $88 seems a little much

      If you have your heart set on metal shield, Illusion Armory (no relation) has T-6 aluminum heaters starting at $65.  Or even cheaper you can go by your local city works department and try to buy an old street sign off of them.

      You state that you are getting back into it after a 13 year break.  Perhaps you should consider some 1/2 inch plywood for now until you find a size or shape you are comfortable with.  It's a little heavy, but cheap to replace and you can cut is down very easily.

      Senhor G�cauo Ramiri�
      Squired to Jarl Kveldulfr af �lfsgarr, MSCA
      The Middle Kingdom
      Shire of Rokkehealden