Reenactor Fest

  • AlexdeSet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2009
      Greetings!
           Reenactorfest 5 will take place February 6-8 at the Westin Chicago North Shore, Wheeling IL. (near Chicago )Hours are 3-7 Friday, 9-6 Saturday, and 9-2 Sunday. Site fee/admission is $20 for one day, $25 for two days, and $30 for three days.
           There will be an information booth sponsored for the SCA, and I hope to have Chatelaine info available, and I ask all groups to either give me information (fliers) about your group/activity, or give me the info and I'll put together fliers. I would like to have small scale, individual demos at the both all day if I could (well, during Fest hours). I will need people to be at the booth in garb to al lest talk SCA and hand out fliers if you are not doing some art or science. Bring A&S projects, demo drop spinning or lace making, metal weaving, leather work, calligraphy & illumination...whatever it is that you do in the SCA.
           Sign up (by posting to me at "alexdeset"at"aol.com") for a time period during the Fest (3-7 Friday 6 Feb, 9-6 Saturday 7 Feb, or 9-2 Sunday 8 Feb). One-hour blocks are convenient, but if you want to be there for more time, just sign up!.
           I posted the entry fees above, BUT if you are an SCA volunteer, your site fee is only $5 per day!
           Please let me know before 1 February, so I can get a list of $5 fee people to the Reenactor Fest admin folks.

           Also, there is to be a short "Pas d'Armes" on Saturday 7 Feb from 12:45 to 1:45. I would like to invite some folks with excellent looking kit inhabited by veteran fighters to contact me to sign up for this event. It will include SCA rattan combat and SCA cut-and-thrust fighting in a "Pas d'Armes" setting. Once again, please contact me at "alexdeset"at"aol.com") before 1 February if you want to participate. Same $5 site fee per day applies (ok, the "Pas" is only one day, but you might want to go to the Fest on more than one day!).
      Respectfully,
      Alexander de Seton,
      Some Guy From Ravenslake
    • Dale Dreessen
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
        Are you needing more heavy fighters? What day and time would they need to be there?
         Ehrenfried Schertenleib
        Squire to Sir Gunther Von Brandenburg
        Teufelhund of the Midrealm

            From: Robin Goldman
        1b. Re: Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling
            From: Folo Watkins
        1c. Re: Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling
            From: Folo Watkins
        1d. Re: Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling
            From: AlexdeSet@...

        2. Reenactor Fest Plug
            From: Eleanor (Robin)

        3a. Re: Baronial Business Meeting Agenda: Sunday February 8, 2009 at 6:0
            From: suzanearley@...

        4. No SCA Discount for Reenactor Fest
            From: AlexdeSet@...

        5. SCA Information Booth Staff
            From: AlexdeSet@...

        Messages
        1a. Re: Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling
            Posted by: "Robin Goldman" ladyscribe07@... ladyscribe07
            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:03 am ((PST))

        Dear Alexander,

        I will be attending this event and as for volunteering.  Please let me know what you need in the way of help. I can help out a little bit Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.  Are you the group that's in the foyer?  If you are, I understand your group gets a discount.  Would I be offered the same discount?  How do I let people know?

        Please send me your schedule needs, discount details, etc.

        Cheers,

        Robin Goldman(Lady Eleanor Ravenild)

        From: AlexdeSet@aol. com <AlexdeSet@aol. com>

        Subject: [Ayreton] Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling

        To: ShireofRavenslake@ yahoogroups. com, Ayreton@yahoogroups .com, TerraeFinis@ yahoogroups. com, baronaoc@aol. com, baront_2000@ yahoo.com, twlyon24@gmail. com

        Date: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 3:01 PM

        Greetings!

             I am the SCA contact person for Reenactorfest 5. It will be held on 6-9 February 2009 at the Westin Chicago North Shore (www.westin.com/ chicagonorthshor e).

             Reenactorfest is a convention for reenactors from all time periods. Last year, I saw picts, Romans, crusaders, English Civil War folks,  American Civil War folks, folks from the Spanish American War, Spanish Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm, Iraq...pretty much any conflict in history.

             The person who runs the Fest was looking for some SCA participation, and I said I knew some people. So, here is the deal.

             The SCA will have a display set up in a common area, centered on the merchant booth (14 Cent Flemish design) made by Lochlainn MacGregor. It is a good attention grabber, and can hold displays, tables, etc. I expect that we will want one or two people there all the time, to hand out SCA Chatelaine fliers, and info on the SCA and events. I'd like to have short, cozy demos for passers by-games, fiber arts, cooking, calligraphy and illumination, possibly pewter casting, etc...

             We also have the opportunity to have classes in rooms provided by Reenactorfest. Class periods are 45-55 minutes, but we can shift times to accommodate our needs. I am looking for class instructors in most any art or science (you know, this is a "wet" site...), armoring, glassblowing (ok, without the furnace-a display and description? ), various fiber arts, garb making, pattern making, etc. I expect the classes will be SCA oriented, but there is no limit on the time period covered. Do not be constrained because all students will not be SCA, look at it as an opportunity to show folks what you know!

             Finally, we have the opportunity to schedule "kinetic" demos-fighting, dancing, music, etc. These demos will be held in a demo area shared by other reenactors doing their own displays.

             All persons involved in a live demo or seminar will pay only $5.00 to get in that day. All other days they attend they pay the standard gate fee for that day(s). Here is an example of how it will work. The person who brings the spinning wheel (for instance) and does that live display all day gets in for only $5 (instead of the $20 gate

        fee). His or her friends pay the regular fee. So, folks who are >participants< or >instructors< get in for $5. Anyone else pays full price.

             Besides classes and demos to see the convention is a huge gathering of suttlers, merchants, artists, and artisans. Even if everyone is not of the SCA period, a very many are. And even if they are not, it is incredibly interesting to see. Quite the education and entertainment.

             So, if you are interested in volunteering to man the SCA display, or give a class, or participate in a live demo, please let me know. I will be putting out a schedule and more information when I have more to say. Thank you for your attention.

        Respectfully,

        Alexander de Seton

        known to the IRS as John Seaton

        596 Windsor Drive

        Fox Lake IL 60020

        847-587-0454

        alexdeset"at" aol.com

            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:23 am ((PST))

        Robin, I will be checking with Michael on why the discount was not
        offered to the folc.

        Cheers, Folo
        www.micelfolcland.org

        Messages in this topic (13)
            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:38 am ((PST))

        Regarding discounts, everything is worked out; I was not upset, only curious!

        Cheers, Folo

        Messages in this topic (13)
        1d. Re: Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling
            Posted by: "AlexdeSet@..." AlexdeSet@...
            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:01 pm ((PST))

        Greetings!
        ???? I have reached the limit of folks to "officially" staff the SCA Information Booth. You are invited to come by and stay as long as you like, with any art, craft, science, etc that you care to display. I am sorry that I cannot include anyone else not currently on the list of SCA booth staff. Thank you for offering!

        ************ **

            Posted by: "Eleanor (Robin)" ladyscribe07@... ladyscribe07
            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:51 am ((PST))

        If anyone is going to this and would be interested in sharing a room
        at the hotel please contact me off list.  I have the room (two queen
        beds) booked for both Friday and Saturday night, so if your interested
        please contact me asap.  It can be for one or both nights.

        Also, your planning on traveling from Indiana and happen to pass by
        Hammond and could offer a ride to same said event it would be
        appreciated.  I know some Scadians are attending.  Serious inquiries
        only please.  Must be able to pay 1/2 the room cost day of arrival.

        Thanks,

        Eleanor

        Messages in this topic (1)
        3a. Re: Baronial Business Meeting Agenda: Sunday February 8, 2009 at 6:0
            Posted by: "suzanearley@..." suzanearley@... maestraghita
            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:43 pm ((PST))

        Sorry, I can't be there. I'll be on a cruise ship leaving Texas at approximately that time. :D

        I have already sent Philip the financial domesday report so he has that.

        Please read and comment to me on the branch financial policy!

        Ghita

        From: "Craig" <philipwhite@...>

        > Greetings All!
        >
        > Baronial Business Meeting is in a couple of weekends with the Baronial
        > Charter meeting starting at 4:00 pm. Business meeting will start at
        > 6:00 pm. Come early so you can get your orders for food into the
        > restaurant.
        >
        > Details:
        > Host: Vanished Wood
        > When: Sunday February 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM
        > Where: Fox and Hound
        > 370-410 W Army Trail Rd - Bloomingdale, IL 60108 - p. 630-295-9626
        > This is *not* a potluck.
        >
        > Agenda:
        >
        > • Upcoming Business Meeting Host Schedule (5 min)
        > • Ayreton Officer Reports (5 min each)
        > • Transition Update (15 min)
        > • Maidens (5 min)
        > • Ayreton Carnivale (10 min)
        > • Rose Tourney (10 min)
        > • Pennsic (10 min)
        > • 40 Year (10 min)
        > • Ayreton / Carriag Ban co-sponsoring events (10 min)
        > • Crown / Kingdom gifts (5 min)
        > • Upcoming Local Events (5min)
        > • Other Announcements
        >
        > If you'd like to talk about something in particular that is not on the
        > agenda please let me know before the meeting. If you have any
        > questions feel free to contact me.
        >
        > Officers – if you can not make it please let me know. Send me what you
        > would like to report or please send your deputy.
        >
        > Your Servant to Command,
        > ~Philip White, Ayreton Seneschal

        > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post Special
        > Notices, send a request to .
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Messages in this topic (2)
            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:32 pm ((PST))

        Greetings!
        ???? The director of the Fest left me an email today, asking me to make this announcement: There Is No SCA Discount? On Tickets At Reenactor Fest (Feb 6-8 2009).
        ???? Some folks who have volunteered their time and effort to staff the SCA Information Booth (and demonstrate various arts, sciences, and crafts) are paying a reduced site fee. This has been arranged in advance, through the good offices of the Fest Director, who has a list opf those people-the discount is only good for the day (or days) they are working the SCA Information booth.
        ???? (By the way, the SCA Information Booth will be in the foyer, I believe outside the display areas of the Fest itself. The booth is the replica Flemish 14 century merchant booth, with a blue and white striped awning, that the merchant "Celtic Sun" uses sometimes at SCA events.)
        ???? We hope you come by the Fest-this will be my second year, and I encourage people to attend. Loads of merchants (covering thousands of years of time), lots of demos, entertainment, classes. There is a Ball on Saturday night that? is said to be increadible.
        ???? In any case, I hope there is no confusion now. I will be at "Maidens" in Wurm Wald tomorrow (31 Jan) and will be at the Fest next weekend with "Celtic Sun". If you have a question for me, please ask.
        Thank you for your attention.
        Respectfully,
        Alexander de Seton
        John Seaton

        Messages in this topic (1)
            Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:49 pm ((PST))

        Greetings!
        ???? Tha SCA Information Booth Staff are:

        Friday 6 Feb: Etienne (3-4)
        ??????????????????? Mihri (4-7)

        Saturday 7 Feb: Kate & Erik Moan (9-12)
        ??????????????????????? Hilla Hamasdottir (12-1)
        ??????????????????????? Francesca de Marmandy (12-2)
        ??????????????????????? Arrienne Ashford (1-5)
        ??????????????????????? Cerian Cantwr (5-6)

        Sunday 8 Feb: Anne of Walton Wood (9-2)
        ????????????????????? Lisa Menkhaus (11-12)

        Break substitutes: Calibrid ine Tere
        ???????????????????????????Marie la Fauconniere
        ?????????????????????????? Metylda nic Lochlainn
        ?????????????????????????? Elaine Ladd & Xavier
        ?????????????????????????? Tabitha Pennywarden

        These people, on the days they are staffing the SCA Information Booth, pay a $5 site fee at the gate. If you have questions or problems, please contact me.?I will be at "Maidens" (probably around the rapier list) and at the Reenactor Fest as the merchant "Celtic Sun".

        I thank you all for volunteering your time and effort. To those who also volunteered, but are not listed, I thank you for your support. I could not let in everyone who volunteered.?

        Respectfully,
        Alexander de Seton
        John Seaton
        ????????????????????????????????????????????

        Messages in this topic (1)

        ~~~~~

      • AlexdeSet@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
          Greetings!
               There is no need for SCA fighters at this year's Reenactor Fest, as there will be no SCA fighting (pay no attention to the website). Although the Fest website shows (or did show) a "Pas d'Armes", that time will be filled by bagpipers.
               Thank you for volunteering, though!
          Respectfully,
          Alexander

              From: suzanearley@ comcast.net

          4. No SCA Discount for Reenactor Fest
              From: AlexdeSet@aol. com

          5. SCA Information Booth Staff
              From: AlexdeSet@aol. com

          Messages
          1a. Re: Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling
              Posted by: "Robin Goldman" ladyscribe07@ yahoo.com ladyscribe07

          ****** ****** **

              Posted by: "Folo Watkins" folo@advancenet. net folo01

              Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:38 am ((PST))

              Posted by: "AlexdeSet@aol. com" AlexdeSet@aol. com
              Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:01 pm ((PST))

          Greetings!
          ???? I have reached the limit of folks to "officially" staff the SCA Information Booth. You are invited to come by and stay as long as you like, with any art, craft, science, etc that you care to display. I am sorry that I cannot include anyone else not currently on the list of SCA booth staff. Thank you for offering!
          Respectfully,
          Alexander

          Classes are 45 min to 1 hour, but it's our show and we can tailor it to your
          needs if you think it will draw people in.  We have lots of open space to set
          up live displays this year, you just need to tell me what you have in mind. I
          =0 Athink a foyer display will be great for spinning, weaving, calligraphy, etc

              Posted by: "Eleanor (Robin)" ladyscribe07@ yahoo.com ladyscribe07
              Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:51 am ((PST))

              Posted by: "suzanearley@ comcast.net" suzanearley@ comcast.net maestraghita

          From: "Craig" <philipwhite@ hotmail.com>

          > Greetings All!
          >
          > Baronial Business Meeting is in a couple of weekends with the Baronial
          > Charter meeting starting at 4:00 pm. Business meeting will start at
          > 6:00 pm. Come early so you can get your orders for food into the
          > restaurant.
          >
          > Details:
          > Host: Vanished Wood
          > When: Sunday February 8, 2009 at 6:00 PM
          > Where: Fox and Hound
          > 370-410 W Army Trail Rd - Bloomingdale, IL 60108 - p. 630-295-9626
          > This is *not* a potluck.
          >
          > Agenda:
          >
          > • Upcoming Business Meeting Host Schedule (5 min)
          > • Ayreton Officer Reports (5 min each)
          > • Transition Update (15 min)
          > • Maidens (5 min)
          > • Ayreton Carnivale (10 min)
          > • Rose Tourney (10 min)
          > • Pennsic (10 min)
          > • 40 Year (10 min)
          > • Ayreton / Carriag Ban co-sponsoring events (10 min)
          > • Crown / Kingdom gifts (5 min)
          > • Upcoming Local Events (5min)
          > 0 Other Announcements
          >
          > If you'd like to talk about something in particular that is not on the
          > agenda please let me know before the meeting. If you have any
          > questions feel free to contact me.
          >
          > Officers – if you can not make it please let me know. Send me what you
          > would like to report or please send your deputy.
          >
          > Your Servant to Command,
          > ~Philip White, Ayreton Seneschal

          > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post Special
          > Notices, send a request to .
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Messages in this topic (2)

              Date: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:49 pm ((PST))

          Greetings!
[...]

          I thank you all for volunteering your time and effort. To those who also volunteered, but are not20listed, I thank you for your support. I could not let in everyone who volunteered. ?

          Respectfully,
          Alexander de Seton
          John Seaton
          ???????????? ????????? ????????? ????????? ?????

          Messages in this topic (1)

          ~~~~~

          To view and add events to the calendar: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Ayreton/ cal/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • AlexdeSet@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
            Greetings!
                 I helped set up the SCA Information Booth tonight (Thursday) and it is ready to go. It is in the main hall outside the vendor room, on the outside wall of the hotel. I am told there will  be other displays in the hall, too.
                 For those whose names are on the list for staffing the SCA Information Booth: check in at the ticket table; they have everyone's name on a clipboard, ready to check you off. The names I put out on this list are a mix of SCA and "legal" names-just tell them who you are (the name you gave me).
                 There is no particular need to be in garb, but I think it is a good idea. There are washrooms close by for changing if needed.
                 Thank you to everyone who volunteered! Thank you to the Incipient Barony of Ayreton and their Chatellain, who gave me a nice hand-out, which I reproduced about 200 times, and to the Shire of Ravenslake and their Chatellain who is bringing more literature.
            See you at the Reenactor Fest this weekend!
            Respectfully,
            Alexander de Seton
            John Seaton (Celtic Sun)
          • Eva
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2009
              I enjoyed a fantastic Saturday at Reenactor Fest. I located some
              pictures online today; some of our folk are included!

              http://flickr.com/photos/yark64/sets/72157613504873799/

              http://flickr.com/photos/30917315@N06/sets/72157613562802136/

              http://flickr.com/photos/folo/sets/72157613518702099/

              -Lady Elianora Saunfayle