Re: [Ayreton] Armor question

  • Gocauo
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 15, 2006
      I have not heard of them either, but I myself am getting back after a 6 year hiatus.

      As others have stated
      • Edges will have to covered to protect opponents blade, either leather or padding
      • Can't tell from the picture but there cannot be any projections more than 3/8 of an inch
      • Strap set up appears akward.  Most folks strap thier shield the way Alexander describes it, however I have always used a center boss.
      • You will either need a basket or a gauntlet behind the shield
      • Again, may not be the right size for you
      • $88 seems a little much

      If you have your heart set on metal shield, Illusion Armory (no relation) has T-6 aluminum heaters starting at $65.  Or even cheaper you can go by your local city works department and try to buy an old street sign off of them.

      You state that you are getting back into it after a 13 year break.  Perhaps you should consider some 1/2 inch plywood for now until you find a size or shape you are comfortable with.  It's a little heavy, but cheap to replace and you can cut is down very easily.

      Senhor Gõcauo Ramiriç
      Squired to Jarl Kveldulfr af Úlfsgarr, MSCA
      The Middle Kingdom
      Shire of Rokkehealden

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 15, 2006
        Personally I cringe at the thought a lugging around a 16 Gage steel shield, that is going to be heavy...

        Other points have been covered, but shield strapping is a very personal choice. Most fighters I have seen have a few sets of extra holes in their shields as the tried to find the perfect strapping.

        Go to a few practices and try some different shields and find what you like.

        Honestly going from a premade shield blank to legal shield is not that much work, 2 two hours tops if you don't know what you are doing, 45min if you do.

        My shield is from here:
        http://bymyhanddesigns.com/

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2006
          I think that you will find that after fighting with a 16 gauge steel shield,
          it will appear heavy and your performance will suffer. I recommend an
          aluminum one from one of the below armorers:

          http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zen%5Fnew/

          http://www.illusionarmoring.com/

          I have ordered from both and have been pleased with their results. Some will
          do neat things like pre-drill holes in for edging (something I prefer, since
          I never like how my drill work turns out :)

          In any case, Good Luck!

          ~Gintaras~
          (GIN'-te-ris)

        • hideyori@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
            I'd like to thank everyone for thier advice and very helpful thoughts.  I had the same misgivings as most of you stated and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the last decade or so.  :)

            Thank you,

            Henry of Exeter