Re: [Ayreton] Armor question

  • Erick Maxskelly
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 14, 2006
      I have a few observations/questions about the shield you have highlighted. I am not familiar with the armorer in question, so can't say anything about their work.

      1. Price - it seems rather expensive. $88 could go towards more/better armor.
      2. What are the shield's dimensions -  what are your dimensions? It may be too large or too small for you.
      3. How heavy is it?
      4. The orientation of the straps on the shield will make the shield difficult to use unless you change it.
      5. The leather straps themselves will be less stable than a more secure hand grip -  your opponent will be able to move your shield more easily.
      6. The shield edge looks like it will need to be covered to make it legal. Can't tell from the photo, but the merchant't disclaimer about "your responsibility" makes me think this is the case.

      These are just some of the questions I have. You may want to go to a practice and check out the different shields being used there. People are always willing to talk armor between bouts. You may even get a chance to try out a few different shield styles and sizes before going out and buying something you might not even like in the long run.

      Good luck, and welcome back to the crazyness.

      On 10/14/06, willow_swan60302 <hideyori@... > wrote:

      Hello,

      I haven't been active for close to 13 years but I am looking to
      correct that. :)

      So I am in need of some advice. The shield at the following website,
      is it Midrealm legal "out of the box" as they claim? Has anyone dealt
      with them and can vouch for the shields/reliability of the merchant?

      http://www.a2armory.com/scabatreadsh.html

      Thanks!
      Henry of Exeter

      --
      Ld. Earik MacSkellie
      Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14, 2006
        Greetings!
             First, it would have to be inspected by a marshal, and so could not be used in the SCA "right out of the box. Second, I don't see any edging to protect oponant's weapons as is required. Third, you would have to have a full gauntlet since there is no cage for your hand on the back, I personally don't strap my shield straight across the back like that-I set it up at an angle so the leading point is above my fist. That's not a rule, that's just how I do it.
             It is not Midrealm Legal out of the box, but they do not claim that. They say "This is an SCA regulation, battle-worthy medieval combat shield. " and "This SCA shield comes with two 1 1/2 inch genuine leather straps already attached so you can use it right out of the box.", and further, "It is your responsibility to understand SCA combat rules and regulations. These rules and regulations vary from tournament to tournament and all standards are subject to interpretation by Tournament Marshall. For your own protection, do not use this or any other shield in any combat activity unless it is approved by SCA Officials prior to event.".
        The preceeding is my opinion.
        Is mise le meas,
        Alexander de Seton

          I haven't been active for close to 13 years but I am looking to
        correct that.  :)

        So I am in need of some advice.  The shield at the following website,
        is it Midrealm legal "out of the box" as they claim?  Has anyone dealt
        with them and can vouch for the shields/reliability of the merchant?

        http://www.a2armory.com/scabatreadsh.html

        Thanks!
        Henry of Exeter

        ~~~~~

        "Special Notices".  Activities coordinators, to get access to post Special

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:Ayreton-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Gocauo
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 15, 2006
          I have not heard of them either, but I myself am getting back after a 6 year hiatus.

          As others have stated
          • Edges will have to covered to protect opponents blade, either leather or padding
          • Can't tell from the picture but there cannot be any projections more than 3/8 of an inch
          • Strap set up appears akward.  Most folks strap thier shield the way Alexander describes it, however I have always used a center boss.
          • You will either need a basket or a gauntlet behind the shield
          • Again, may not be the right size for you
          • $88 seems a little much

          If you have your heart set on metal shield, Illusion Armory (no relation) has T-6 aluminum heaters starting at $65.  Or even cheaper you can go by your local city works department and try to buy an old street sign off of them.

          You state that you are getting back into it after a 13 year break.  Perhaps you should consider some 1/2 inch plywood for now until you find a size or shape you are comfortable with.  It's a little heavy, but cheap to replace and you can cut is down very easily.

          Senhor Gõcauo Ramiriç
          Squired to Jarl Kveldulfr af Úlfsgarr, MSCA
          The Middle Kingdom
          Shire of Rokkehealden

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 15, 2006
            Personally I cringe at the thought a lugging around a 16 Gage steel shield, that is going to be heavy...

            Other points have been covered, but shield strapping is a very personal choice. Most fighters I have seen have a few sets of extra holes in their shields as the tried to find the perfect strapping.

            Go to a few practices and try some different shields and find what you like.

            Honestly going from a premade shield blank to legal shield is not that much work, 2 two hours tops if you don't know what you are doing, 45min if you do.

            My shield is from here:
            http://bymyhanddesigns.com/

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 15, 2006
              I think that you will find that after fighting with a 16 gauge steel shield,
              it will appear heavy and your performance will suffer. I recommend an
              aluminum one from one of the below armorers:

              http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zen%5Fnew/

              http://www.illusionarmoring.com/

              I have ordered from both and have been pleased with their results. Some will
              do neat things like pre-drill holes in for edging (something I prefer, since
              I never like how my drill work turns out :)

              In any case, Good Luck!

              ~Gintaras~
              (GIN'-te-ris)

            • hideyori@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2006
                I'd like to thank everyone for thier advice and very helpful thoughts.  I had the same misgivings as most of you stated and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the last decade or so.  :)

                Thank you,

                Henry of Exeter