Middle Kingdom Combat Archery

  • Dougal MacAlister
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2008
      Greetings all,

      I've recieved this missive this morning, some may have read this information already.  The bolt construction standards for the Middle Kingdom have changed.

      Greetings from Erik Erikson the Scout
      DEM for Combat Archery, Middle Kingdom

      First of all here is a site I have put up that should help with questions about combat archery.  If you check the Construction Standards you will notice what can be used according to the new Society Rules.

      http://www.havenholde.net/35footspear/

      I have been trying to get an article in the Place now since May.  Here it is explaining about the changes.

      Pale “Deputies Report”

      DEM for Combat Archery

      Notices

      Combat Archery Ammunition - (August 22, 2008)
      Effective immediately, the following changes to equipment are required due to repeated incidents of helm penetrations:

      1.  All  Sil-o-flex/Rubber Stopper ammunition must have a side wrap of foam added that brings the total diameter of the blunt to at least 1.5" after taping. This wrap must extend from the tip to at least 1/2" over the  Sil-o-flex itself.

      2.  All fletches on any arrows, bolts, or thrown weapons can project no further than 1/2" from the shaft, or must be 1.5" thick.

      NOTE: All Marshals need to be rigorous in their inspections of all tips (arrows & thrusting) and mass weapons. Ensure that the foam is firm, will not bend over, returns to shape when compressed, and can not be easily pushed into a legal helm more than 1/2".

      The office of Chief of Artillery has been changed.  Previously one person had the responsibilities of dealing with both siege weapons and combat archery.  There was always the potential that a particular issue might get overlooked because one person was having to deal with two different sets of rules and weapon styles. Now there is a DEM for Combat Archery and another DEM for Siege Weapons.

      First of all let me state that there is a reality we cannot change: Many people have very strong opinions about combat archery. They either love combat archery, some to the point where they can’t stand to hear it criticized, or they hate it, some to the point that they are unwilling to hear anything good about it. Unfortunately, some personal opinions and preferences do not always match other people’s view of reality. I will try to always respect any person’s opinion, whether or not I agree with it, and I ask the same courtesy in return.

      1. On January 1, 2009, unless the new Society combat archery rules are approved and state an earlier date, golf tube arrows or bolts will no longer be legal in the Middle Kingdom for any form of combat archery.  The only legal shaft for use in the Middle Kingdom is the Sil-o-flex tubing or an approved equivalent.  Many of the archers have already changed over. There are several good reasons for this change.

      Next, I am putting together a list of anyone in the Middle Kingdom or close by that has a source for straight Sil-o-flex.  If those selling straight Sil-o-flex or its approved equivalent will e-mail with full contact information, I will forward it to anyone who asks for the list by e-mail.  The office of Earl Marshal or his DEM for Combat Archery of the Middle Kingdom DOES NOT ENDORSE ANY OF THE VENDORS THAT MAY BE ON THE LIST.  We are just trying to get a list together.  If you order from anyone and it is either a good or bad experience then please let me know. I will have these comments available for anyone wanting to check before making a purchase.

      2. On January 1, 2009, unless the new Society combat archery rules are approved and state an earlier date, modified Baldar Blunts used on Sil-o-flex shafts must have at least 1/2 inch of resilient padding over the full striking surface of the blunt.  This is the same requirement as for the rubber stopper tips (Omarad Tips). You don’t have to use more than ½ inch, but remember, foam gets old and compresses and you may end up not having the required ½ inch for inspection.

      That’s it for now.  Feel free to contact me by e-mail if you have questions or suggestions.

      Erikson

      THL Dougal MacAlister, C.G.C.
      Midlands Regional Archery Marshal