[CHARTER] Committee Meeting Notes 2008-10-12

  • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 14, 2008
      The Ayreton Charter Committee had its first meeting following the Ayreton business meeting.

      Present were:
      Robyyan (Dennis Sherman)
      Twm ap Twm (Tim Dinan)
      Julienne La Follette (Samantha King)
      Bojei Temur (Kate Bercan)
      Kevin Ambrezijwski (Kevin Purtell)
      Gareth Ostwestly (Jeff Berger)
      Hillary of Langeforde (Aggie Powell-Berger)
      Fern de la Foret (Laurie Erickson)
      Sarafina Sinclair (Harlie DesRoches)
      Etienne le Couteau des Roches (Steven DesRoches)
      Hal Raeburn (Gary 'Hal' Link)
      Ghita (Susan Early)

      The goal of the Charter Committee is to create a draft Ayreton Charter, which will be presented to the populace of Ayreton for approval.

      We agreed on the following ground rules for the operation of the Charter Commitee
      * It is VERY IMPORTANT that every group have at least one representative at every meeting.
      * We will have discussions and make decisions in face to face meetings, not electronic lists.
      * Email (this list) will be used for
      * distributing meeting agendas
      * distributing meeting notes
      * sharing information, such as URLs to documents that people should read
      * It is VERY IMPORTANT that every group have at least one representative at every meeting.
      * We will have one conversation at a time.
      * We can disagree without being disagreeable
      * Committee membership is open. But every group should have AT LEAST one representative at EVERY meeting.
      * Meeting agendas will generally be published at least a week ahead of time. If you have an opinion on a topic on the agenda, attend the meeting, even if it is your first time. If you cannot attend, send your opinion via email directly to Robyyan, who will bring it to the meeting as hard copy so everyone can read it.
      * It is VERY IMPORTANT that every group have at least one representative at every meeting.
      * We will attempt to have meetings on the same day and at the same location as Ayreton business meetings, to minimize travel for us all.

      Next Meeting:
      * we are expecting the next meeting of the Charter Committee to be Sunday, Nov. 9, 2008, at 4:00pm at Ida Noyes (Grey Gargoyles)
      * we will brainstorm and discuss what should be in the charter. What topics are appropriate for the Charter, and what are better dealt with elsewhere. For example, the Charter has no need to address finances, other than perhaps referencing the separate Financial Policy document.
      * In preparation for that meeting, everyone planning to participate should review the governing documents of the SCA, Inc (Corpora, the By-Laws, Corporate Policies, and the Articles of Incorporation,http://www.sca.org/docs/pdf/govdocs.pdf)
      * It would also be helpful to have reviewed charter documents from other SCA groups -- please post URLs if you know any!

      Thanks to all who are or will be participating!

      Tree-Girt-Sea, Midrealm (Chicago, IL USA)
      http://robyyan.googlepages.com
    • Thomas Hughes
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 15, 2008

        Robyyan,

        I would like to participate in this effort.  I was unable to attend the meeting Sunday since I had to leave for meetings in Ohio at 5AM on Monday.

        Sean o’Shaughnessy

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 15, 2008
          Greetings All,

          As part of our homework from the last meeting we were asked us to
          find the charters of other Baronies to see what they include for
          ideas as to what ours should include. I have attached the links to a
          number of Baronial charters and other documents that may be of help
          to the members of the committee. .

          In Service
          Tim Dinan
          Twm ap Twm

          Barony of Smoking Rocks - Articles of Charter
          http://www.sc2.com/~smokingrocks/bcharter.htm

          Smoking Rocks - Baronial By Laws
          http://www.sc2.com/~smokingrocks/bylaws.htm

          Charter of the Barony of Northwoods
          http://www.scanorthwoods.org/

          BARONY OF RED SPEARS CHARTER & POLICIES
          http://www.midrealm.org/redspears/charter.html

          The Charter of the Barony of Brendoken
          http://www.brendoken.org/charter.html

          The Barony of Brendoken (Mission Statement on bottom of page)
          http://www.brendoken.org/

          Charter of the Barony of Carolingia
          http://www.carolingia.eastkingdom.org/charter.html

          Laws of the Barony of Castel Rouge – (Look at the membership
          requirement)
          http://www.castelrouge.ca/laws/barony_laws.doc

          The Customary of the Barony of Three Mountains, Kingdom of An Tir
          http://www.currentmiddleages.org/3m/Documents/Customary.pdf

          The Charter of the Barony of Midewinde
          www.midewinde.org/PDF/Midewinde Barony Charter.pdf

          CHARTER FOR THE BARONY OF FLAMING GRYPHON
          http://www.midrealm.org/gryphony/documents/charter.pdf

          Minor Carta for the Barony of Vulkanfeldt, A.S. XL
          http://www.vulkanfeldt.org/info/Minor_Carta.pdf

          Barony of Ruantallan
          http://www.ruantallan.org/resources/officialdocuments/constitution.htm

          The Barony of White Waters Charter
          http://www.midrealm.org/whitewaters/charter.htm

          Amendment to the Charter of the Barony of IronBog (at the end of
          their newsletter)
          http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/ironbog/november2005/nov05.pdf

          Barony of Elfsea – Drafts of Baronial Documents
          http://www.elfsea.net/History.aspx

          The Canton of Westmere- Our Charter (Should the Cantons have their
          own?)
          http://www.westmere.us/charter.html

          The Charter of the Shire of Iron Bog
          http://www.ironbog.eastkingdom.org/charter.html

          Term Limits for Territorial Barons and Baronesses
          http://www.nachtanz.org/SReed/baronterm.html

          The Shire of Granite Mountain – Looking to become a Barony
          http://www.granitemountain.org/Html/barony.html

          The Shire of Granite Mountain – Article on Pros and Cons of becoming
          a Barony.
          http://www.granitemountain.org/DOCUMENTS/Baronial_Primer.xls

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Robyyan Torr d'Elandris <rtesca-
          ayreton@...> wrote:

          > The Ayreton Charter Committee had its first meeting following the
          Ayreton business meeting.

          > * Email (this list) will be used for
          > * sharing information, such as URLs to documents that people
          should read
          > * It would also be helpful to have reviewed charter documents from
          other SCA groups -- please post URLs if you know any!

          > Thanks to all who are or will be participating!
          >
          > --
          > Robyyan Torr d'Elandris (Dennis R. Sherman)
          > Tree-Girt-Sea, Midrealm (Chicago, IL USA)
          > http://robyyan.googlepages.com

        • kevin purtrell
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 15, 2008
            While it is important that every group to have a representative, I believe it was also decided that if there happens to be a meeting where a group is not represented, the meeting will happen anyway.

            -Kevin Ambrozijwski

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 15, 2008
              Sean (and everyone else),

              Please _do_ participate!  We'll be happy to have you!

              The first meeting was primarily organizational, getting us all started in the same direction.  From here on out, each meeting will be followed by posted notes, with an outline of the topics for the next meeting.  And each meeting will be preceded by an agenda with more details of what we'll be discussing.

              Anyone should feel free to come to committee meetings.  And if you can't attend a meeting, please send me (off list) email on the topics to be discussed, which will be shared with everyone attending the meeting.

              The more the merrier, and the more people who commit to coming regularly, the more effective we can be at working together.

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 17, 2008
                Greetings All,

                As part of our homework from the last meeting we were asked us to
                find the charters of other Baronies to see what they include for
                ideas as to what ours should include. I have attached some
                additional links to a number of Baronial charters and other documents
                that may be of help to the members of the committee. .

                In Service
                Tim Dinan
                Twm ap Twm

                These are the official policies of the Barony of Nordskogen.
                http://www.nordskogen.northshield.org/policies.html

                BARONY OF WINDHAVEN POLICIES AND PROCEDURES as updated February 10,
                2008
                http://www.baronyofwindhaven.org/library/policies.html

                The Barony of Bhakail By Laws As Revised at November 1, 2006
                http://www.bhakail.eastkingdom.org/resources/Bhakail_By_Laws_Passed_01
                Nov2006.pdf

                Barony of Caerthe Documents
                http://caerthe-sca.org/archive.shtml

                Baronial Custom for the Barony Beyond the Mountain
                http://www.bbm.eastkingdom.org/bbmpolicies.htm

                policies and procedures of the Barony of Thescorre
                http://www.thescorre.org/literature/policies-v1.htm

                Baronial Policies And Procedures Barony of Endless Hills
                http://www.endlesshills.net/baronialpolicies.pdf

                General Policy of the Barony of Grey Niche
                http://greyniche.org/documents/General_Policy_03-06-2007.doc

                Barony of Stonemarche - Policies and Procedures
                http://barony-of-stonemarche.org/law.php

                Policies of the Barony of Delftwood
                http://www.delftwood.org/policies.htm

                Barony of Ramshaven.
                http://www.ealdormere.sca.org/ramshaven/

                BARONY-MARCHE OF THE DEBATABLE LANDS POLICIES
                http://www.debatablelands.org/brnyplcy.html

                Barony of Axmoor – By Laws
                http://www.axemoor.net/pdf/Axemoor_ByLaws_2007.pdf

                Seleone Guidelines and Procedures
                http://www.seleone.org/library/bylaws.doc

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 26, 2008
                  Greetings all,
                  Here are some more charters and other governing documents for other
                  groups in the SCA. So from the smallest I have found is a one page
                  document and the longest is a 48 page book. While not the most
                  interesting reading material available they do offer some incite into
                  what others feel is important to include in their rules.

                  The operating policies and procedures of the Barony of Thescorre
                  http://www.thescorre.org/literature/policies-v1.htm

                  Bylaws of the Barony of Oldenfeld
                  http://www.oldenfeld.net/Bylaws.html

                  Policies of the Barony of Delftwood
                  http://www.delftwood.org/BaronialPolicies2007.pdf
                  (I like two of their three Governing Principles)

                  The Customary of The Barony of Dragon's Laire
                  http://www.dragonslaire.org/docs/DLCustomary-1-0.pdf

                  BARONY OF ST. SWITHIN'S BOG: LAWS & POLICIES
                  http://stswithinsbog.org/bylaws2006.htm

                  Stromgard Baronial Customary
                  http://www.stromgard.org/stromgardhome_data/links/customary.htm

                  Baronial Policies and Procedures Barony of Caerthe
                  http://caerthe.outlands.sca.org/documents/Duct_Tape3-3-05.pdf
                  (This one is 48 pages long)

                  In Service
                  Tim Dinan
                  Twm ap Twm

                  -- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "pennsic_ulf" <TCD3125@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  >
                  > The Shire of Granite Mountain – Article on Pros and Cons of
                  becoming
                  > a Barony.
                  > http://www.granitemountain.org/DOCUMENTS/Baronial_Primer.xls
                  >

                  > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Robyyan Torr d'Elandris <rtesca-
                  > ayreton@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The Ayreton Charter Committee had its first meeting following the
                  > Ayreton business meeting.
                  > >
                  > > * Email (this list) will be used for
                  > > * sharing information, such as URLs to documents that people
                  > should read
                  > > * It would also be helpful to have reviewed charter documents
                  from
                  > other SCA groups -- please post URLs if you know any!
                  > >
                  > > Thanks to all who are or will be participating!
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Robyyan Torr d'Elandris (Dennis R. Sherman)
                  > > Tree-Girt-Sea, Midrealm (Chicago, IL USA)

                • Fern
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                    Dear Aryeton,

                    Who remembers the embroidered patches with the Midrealm populace badge on them? The round patches, with a red pale and a dragon?

                    Such patches have the potential to be great site tokens for the 40-yr celebration. I asked the Kingdom Seneschal about them, but she is unfamiliar with their source and origin.

                    So now I'm asking  Aryeton people, because I'm sure that there is somebody on the list who knows the answers, or how to get the answers.

                    Who manufactures the patches? Who distributes them or sells them? How much do they cost to manufacture and how much lead time is needed?

                    Thank you very much for your help!

                    yours,

                    Fern
                  • Dougal MacAlister
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                      To the Gracious Sir Fern,

                      The information that you are looking for is here:

                      THL Dougal MacAlister, C.G.C.
                      Midlands Regional Archery Marshal

                        Who remembers the embroidered patches with the Midrealm populace badge on them? The round patches, with a red pale and a dragon?

                        Such patches have the potential to be great site tokens for the 40-yr celebration. I asked the Kingdom Seneschal about them, but she is unfamiliar with their source and origin.

                        So now I'm asking  Aryeton people, because I'm sure that there is somebody on the list who knows the answers, or how to get the answers.

                        Who manufactures the patches? Who distributes them or sells them? How much do they cost to manufacture and how much lead time is needed?

                        Thank you very much for your help!

                        yours,

                        Fern

                        --
                        Lady Verena Entenwirth

                      • Fern
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 31, 2008
                          Wow, Dougal and Verena, you guys are swift!

                          Little did I expect to see such success, so quickly! This is definitely the information I needed, plus some!

                          Thank you very much for your help, and I will use this information to continue my negotiations!

                          Happy New Year!

                          Fern

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                            Fern--

                            I have a Viking embroidery machine that I believe could produce some of these.  I would be very hesistant to say I could do them all for two reasons:  1) I'm not totally sure it will work (although it automatically came up on my curent software for my machine, so there's a really really good chance).  2) Time required.  However, I will try in the very near future to play around with it, and see what's up.  If there are others out there with similar machines (and it's in a ton of different formats), maybe we could divide and conquer?

                            How many are we talking?

                            And, you do mean the midrealm one that's white, with a red stripe and a green dragon on it, right?

                            Acelina

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                              I have a contact at a patch embroidery company that does a lot of business with my Boy Scout council. If you would like me to, I could email a copy of the badge and get a quote for quantities.

                              They do good work, are fast and pretty cheap (.50 - 1.60 per patch.) Let me know off list.

                              Angus Fraser
                              -*Angus*-
                              -*Andy*-

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 2, 2009
                                Acelina,

                                That's great to know that your machine can do that kind of stuff! Let's keep it as a backup plan.

                                If the Kingdom Exchequer will order Midrealm commemorative patches for us, that's my first hope. I sent him email today, so I expect him to be thinking about it before the Curia on Jan 17.  Because I anticipate needing 600 patches for the event (maybe an overestimate, but I wouldn't want to run out!), I would hate to make such a major committment among our Aryeton people.

                                I'll keep you posted when I have some data about the patches.

                                Thanks!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 3, 2009
                                  Fern wrote:

                                  Dear Aryeton,

                                  Who remembers the embroidered patches with the Midrealm populace badge on them? The round patches, with a red pale and a dragon?

                                  Such patches have the potential to be great site tokens for the 40-yr celebration. I asked the Kingdom Seneschal about them, but she is unfamiliar with their source and origin.

                                  So now I'm asking  Aryeton people, because I'm sure that there is somebody on the list who knows the answers, or how to get the answers.

                                  Who manufactures the patches? Who distributes them or sells them? How much do they cost to manufacture and how much lead time is needed?

                                  Thank you very much for your help!

                                  yours,

                                  Fern

                                  http://homedecor.cafepress.com/item/midrealm-populace-medallion/72418480

                                  I thought there was also a badge available, but cant find it. The person who runs very big design is from Fenix (I believe).  Her e-mail is jen@....

                                  Ld. Earik MacSkellie, esq.
                                  Ayreton Brewers Guild

                                  "Doo after the good and leve the evyl, and it shal brynge you to good fame and renommee."
                                  - William Caxton's preface to Sir Thomas Mallory's Le Morte d'Arthur

                                • Fern
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 5, 2009
                                    Thank you, Earik!

                                    That was a remarkable Midrealm medallion! I will definitely get in touch with this person and find out more.

                                    Thanks again,

                                    Fern

                                    I thought there was also a badge available, but cant find it. The person who runs very big design is from Fenix (I believe).  Her e-mail is jen@verybigdesign. com.