Charter Committee - Call for Participation

  • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2008
      Greetings to the people of Ayreton,
      from Master Robyyan, Charter Wrangler.

      As Master Philip announced at the most recent Ayreton meeting, he's asked me to take charge of getting a charter written as one of the steps we need to take on the road to being a Barony.

      I intend to follow the same principles I've used when I've done this previously: an open process, inclusive meetings, transparency, and a fresh and thorough examination of the issues that are important to the group.

      I expect most of the work of the charter committee to be done in face to face meetings planned in conjunction with Ayreton meetings. Electronic communication will be used primarily for announcements of meeting agendas and reports of meeting activity. We will not be making any decisions using electronic means, and we will not use an electronic discussion forum for the work of the charter committee.

      No, I'm not a Luddite. But I do have nearly 20 years experience with electronic groups, both professionally and not, and that's given me a good sized clue for what works and what won't. See me in person if you feel a need to discuss this decision.

      I believe we will be best served if the group that drafts the charter is primarily self-selected. If you want to participate, show up! I will also make means available for people to send written comment if they are unable to attend. In addition to that, I would like each of the future cantons to take steps to be sure that at least one person representing the group is at charter committee meetings. Each group has their own personality and traditions, and we need to ensure that we can retain those that each group deems important. We can't do that reliably if one of the five groups isn't represented.

      We should anticipate this project taking 6 to 9 months, although faster would be better, and longer not a huge surprise.

      We should plan our first committee meeting to happen as a follow-on to the Ayreton business meeting Oct. 12, in Foxvale. See http://ayreton.home.att.net/barony.html for time and location details.

      Thank you!

      http://robyyan.googlepages.com