Shortbread recipe from Foxhunt IV

  • jeffnaggie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25 4:22 PM
      Hello all,

      Elaine Ladd,  who made shortbread for our event was asked by event goers for the recipe. As I am not sure who that was I thought I'd pass it on to all and sundry.

      Enjoy!

      Flavored Shortbread served for lunch at Foxhunt IV
      Adapted from recipe page 203 Betty Crocker Picture Cook Book 1950 edition ISBN # 0-02-862771-7

      1 cup room temperature butter
      5/8C sugar (½ cup plus 2 Tablespoons)
      1 T. Rose Water (get the rose extract with distilled water one the others might not be food safe)
      1t. ground nutmeg
      2 ½ C sited flour
      Mix thoroughly with hands, for bars press into 9” un-greased square pan.
      Chill dough for cut out cookies; roll out 1/3” to ½” thick. Cut into fancy shapes (Small leaves, ovals, squares, etc.). Flute edges if desired by pinching between fingers for pie crust. Place on un-greased baking sheet. Bake. The tops do not brown during baking…nor does the shape of the cookie change.
      Temperature: 300’F (slow oven)
      Time: 20 to 25 minutes
      Amount: About two dozen 1” x 1 ½” cookies
      Notes: If in a hurry melt butter in microwave for 1 minute, pour in bowl and add sugar and flavorings and mix. Slowly add flour and scrap down bowl with a rubber spatula in between additions.20Do not over work. If using an eight in pan cook for 30-40 minutes. Watch for browning around edges, if you see it, pull the pan out. Remember when pushing the dough around in the pans, make sure edges are pushed down so they’re not thicker then rest of pan and so the upturned edges don’t start to burn / turn brown too early.
      Can change out the Rose water and nutmeg for 1/2 t grd. Mace, 1/8 t grd. Cloves, and a pinch of saffron.