RE: [Ayreton] Re: Pennsic recap

  • Sheehan, Justin
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
      For some reason I remember that lance refers to a cavalry group? I dig the sound of it, though.

      From: David Valenta <dvalenta@...>
      Guard sounds to modern to my ears as does corporal.

      We should look for some period jargon.

      Lances is good way to identify each shire's componant.

      From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

      > Here is a question for everyone, should we come up with a
      slightly more inspiring name like 'The Ayreton Militia'? Ayreton unit
      just does not seem to have much pizazz. :)

      Might this recent ex-patriot make a humble suggestion?

      The Ayreton Baronial Guard.

      Or should that be slightly too forward looking, the Ayreton Towne Guard.

      Merely a suggestion from one now North of the Cheddar Curtain.

      Ian the Green
    • scribesquire
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
        I know there are people on this list who have been around a long
        time. My own experience only goes back to the time of the Free
        Militia. Were there any other organized, i.e. named, units of
        fighters from the area before the Free Militia? It would be nice to
        maybe use a name that shows the link to our areas past....

        Henry
      • Doug Petroshius
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2008
          A "lance" is a description of a small unit of fighters that we often use for organizing our units in the SCA.

          Just an FYI.

          Gintaras
          Midlands Regional Commander (who thinks this is a great idea!)