Re: [Ayreton] Pennsic recap

  • Wendy Pastrick
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
      We are planning on Gulf Wars next year too.

      I will humbly step forward to organize water bearers for the Ayreton fighting group at Gulf Wars, whatever they choose to be called.

      In service,
      Jale

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
        Claire and I will be there.I will probable be part of the Ayreton (Proposed) Baronial Lance

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
          > Here is a question for everyone, should we come up with a
          slightly more inspiring name like 'The Ayreton Militia'? Ayreton unit
          just does not seem to have much pizazz. :)

          Might this recent ex-patriot make a humble suggestion?

          The Ayreton Baronial Guard.

          Or should that be slightly too forward looking, the Ayreton Towne Guard.

          Merely a suggestion from one now North of the Cheddar Curtain.

          Ian the Green
        • Scribesquire@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
            I like the name Ayreton Guard.  Later we can add Baronial to it.

            In the Guard there are Lances of 4-8 people which may or may not be made up entirely of members
            of a particular group (Grey Gargoyles, Vanished Woods, Tree-Girt-Sea, Rokkehealden and Foxvale).  Each Lance would have a corporal as commander.

            What does everyone think of that?

            Henry

            From: "David Roland" <mystborne@...>

            > Here is a question for everyone, should we come up with a
            slightly more inspiring name like 'The Ayreton Militia'? Ayreton unit
            just does not seem to have much pizazz. :)

            Might this recent ex-patriot make a humble suggestion?

            The Ayreton Baronial Guard.

            Or should that be slightly too forward looking, the Ayreton Towne Guard.

            Merely a suggestion from one now North of the Cheddar Curtain.

            Ian the Green

          • David Valenta
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
              Guard sounds to modern to my ears as does corporal.

              We should look for some period jargon.

              Lances is good way to identify each shire's componant.

              From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

            • jeffnaggie@aol.com

                From: "David Roland" <mystborne@...>

                > Here is a question for everyone, should we come up with a
                slightly more inspiring name like 'The Ayreton Militia'? Ayreton unit
                just does not seem to have much pizazz. :)

                Might this recent ex-patriot make a humble suggestion?

                The Ayreton Baronial Guard.

                Or should that be slightly too forward looking, the Ayreton Towne Guard.

                Merely a suggestion from one now North of the Cheddar Curtain.

                Ian the Green

              • Sheehan, Justin
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                  The Ayreton Watch?

                  From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                    I agree on corporal.  I am open to any and all suggestions on both.  Legion is used already....Lance is period and is for small units.   Time to do some research!   :)

                    Henry

                    From: David Valenta <dvalenta@...>

                    From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                      For some reason I remember that lance refers to a cavalry group? I dig the sound of it, though.

                      From: David Valenta <dvalenta@...>

                      From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                        I know there are people on this list who have been around a long
                        time. My own experience only goes back to the time of the Free
                        Militia. Were there any other organized, i.e. named, units of
                        fighters from the area before the Free Militia? It would be nice to
                        maybe use a name that shows the link to our areas past....

                        Henry
                      • Doug Petroshius
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 28, 2008
                          A "lance" is a description of a small unit of fighters that we often use for organizing our units in the SCA.

                          Just an FYI.

                          Gintaras
                          Midlands Regional Commander (who thinks this is a great idea!)