Pennsic recap

  • Scribesquire@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008

      Greetings,

           This is overdue and I humbly apologize for that.

           I would like to thank those people who fought as part of Ayreton at Pennsic.  In no particular order, Christian Fournier, William of Atherton, Johannes Machiavelli, Richard de Scolay, Hillary of Langeford, and Gareth Ostwestly.  Ayreton as a fighting unit did not go unnoticed and that is because of these fine people.

          No group can succeed without support, especially a group of fighters.   I would like to thank those fine gentles who went out of their way to keep the Ayreton group hydrated and fed during the many battles.   Mistress Sarafina Sinclair, Lady Jane the Tall, THLady Jocelyn of Lutterworth, and my lovely wife, Lady Anne de Alienor.  Without them we could not have had any kind o f success.

          Here is a question for everyone, should we come up with a slightly more inspiring name like 'The Ayreton Militia'?  Ayreton unit just does not seem to have much pizazz. :)

           With the fall almost here and winter fast approaching I caution against too much relaxation.   Keep your armor in good repair and your weapons sharp.   Do not forget to keep up your training!   There are a few things not far off that are great opportunities for Ayreton arts martial to shine.

            Val Day on February 14th is traditionally a 4 man melee tourney.   Can Ayreton field a team or two?  Start thinking about that now, make plans, and do some training together.

          Gulf Wars is in March.   Who from Ayreton is going?  Let us be a unit for that too!

      Henry of Exeter

      Marshal, Incipient Barony of Ayreton

    • Wendy Pastrick
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
        We are planning on Gulf Wars next year too.

        I will humbly step forward to organize water bearers for the Ayreton fighting group at Gulf Wars, whatever they choose to be called.

        In service,
        Jale

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
          Claire and I will be there.I will probable be part of the Ayreton (Proposed) Baronial Lance

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
            > Here is a question for everyone, should we come up with a
            slightly more inspiring name like 'The Ayreton Militia'? Ayreton unit
            just does not seem to have much pizazz. :)

            Might this recent ex-patriot make a humble suggestion?

            The Ayreton Baronial Guard.

            Or should that be slightly too forward looking, the Ayreton Towne Guard.

            Merely a suggestion from one now North of the Cheddar Curtain.

            Ian the Green
          • Scribesquire@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
              I like the name Ayreton Guard.  Later we can add Baronial to it.

              In the Guard there are Lances of 4-8 people which may or may not be made up entirely of members
              of a particular group (Grey Gargoyles, Vanished Woods, Tree-Girt-Sea, Rokkehealden and Foxvale).  Each Lance would have a corporal as commander.

              What does everyone think of that?

              Henry

              From: "David Roland" <mystborne@...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                Guard sounds to modern to my ears as does corporal.

                We should look for some period jargon.

                Lances is good way to identify each shire's componant.

                From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

              • jeffnaggie@aol.com

                  From: "David Roland" <mystborne@...>

                  > Here is a question for everyone, should we come up with a
                  slightly more inspiring name like 'The Ayreton Militia'? Ayreton unit
                  just does not seem to have much pizazz. :)

                  Might this recent ex-patriot make a humble suggestion?

                  The Ayreton Baronial Guard.

                  Or should that be slightly too forward looking, the Ayreton Towne Guard.

                  Merely a suggestion from one now North of the Cheddar Curtain.

                  Ian the Green

                • Sheehan, Justin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                    The Ayreton Watch?

                    From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                      I agree on corporal.  I am open to any and all suggestions on both.  Legion is used already....Lance is period and is for small units.   Time to do some research!   :)

                      Henry

                      From: David Valenta <dvalenta@...>

                      From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 25, 2008
                        For some reason I remember that lance refers to a cavalry group? I dig the sound of it, though.

                        From: David Valenta <dvalenta@...>

                        From: "David Roland" <mystborne@yahoo. com>

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 26, 2008
                          I know there are people on this list who have been around a long
                          time. My own experience only goes back to the time of the Free
                          Militia. Were there any other organized, i.e. named, units of
                          fighters from the area before the Free Militia? It would be nice to
                          maybe use a name that shows the link to our areas past....

                          Henry
                        • Doug Petroshius
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 28, 2008
                            A "lance" is a description of a small unit of fighters that we often use for organizing our units in the SCA.

                            Just an FYI.

                            Gintaras
                            Midlands Regional Commander (who thinks this is a great idea!)