Reenactor Fest Class Scheduling

  • AlexdeSet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 13, 2008
      Greetings!
           I am the SCA contact person for Reenactorfest 5. It will be held on 6-9 February 2009 at the Westin Chicago North Shore (www.westin.com/chicagonorthshore).
           Reenactorfest is a convention for reenactors from all time periods. Last year, I saw picts, Romans, crusaders, English Civil War folks,  American Civil War folks, folks from the Spanish American War, Spanish Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm, Iraq...pretty much any conflict in history.
           The person who runs the Fest was looking for some SCA participation, and I said I knew some people. So, here is the deal.
           The SCA will have a display set up in a common area, centered on the merchant booth (14 Cent Flemish design) made by Lochlainn MacGregor. It is a good attention grabber, and can hold displays, tables, etc. I expect that we will want one or two people there all the time, to hand out SCA Chatelaine fliers, and info on the SCA and events. I'd like to have short, cozy demos for passers by-games, fiber arts, cooking, calligraphy and illumination, possibly pewter casting, etc...
           We also have the opportunity to have classes in rooms provided by Reenactorfest. Class periods are 45-55 minutes, but we can shift times to accommodate our needs. I am looking for class instructors in most any art or science (you know, this is a "wet" site...), armoring, glassblowing (ok, without the furnace-a display and description?), various fiber arts, garb making, pattern making, etc. I expect the classes will be SCA oriented, but there is no limit on the time period covered. Do not be constrained because all students will not be SCA, look at it as an opportunity to show folks what you know!
           Finally, we have the opportunity to schedule "kinetic" demos-fighting, dancing, music, etc. These demos will be held in a demo area shared by other reenactors doing their own displays.
           All persons involved in a live demo or seminar will pay only $5.00 to get in that day. All other days they attend they pay the standard gate fee for that day(s). Here is an example of how it will work. The person who brings the spinning wheel (for instance) and does that live display all day gets in for only $5 (instead of the $20 gate
      fee). His or her friends pay the regular fee. So, folks who are >participants< or >instructors< get in for $5. Anyone else pays full price.
           Besides classes and demos to see the convention is a huge gathering of suttlers, merchants, artists, and artisans. Even if everyone is not of the SCA period, a very many are. And even if they are not, it is incredibly interesting to see. Quite the education and entertainment.
           So, if you are interested in volunteering to man the SCA display, or give a class, or participate in a live demo, please let me know. I will be putting out a schedule and more information when I have more to say. Thank you for your attention.
      Respectfully,
      Alexander de Seton
      known to the IRS as John Seaton
      596 Windsor Drive
      Fox Lake IL 60020
      847-587-0454
      alexdeset"at"aol.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
        Lord Alexander,

        I would be willing to help out for a few hours each day, but not ALL DAY as I would like to have a break, how would that work out if you wanted time to shop, attend classes, etc.  And I can do some painting of scrolls/scroll work, drop spinning but some of my stuff may not be al period.  I can try make it seem period (use shells, etc.)  Any suggestions?  This would be my second time and I plan to be there Friday-Sunday.

        I can do Anglo Saxon, Italian, Irish.

        Lady Eleanor Ravenild

        ************ **
        (http://www.stylelis t.com/trends? ncid=aolsty00050 000000014)

      • AlexdeSet@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
          Greetings!
               Not to worry if whatever class you might teach is not SCA period- folks from picts to present day will be attending, so "period" is several thousand years.
               I do not expect anyone to have to do an "all-day" demo; I prefer to have folks trade off at the SCA display (3-4 hours each) and the class periods are under an hour unless you want them longer.
               Illumination and drop spinning would be excellent for classes or the SCA display. At the SCA display, we should be SCA period, but for classes that is not as much of a problem.
               I'll mark you as a volunteer-please keep an eye out for further announcements. Thanks for your help!

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
            I will do what I can for that.  I will be coming Friday afternoon to check in.  Is there going to be some sort of list of people doing demo.  (I prefer to do the demo at the SCA table as opposed to teaching.  I do have some spindles, but not sure how period they are.  As for scribal, I can come as close as I can on that.  Perhaps when I arrive you can give me some pre-pointers before I start.  When does the actual class scedule come out?

            Thanks,

            Eleanor

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
              Greetings!
                   There will be a list of people to represent the SCA at the SCa display in a common area. We will have small demos there, such that small groups can look at things being done and ask questions. There will be chatelaines and/or handouts describing the SCA. There will be a schedule as to who will be at the SCA display when.
                   Classes will be held in class rooms provided by the Reenactor Fest.
                   Kinetic demos (dance, fighting, other things) will be held in the demonstration area provided by the Reenactor Fest.
                   The event will be in February; I will be putting schedules together as I get people to volunteer their time. I hope to have at least a preliminary schedule by Christmastime.
              Respectfully,
              Alexander

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                We attended last year and really enjoyed the event.  Please schedule us for shift at the booth!   Gavin White of Westburgh & Katherine von Schlosserwald.

                 Kathy Westburg

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                  Good gentles and ladies,
                  After waiting to see the outcome of this weekend's email, I am sending out a request. We are in need of servers and a clean up crew still for Foxhunt. Again if you serve or help us clean up, you will be fed for FREE! This is a wonderful feast with plenty to enjoy, so please contact me offlist and I will put your name on the list. I'm in need of at least 6 more servers and 4 people to help clean up. Thank you much.
                  Lady Francesca/ Mandy
                • AlexdeSet@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 14, 2008
                    Greetings!
                         Many thanks to you both. I will add your names to the list and make sure you get all needful information in the future!
                    Respectfully,
                    Alexander de Seton

[...]

                      Looking for spoilers and reviews on the new TV season? Get AOL's ultimate guide to fall TV.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 30, 2009
                        Dear Alexander,

                        I will be attending this event and as for volunteering.  Please let me know what you need in the way of help. I can help out a little bit Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.  Are you the group that's in the foyer?  If you are, I understand your group gets a discount.  Would I be offered the same discount?  How do I let people know?

                        Please send me your schedule needs, discount details, etc.

                        Cheers,

                        Robin Goldman(Lady Eleanor Ravenild)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 30, 2009
                          Robin, I will be checking with Michael on why the discount was not
                          offered to the folc.

                          Cheers, Folo
                          www.micelfolcland.org
                        • Folo Watkins
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 30, 2009
                            Regarding discounts, everything is worked out; I was not upset, only curious!

                            Cheers, Folo
                          • AlexdeSet@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 30, 2009
                              Greetings!
                                   I have reached the limit of folks to "officially" staff the SCA Information Booth. You are invited to come by and stay as long as you like, with any art, craft, science, etc that you care to display. I am sorry that I cannot include anyone else not currently on the list of SCA booth staff. Thank you for offering!