Re: Beginner lit

  • David Roland
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
      There are several excellent books out there and Adrian has given them
      all to you.

      However, a bum shoulder is not reason to not go to practice. One of
      the most important aspects of any martial art is footwork and that can
      be practiced with a bum shoulder.

      Ian

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson"
      <arngrimbjornson@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
      > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting. Is
      > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice with
      > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

    • Timothy Lyon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
        Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-handed.
        Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to your
        primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and techniques
        you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand is
        being used..

        Logos

        wrote:

        > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
        > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting.
        Is
        > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice
        with
        > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

      • arngrimbjornson
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Lyon" <twlyon24@...> wrote:

          > Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-
          handed.
          > Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to your
          > primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and
          techniques
          > you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand is
          > being used..
          >
          > Logos
          >
          > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson"
          <arngrimbjornson@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I
          can,
          > > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much
          fighting.
          > Is
          > > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice
          > with
          > > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

          Hmm. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I went ahead and ordered the
          Art of Defense from Chivalry Bookshelf, but I'm also in need of a
          practice blade, since I don't think my hand-and-a-half waster is
          really appropriate here. Is the hanwei practical longsword from
          Chivalry any good?
        • Timothy Lyon
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
            <arngrimbjornson@...> wrote:

            > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Lyon" <twlyon24@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-
            > handed.
            > > Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to
            your
            > > primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and
            > techniques
            > > you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand
            is
            > > being used..
            > >
            > > Logos
            > >
            > > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson"
            > <arngrimbjornson@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices
            > can,
            > > > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much
            > fighting.
            > > Is
            > > > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to
            practice
            > > with
            > > > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?
            > > >

            > Hmm. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I went ahead and ordered
            the
            > Art of Defense from Chivalry Bookshelf, but I'm also in need of a
            > practice blade, since I don't think my hand-and-a-half waster is
            > really appropriate here. Is the hanwei practical longsword from
            > Chivalry any good?

            Well....

            Gen 3 hanwei practical longswords (available from many places) are
            experimental for Cut and Thrust. They are not legal, nor probably
            really what you want, for rapier.

            Why don't you email me so I can get better idea of what you're
            looking for and try to point you in the right direction.

            Logos
            twlyon24@...