Re: Beginner lit

  • Jenna
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
      Well you might not beable to play with a sword while healing, but I
      know that at the Thieves of Hearts practice we have a wonderful teacher
      that can get you started with the basics, ie foot work. Kyla is a
      wonderful teacher and I am sure we could ask her to work with you if
      you are interested.

      Cheers
      Keiley

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson" <arngrimbjornson@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
      > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting.
      Is
      > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice
      with
      > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
        There are several excellent books out there and Adrian has given them
        all to you.

        However, a bum shoulder is not reason to not go to practice. One of
        the most important aspects of any martial art is footwork and that can
        be practiced with a bum shoulder.

        Ian

        <arngrimbjornson@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
        > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting. Is
        > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice with
        > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

      • Timothy Lyon
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
          Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-handed.
          Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to your
          primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and techniques
          you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand is
          being used..

          Logos

          wrote:

          > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
          > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting.
          Is
          > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice
          with
          > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

        • arngrimbjornson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Lyon" <twlyon24@...> wrote:

            > Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-
            handed.
            > Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to your
            > primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and
            techniques
            > you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand is
            > being used..
            >
            > Logos
            >
            > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson"
            <arngrimbjornson@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I
            can,
            > > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much
            fighting.
            > Is
            > > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice
            > with
            > > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

            Hmm. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I went ahead and ordered the
            Art of Defense from Chivalry Bookshelf, but I'm also in need of a
            practice blade, since I don't think my hand-and-a-half waster is
            really appropriate here. Is the hanwei practical longsword from
            Chivalry any good?
          • Timothy Lyon
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
              <arngrimbjornson@...> wrote:

              > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Lyon" <twlyon24@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-
              > handed.
              > > Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to
              your
              > > primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and
              > techniques
              > > you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand
              is
              > > being used..
              > >
              > > Logos
              > >
              > > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson"
              > <arngrimbjornson@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices
              > can,
              > > > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much
              > fighting.
              > > Is
              > > > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to
              practice
              > > with
              > > > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?
              > > >

              > Hmm. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I went ahead and ordered
              the
              > Art of Defense from Chivalry Bookshelf, but I'm also in need of a
              > practice blade, since I don't think my hand-and-a-half waster is
              > really appropriate here. Is the hanwei practical longsword from
              > Chivalry any good?

              Well....

              Gen 3 hanwei practical longswords (available from many places) are
              experimental for Cut and Thrust. They are not legal, nor probably
              really what you want, for rapier.

              Why don't you email me so I can get better idea of what you're
              looking for and try to point you in the right direction.

              Logos
              twlyon24@...