Beginner lit

  • arngrimbjornson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
      Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
      but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting. Is
      there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice with
      in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?
    • Flechyr
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
        Here are three key books for learning about and how to fight with a rapier:

        http://www.amazon.com/Duellists-Companion-training-century-Italian/dp/1891448323/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219257443&sr=1-2

        http://www.amazon.com/Art-Dueling-Century-Rapier-Salvatore/dp/1891448234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219257416&sr=1-1

        http://www.amazon.com/Arte-Defence-Introduction-Use-Rapier/dp/1891448188/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219257477&sr=1-1

        Adrian Flechyr
        Tattershall School of Defense
        Gallowglass Academy
        Chicago Swordplay Guild
        (Adrian Flechyr - SCA)
        Damnant quod non intellegunt.

        On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:33 PM, arngrimbjornson <arngrimbjornson@...> wrote:
        Hey guys, quick question.  I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
        but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting.  Is
        there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice with
        in the mean time?  Specifically, rapier-centric?

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           mailto:Ayreton-digest@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jenna
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
          Well you might not beable to play with a sword while healing, but I
          know that at the Thieves of Hearts practice we have a wonderful teacher
          that can get you started with the basics, ie foot work. Kyla is a
          wonderful teacher and I am sure we could ask her to work with you if
          you are interested.

          Cheers
          Keiley

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson" <arngrimbjornson@...>
          wrote:

          > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
          > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting.
          Is
          > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice
          with
          > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
            There are several excellent books out there and Adrian has given them
            all to you.

            However, a bum shoulder is not reason to not go to practice. One of
            the most important aspects of any martial art is footwork and that can
            be practiced with a bum shoulder.

            Ian

            <arngrimbjornson@...> wrote:

            > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I can,
            > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much fighting. Is
            > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice with
            > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

          • Timothy Lyon
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
              Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-handed.
              Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to your
              primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and techniques
              you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand is
              being used..

              Logos

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2008
                --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Lyon" <twlyon24@...> wrote:

                > Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-
                handed.
                > Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to your
                > primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and
                techniques
                > you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand is
                > being used..
                >
                > Logos
                >
                > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson"
                <arngrimbjornson@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices I
                can,
                > > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much
                fighting.
                > Is
                > > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to practice
                > with
                > > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?

                Hmm. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I went ahead and ordered the
                Art of Defense from Chivalry Bookshelf, but I'm also in need of a
                practice blade, since I don't think my hand-and-a-half waster is
                really appropriate here. Is the hanwei practical longsword from
                Chivalry any good?
              • Timothy Lyon
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2008
                  <arngrimbjornson@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Lyon" <twlyon24@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Is it your primary, i.e. right shoulder? Start practicing off-
                  > handed.
                  > > Interestingly enough, learning with the off-hand translates to
                  your
                  > > primary hand. In rapier, if you have good fundamentals and
                  > techniques
                  > > you will be surprised how little difference it makes which hand
                  is
                  > > being used..
                  > >
                  > > Logos
                  > >
                  > > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "arngrimbjornson"
                  > <arngrimbjornson@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hey guys, quick question. I'm gonna try to make the practices
                  > can,
                  > > > but with this bum shoulder still healing, I can't do much
                  > fighting.
                  > > Is
                  > > > there some good literature/manuals I could be reading to
                  practice
                  > > with
                  > > > in the mean time? Specifically, rapier-centric?
                  > > >

                  > Hmm. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I went ahead and ordered
                  the
                  > Art of Defense from Chivalry Bookshelf, but I'm also in need of a
                  > practice blade, since I don't think my hand-and-a-half waster is
                  > really appropriate here. Is the hanwei practical longsword from
                  > Chivalry any good?

                  Well....

                  Gen 3 hanwei practical longswords (available from many places) are
                  experimental for Cut and Thrust. They are not legal, nor probably
                  really what you want, for rapier.

                  Why don't you email me so I can get better idea of what you're
                  looking for and try to point you in the right direction.

                  Logos
                  twlyon24@...