Re: [Ayreton] Minutes from the Towne Hall meeting on 9/30 (fox hunt)

  • Calybrid Ine Tere
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
      The ravenslake 2 cents....

      Our Border Skirmish/MKAOD site does not have a great kitchen, it has NO kitchen, no sinks, nothing.
      Also, no public transit.  Also, the site owners are a pain in the rear to deal with, and you can expect the site to cost about 2500 for the weekend.
      There are no side rooms available, and we're talking about march, so the weather cannot be counted on.  The single "great hall" room is the only indoor space available, so i cannot recommend this site.

      Calybrid

      On 10/2/06, Dayle Harding <acelinaofderelei@...> wrote:

      Greetings all from your humble Lady Mayor--

      First, thanks to all who attended the Towne Hall meeting.  While some of the people were the same as those at MKAOD, there were also many new faces there, and I think progress was made.  This whole thing is for the people in all of the groups, not for me or just a select few of us.  Having more input and people willing to make this work just makes this better.  As promised, here is a summary of what was discussed:
      _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      There was a suggestion put forth that the group(s) investigate the possibility of a mid-August event time, as Pennsic will be starting a week earlier beginning this coming Pennsic.  This was not something most people were enthusiatic about, and in fact, a couple of people from some groups stated outright that this wouldn't work for their group.  Ravenslake is faced with coming up with the fundage for MKAOD at that time, so their money is already being used at that time.  There was a similar situation for another group, but I wasn't smart enough to write it down.

      So, we are back to the March to May idea.  Here's what the Kingdom Calendar says is happening between then:

      March...pretty wide open.  We need to ask Illiton about Rites of Spring.

      April....chock full.  April 1st is Palm Sunday, therefore April 8 is Easter.  April 21 is War Faire in Blackhawk.  April 28 is Coronation.  Uncommitted weekends so far are April 7 (day before Easter) and April 14.  I would like to point out, however, that as a family that DOES go to alot of events, that may be way overestimating how many events people want to go to in one month.  Just my 2 cents....

      May....  May 3 is Armored Egg Hunt in Baile.   May 18 is Chaos Caravan in Grey Hope.  Memorial Day weekend is Crown Tournament.

      So, there we have it.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      Potential sites:

      We actually do have a few in the running.  I will give what information I have about each, and list those who are going to get MORE information about others.....

      Hope Pres. Church, Wheaton.  Advantages:  great outdoor site.  Large room in basement (fellowship hall) that would work for boffers and rapier, but not heavies.  Only viable alternative for heavy is the Sanctuary, and we have not approached them about this.  Very nice kitchen facilities.  Good parking.  Close to public transportation.  Not sure about price for a full day, but seems like they would be reasonably priced. Not sure of availability ( i.e., if any weddings there).  Contact person:  Anna Rakell (she's a member of this church).  We will be using it for boffer practice starting 10/2.

      Kendall County Fairgrounds, Yorkville.  Where we just were for Fox Hunt.  Advantages:  there is a roofed "barn" with open walls that is very large, and could easily house all forms of combat at once if planned out right.  There is also a big building that was used for populace and merchant space that could also house combat.  It does not appear to be heated (we didn't see any duct work), but we could probably rent large heaters if we needed them.  The kitchen is not finished yet (ok, there's a building, and the pipe work is there, but that's it for now), but it looks like it will be good.  Great outdoor site.  PLENTY of parking.  Not even remotely close to public transportation.  However, we could get it for a camping event.  Approximate price:  about $1000 for use of all buildings for one day, and up to about $1400 if we want to include camping.  Contact person(s):  Several at Fox Vale knew about it.  Having a brain cramp for specifics.

      Ravenslake site for Border Skirmish and MKAOD.  Limited indoor site, but great outdoor site.  Good kitchen, good bathrooms, hot showers (yeaaaaa).  Good parking.  Not sure about the public transportation thing (Ravenslake people, feel free to jump in here).  Obviously, is able to be a camping event.  Approximate price:  $2500.  Contact person(s):  Ravenslake people (I gotta start writing down names).

      Glenbrook High School.  If it becomes an available site, we'd have two gyms, the home ec room for cooking (can we say several kitchens in one room?), and locker rooms for shower facilities.  I'm told parking is good.  I have no clue about Public transportation.  Price and availability:  as yet, unknown.  Contact person:  Tedesco.  He is still working on this, and will let us know as soon as he does.

      Salvation Army headquarter site in Chicago proper.  This would be downtown Chicago.  So, public transportation is obviously good.  Not sure about parking.  Would be an indoor site.  Price and availability: as yet unknown.  Contact person:  Helene Gabrielle de Lac.  She is investigating this and will get back to us when she has more info.

      We did agree that we would like to get a site ASAP.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      Theme

      Well, several themes were discussed.  One was the one previously put forth ala 14th century Pas d'Arms type thing.  There was talk about themes involving Winds, and even Middle Eastern involving Sirrocco.  However, then a comment was made about a Mafia like event, which went to Machiavelli (and NOT Johannes), and evolved into a Venetian event.  Or at least Italian Ren.  The idea that seemed to go over the best was to have an Italian event similar to the Duchess events that Blackhawk used to have, including much for the non-combatant populace to engage in.  Ideas included having each table at feast be from a different city in Italy.  Having riddles or other contests that would require the collection of information throughout the day.

      People did also like the idea brought forth by Meruig on an earlier post of the Lady Mayor having a parade (I will so get him for this...not sure how yet, but I gots people for that).

      Pagentry did seem to be popular, as well.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      Events to include

      The overwhelming idea was to try to go for everything, and scale back as needed for the site in question.  The idea of champions was still very popular, and the breaking up of A&S to have multiple champions was also very popular.  The thought is to break it up in the same way that the categories are divided for Kingdom A&S tourneys, and to have populace bean counts in each area.

      In a similar vein, people liked the idea of having martial champions from all areas, as well (except for equestrian, as none in the area seem to do that particular sport).  So, if the event site is NOT conducive for archery and thrown weapons, the idea was that the Lady Mayor would "sponsor" a separate time, preferably ahead of time, for this to occur.  That way, those champions could at least be announced on event day.

      Also, for the formal tournaments, the idea was to include not only total wins, but to incorporate ideas such as chivalry on the field in to help determine a winner.

      I offered to come to the Vanished Wood event with a "sign up sheet" of sorts, divided into the usual areas that will need doing....feast, publicity, martial arts, competitions, etc.  That way, we may be able to get sub-committees going for the various areas.  (Oh man, that DOES sound chicago-ish, doesn't it).
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      Next meeting

      All Souls  in Vanished Wood on Nov. 4th.  We are doing a site visit tomorrow night, and schedules will start to be worked out then.  Either I or my Towne Cryer will announce it as soon as we have it.

      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      Money

      It was suggested that all the groups split the cost, and the profits, but if there were losses that we not include Fox Vale.  That was until it was discovered that our Incipient Shire folk have been doing tons of fund raising, and aren't quite as poor as we thought.  So far it's still equal shares for all.  I believe that the groups that have officially voted yes are Vanished Wood, Rokkehealden and TGS.  Ravenslake was a yes pending when the event took place.  Grey Gargoyles was going to vote yesterday.  And I can't remember about Fox Vale.  I was not smart enough to write these down, however, so please let me know if I blew this.
      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      Ok, did I miss anything (probably, just be kind to your old Mayor, ok?)

      See you in November....

      Acelina

    • Steven Krause
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
        Rites hasn't been scheduled yet. We're still ramping up to Crown on the 21st.

        Traditionally we try to hold Rites on the 3rd weekend in March. That's
        usually a dry, decent weather weekend. We probably won't know until
        sometime in November what arrangements we'll come up with this year.

        Double check with the seneschal however. He may have knowledge that I don't.

        Dietrich

        --
        Steven Krause Dietrich von Andernach
      • Tedesco da Venezia
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
          Also as a matter of keeping this all-Ayreton and not anchored to one shire, I would LIKE to shy away from using any existing event sites so there's not a tendency towards "This is the MKAOD site, so it's a Ravenslake event".  For the same reason, I shy away from Ida Noyes Hall, the Grey Gargoyles event site.  (But...  if any existing site is the only good/cheap option, I won't oppose it.)

          Has anyone (ever) looked into county fairgrounds (such as DuPage fairgrounds-- Foxhunt was at the Kendall County fairgrounds, and it was a nice site) or community colleges (such as College of DuPage, Westwood, Wheaton, ITT, DeVry, etc)?  There are many potential sites in these places, and I haven't heard much mention about them.  Anyone know anyone who is faculty/staff of any of these facilities?

          As a note of sponsorship..  I noticed on the calendar, there's an event called "Inkin' in Lincoln" that shows the sponsoring group as "{Baile na Scolairi/Rokkehealden}" as co-sponsors..  (This is opposed to the incipient shire sponsorship, which is shown differently-- for example "{Drakelaw (Val d'Azure}}")  This is the first time (I think) that the kingdom calendar has listed co-sponsors in this fashion...  I realize it may be a little excessive, but could we get all six shires listed as co-sponsors?  Anyone from Rokkehealden on this list know anything about how this worked for you?

          Oh, and since it hasn't yet been mentioned here, Grey Gargoyles did indeed have a vote yesterday on supporting the Ayreton event, and the result was overwhelmingly in favor of supporting it.  YAY!

          ~Tedesco da Venezia~

        • Patricia E. Chadwick
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006

            <snipped for length>

            As a note of sponsorship. .  I noticed on the calendar, there's an event called "Inkin' in Lincoln " that shows the sponsoring group as "{Baile na Scolairi/Rokkehealden}" as co-sponsors. .  (This is opposed to the incipient shire sponsorship, which is shown differently- - for example "{Drakelaw (Val d'Azure}}")  This is the first time (I think) that the kingdom calendar has listed co-sponsors in this fashion...  I realize it may be a little excessive, but could we get all six shires listed as co-sponsors?  Anyone from Rokkehealden on this list know anything about how this worked for you?

            All we had to do was have BOTH seneschals agree.  I maybe over simplifying it.

            In Service,

            Akiko co-autocrat for Inkin in Lincoln .  Please volunteer. J

          • K Westburg
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
              VW has used the DuPage County Fairgrounds and, quite frankly, the cooking facilities are an abomination.  College of DuPage used to have decent space for things like fighter practice, but over the years have remodeled the spaces and made them unsuitable. In addition, College of DuPage's food service contractor jealously guards any and all food served on campus and is not agreeable to letting others serve, let alone cook on campus.  I still have contacts at COD and can check out the possibilities, but I don't hold out much hope.

              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______

              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______

[...]

              Kathy Westburg
              "In life, you steel yourself for things that could go wrong. And when someting goes wrong, you have to have faith and you have to believe that it can be a new chapter."
              Terri Irwin
            • Dayle Harding
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                Ok, I can speak from experience about the DuPage county fair grounds, and I did visit the Kane County fairgrounds once in hopes of a site.

                DuPage county fairgrounds is booked ALOT, but alot of groups, which makes for limited availability.  The main building would be great, but is hardly ever available.  Those who went to the two events we did there know that the "cafeteria" has only a marginal kitchen (I'm being kind), and there wasn't alot of indoor fighting space.  We were promised hot water in the showers, but apparently that never really happened.  And the animal smells were way worse.  I can't remember price off the top of my head, but I can look it up if we are really serious about it.

                Kane county has some great potential, but the availability issue is questionable.  I seem to recall that it was expensive for the times, as well.  But always worth looking into.

                I have no info about McHenry or Lake County fairgrounds.  And does Cook County HAVE a fairgrounds? (answer probably at one time, but as a lifetime suburbanite, I have no clue).

                Acelina

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Hmmmm...interesting.  Didnt' think that was in the rules, but has great potential.....

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                    The Kendall County site has been a pleasure to work with. The price is reasonable and they are constantly making improvements to the site. I know it is not centrally located, but I think it is probably the best value for the money. The site would be approx. $1500 for the entire weekend, so camping is an option if we want to go that route.

                    It is also large enough to hold a good sized War Practice! The first weekends of May and June are open as well as the middle of July. I can't remember off hand what events are traditionally held those weekends, but it is something to consider.

                    Ld. Earik MacSkellie
                    Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly
                    Marshal, Incipient Shire of Foxvale
                  • Jenna Klauss
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                      Hello to the List,

                         Just as a 411 the Lake County & Grayslake Board has sold that location (@ Rt 120 & Rt 45).  I live in Grayslake and try to keep informed about my towns happenings. From what I understand the Fair will be held at the Rt 45& Rt 120 location through the 2007 season.  They plan to start moving it to the new location in 2008. (Never 100% in my special little town, for timing that is.)  So that, unfortunately, would not be a site that location would stay the same, in years to come.  I can try to find out where they are moving it to, but not sure of that either due to declining population of the fair. Anything you would like me to find out in particular while I am digging and asking.  Acelina if you have more direct ?'s for me to answer you can email me off the list as well.

                      Cheers & Kisses
                      Keiley

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                        dupage's cost was by the building, the set up for our
                        events was between 900-1100 depending on the setup for
                        the year.
                        --kiyohara

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • AlexdeSet@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                           Greetings!
                               Quoth Herronnah, in part,..."Ravenslake site for Border Skirmish and MKAOD.  Limited indoor site, but great outdoor site.  Good kitchen, good bathrooms, hot showers (yeaaaaa).  Good parking.  Not sure about the public transportation thing (Ravenslake people, feel free to jump in here).  Obviously, is able to be a camping event.  Approximate price:  $2500.  Contact person(s):  Ravenslake people (I gotta start writing down names)."...

                               There is no kitchen there. They have outlets, a refrigerator, and some coolers- we cook in tabletop roasters and crock pots. Nope, no kitchen.
                               No public transport, to speak of, either. Metra trains run to Fox Lake, McHenry, and Crystal lake, but then to get to the site you need friends with vehicles, a cab, or the PACE bus. Not good alternatives, except for the friends.
                               Great camping site, groundfire OK, beach, no restrictions as far as activities since it is private property, 8000 sq foot hall (lots of echos) with a dais, dance floor, etc, and tables and chairs...Yup, the showers, we recommend getting about 2 porta potties to back up (excuse the expression) the indoor plumbing. Not so much fun if it rains, though...
                          Is mise le meas,
                          Alexander de Seton

                        • AlexdeSet@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                            Greetings!
                                 As far as I know, the McHenry county "fairgrounds" (who realatively recently sold most of their land including a racetrack, etc, to a strip mall) consists of some fields and a few stock pavillions. It is in Woodstock, on the western side of the county, north of the intersection of rte 14 and 47.
                                 Lake county has good facilities, but are well booked and cost a good bit.
                            Is mise le meas,
                            Alexander de Seton

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 2, 2006
                              Tedesco da Venezia wrote:

                              > As a note of sponsorship.. I noticed on the calendar, there's an
                              > event called "Inkin' in Lincoln" that shows the sponsoring group as
                              > "{Baile na Scolairi/Rokkehealden}" as co-sponsors.. (This is opposed
                              > to the incipient shire sponsorship, which is shown differently-- for
                              > example "{Drakelaw (Val d'Azure}}") This is the first time (I think)
                              > that the kingdom calendar has listed co-sponsors in this fashion... I
                              > realize it may be a little excessive, but could we get all six shires
                              > listed as co-sponsors? Anyone from Rokkehealden on this list know
                              > anything about how this worked for you?

                              Aikiko has answered on the 'how' portion, but I have to say I think
                              this would be a bad idea taken to this extent. If nothing else, I think
                              the Pale editor would wince at the line-length of
                              "Grey Gargoyles/Ravenslake/Rokkehealden/Tree-Girt-Sea/Vanished
                              Woods/Foxvale" (or however it'd be formatted).

                              Xavier
                            • Elizabeth Hernandez
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 3, 2006

                                Greetings,

                                I have been following along with the conversation. Being new to the neighborhood, I have no info on sites, but....

                                There has been made mention of a parade or processional for this new event we are planning. Then there was mention of an Italian theme. It got me thinking. When my husband was stationed in Italy there was a city named Marostica that we were priviliged to visit for a unique event that has been taking place since 1454. Here is a good, informative URL about the Chess game they have been reenacting every other year since 1454.

                                The reason I mention this is because the pageantry does have members representing the different housholds process in their finest regalia in support of the alternative found to dueling. I thought it was kind of neat that there is a historical president in the country you/we were looking at to model this event around.

                                Just throwing this out for you all to chew on.

                                In Service,
                                Sibeal inghean Mhurchadha
                                Rokkehealden

                              • KCMalone3@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 3, 2006
                                  In a message dated 10/03/2006 9:20:23 PM Central Daylight Time, sibeal63@... writes:

                                  When my husband was stationed in Italy there was a city named Marostica that we were priviliged to visit for a unique event that has been taking place since 1454. Here is a good

                                  What a great site, Sibeal!  I think that would be fun if our mayor is up for the parade!

                                  Anna Rakel
                                  (Kellee)
                                • Dayle Harding
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 3, 2006
                                    Up for it?  Dunno.  Resigned that it's gonna happen with or without her blessing?  Yea.  Actually, it would be cool if I wasn't the one leading it.  I like the IDEA of it....just not ME....but I'd do it.