Home School Demo

  • Sarafina Sinclair
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 18, 2008
      Greetings Citizens!

      I am writing to propose two dates for the big demo we agreed to do for the home school group: September 13 or October 11. The idea is to set up stations for folks to visit rather than putting on a show that people watch. I'd like to have stations that represent the major activities that we do and also to have roaming SCAdians to answer any questions that folks may have.

      I'll need someone to run the following stations (listed in no particular order of importance). Please feel free to suggest any additional stations you feel would be needed:

      European/Middle Eastern Dance
      Armored Combat (heavy)/Rapier Combat
      Youth Boffer
      Bardic/Performance Arts
      Textile Arts (spinning, weaving, costume, etc)
      Studio Arts (such as wood/metal/leatherworking, C&I, etc)

      I know that the ability to attend will depend on the date, so please please let ME know ASAP which date works best so I can secure a location. (Right now I am looking at forest preserve picnic groves). Please respond directly to ME if you'd like to run one of the stations or just help in general. There is potential for upwards of 100 families to attend.

      Thank you in advance for your help with this demo!!

      Sarafina :D

      --
      Mistress Sarafina Sinclair, OL
      http://ladysarafina.home.att.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 18, 2008
        Hi Sarafina,

        I can't commit to running a station, I will do everything I can to participate in the heavy combat portion.

        As for the dates, October 11th would be much better for me and likely for others who are working on the Fox Hunt which is on Sept 20th since it is just one week after your Sept 13th date. It's not that the 13th is impossible, just a bit inconvenient.

        --Richard

        On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Sarafina Sinclair <Sarafina.Sinclair@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Dayle Harding
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 18, 2008
          Serafina--

          I (Acelina) can make either date, and will be happy to man the Youth Combat area.  My Youth Combatant, Sarah, has a rehearsal marathon for band (it's a fundraiser) on Sept. 13th, but has no conflict with Oct. 11th.

          Let us know,
          Acelina

        • jeffnaggie@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 18, 2008
            In a message dated 8/18/2008 2:55:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time, Sarafina.Sinclair@... writes:
[...]

            I am not sure if you want a group decision for which date works best or personal but...for Gareth and I Oct. 11th works better.

            Hillary

          • Sheehan, Justin
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 19, 2008

              I’d think that makes 10/11 the date to go with, since a youth fighter (or handful of youth fighters) would be a key element in this kind of demo. My expertise is sort of out of the scope of a demo focused on teenagers (although a corps of youngsters brewing soda and root beer would be pretty awesome), but I’d be happy to help if I can.

              Cheers,

              Eoghan

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 19, 2008
                Dear Aryeton,

                I have volunteered to provide a history demo for a summer program for city youth and we have just finalized the arrangements for Thursday, Aug 21. This Thursday! Aethelwulf is going to bring his torch and make glass beads, and I will have armor, some garb, and some other crafts.

                There is plenty of room for more volunteers, for anybody who is free on a Thursday daytime. Either morning or afternoon is OK, since Aethelwulf and I will be there the entire day. I'm sorry for the late notice, but this is the best I can do.

                The schedule is SCA demo in the morning, glass beads in the afternoon.
                The address is 1550 W. 88th St, which is the corner of 88th and Ashland.
                The contact person is Rick Butler, who is one of the Aikido senseis in my organization. (The summer program also teaches Aikido to the students.)

                Rick says the 87th St exit from the Dan Ryan is closed or has a nasty detour. He recommends taking the 95th St exit and go west to Ashland, then turn north. I said we would arrive at the dojo around 9:30am, which allows some extra time to deal with traffic. No doubt they will feed us lunch (as they did last time), and we can spend as much time there as we like.

                If anyone can come, please give me a call (773-764-1920 home) or send me email. No special skills needed; more hands to help with armor and dressing up the students would be great! And anything else that you can think of. These kids ask lots of questions!

                Hope to see you Thursday!

                Fern
              • Wendy Pastrick
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 19, 2008
                  I would also be more inclined (ie - healed enough) to help out for the October date.
                  I can do something for ME dance if you still need someone.

                  Smiles,
                  Jale

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 19, 2008
                    Sarafina,

                    Anton brought this up to me last night. I know it doesn't help,
                    but we can help with either date. As always he can do rapier, and
                    while I don't have any A&S skills I can always answer questions for
                    people.

                    Cheers & Kisses
                    Keiley
                    --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Sarafina Sinclair"

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 19, 2008
                      Your Excellency (Keiley, I mean, as there are several around)--

                      Not only can you provide a fine example of color, including a cool hat, we will probably also want a good number of constables (in addition to marshals) for the fighting stuff with that many visitors in attendance.  Especially if there are alot of kids around.  While most will probably be fine, the more you have the greater the chances of one or two being a bit on the high activity side.  And, we just like hanging with ya....

                      Acelina

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 19, 2008

                        <Sarafina.Sinclair@ ...> wrote:

                        > Greetings Citizens!
                        >
                        > I am writing to propose two dates for the big demo we agreed to do
                        for the
                        > home school group: September 13 or October 11. The idea is to set up
                        > stations for folks to visit rather than putting on a show that
                        people watch.
                        > I'd like to have stations that represent the major activities that
                        we do and
                        > also to have roaming SCAdians to answer any questions that folks
                        may have.

                        > I'll need someone to run the following stations (listed in no
                        particular
                        > order of importance). Please feel free to suggest any additional
                        stations
                        > you feel would be needed:
                        >
                        > European/Middle Eastern Dance
                        > Armored Combat (heavy)/Rapier Combat
                        > Youth Boffer
                        > Bardic/Performance Arts
                        > Textile Arts (spinning, weaving, costume, etc)
                        > Studio Arts (such as wood/metal/leatherw orking, C&I, etc)
                        >
                        > I know that the ability to attend will depend on the date, so
                        please please
                        > let ME know ASAP which date works best so I can secure a location.
                        (Right
                        > now I am looking at forest preserve picnic groves). Please respond
                        directly
                        > to ME if you'd like to run one of the stations or just help in
                        general.
                        > There is potential for upwards of 100 families to attend.
                        >
                        > Thank you in advance for your help with this demo!!
                        >
                        > Sarafina :D
                        >
                        > --
                        > Mistress Sarafina Sinclair, OL
                        > http://ladysarafina .home.att. net

                      • Tom Hughes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 19, 2008

                          Fern,

                          I could come down to the demo and marshal youth combat.  I will bring our son Jason.

                          Sean o’Shaughnessy

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 20, 2008
                            Hi Sarafina!

                            I work September 13 but could be avalible October 11.

                            Thanks for schedualling something like this. Let us know when we have
                            something more solid planned.

                            ~Philip

                            <Sarafina.Sinclair@...> wrote:

                            > Greetings Citizens!
                            >
                            > I am writing to propose two dates for the big demo we agreed to do
                            for the
                            > home school group: September 13 or October 11. The idea is to set up
                            > stations for folks to visit rather than putting on a show that
                            people watch.
                            > I'd like to have stations that represent the major activities that
                            we do and
                            > also to have roaming SCAdians to answer any questions that folks
                            may have.

                            > I'll need someone to run the following stations (listed in no
                            particular
                            > order of importance). Please feel free to suggest any additional
                            stations
                            > you feel would be needed:
                            >
                            > European/Middle Eastern Dance
                            > Armored Combat (heavy)/Rapier Combat
                            > Youth Boffer
                            > Bardic/Performance Arts
                            > Textile Arts (spinning, weaving, costume, etc)
                            > Studio Arts (such as wood/metal/leatherworking, C&I, etc)
                            >
                            > I know that the ability to attend will depend on the date, so
                            please please
                            > let ME know ASAP which date works best so I can secure a location.
                            (Right
                            > now I am looking at forest preserve picnic groves). Please respond
                            directly
                            > to ME if you'd like to run one of the stations or just help in
                            general.
                            > There is potential for upwards of 100 families to attend.
                            >
                            > Thank you in advance for your help with this demo!!
                            >
                            > Sarafina :D
                            >
                            > --
                            > Mistress Sarafina Sinclair, OL
                            > http://ladysarafina.home.att.net

                          • K Westburg
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 20, 2008
                              I could do an October 11th demo. I can bring all or most of my CIRCA 1200 project; A living History presentation depicting peasant life in rural England 800 years ago.  It's  hands on and interactive for kids and adults. It was presented last year at Jubilee College Olde English Faire and was well received.

                               Kathy Westburg   aka Lady Katherine von Schlosserwald

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 20, 2008
                                Hello Friends,

                                Based on the response I've received, it looks like October 11th will be the best date for the demo. Now that we've decided that, I can make some more concrete plans.

                                I am out of town on a business trip to Florida until Friday. Please keep me in your good thoughts as I'm not looking forward to flying into a storm. I'll report more on the demo next week.

                                In Service,

                                Sarafina :D