Recruiting New Members in the SCA

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 22, 2008
      Howdy All!

      Recruitment is a great thing – especially as we work to grow our
      Incipient Barony and its groups. If you have a chance to make Pennsic
      there are a lot of opportunities to learn more about different
      recruitment methods.

      In particular:

      Syr Kyppyn Kirkcaldy will be teaching his "Recruiting New Members in
      the SCA. Principles of recruiting new members from modern society.
      Four basic topics will be discussed: Identifying Your Target
      Population; Demos & Networking; Promoting the SCA to Newcomers; and
      Retaining SCA Newcomers and Members".

      The classes will be held in AS 5 on Sun., 8/3, 4 PM, AS 4 on Mon.,
      8/4, 3 PM, and AS 6 on Tue., 8/5, 3 PM. The class is only one hour.

      Our Kingdom Seneschal has encouraged us to attend. I'll try to make
      it myself but it would be good to see others there too – especially
      any Seneschals and Chatelaines.

      See you at war!
      ~Philip
    • Dayle Harding
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008

        Philip--

        I've taken Sir Kyppen's class, and it's really good.  In fact, he is willing to come to groups to offer it and make it area-specific, so we discussed at our business meeting on Sunday (VW's) that we would like to sponsor him coming in (we'd house and feed him and any of his family that wants to come with him) and have him do his class to any people from Ayreton who would like to attend.  I was going to contact him AFTER war about scheduling (only cuz stuff is too hectic now, and I want the pressure to be off of both of us).  So, for those who can't make it at war, we'll try to bring the speaker to you.....

        Acelina

      • jeffnaggie@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008
          Speaking as a chatelaine I think that's a great idea.  The care and feeding (and gaining) of new members is a lot easier if it becomes a whole group activity.....It takes a village....or in our case a future barony....

          Hillary

          In a message dated 7/23/2008 7:46:29 A.M. Central Daylight Time, acelinaofderelei@... writes:

          Philip--

          I've taken Sir Kyppen's class, and it's really good.  In fact, he is willing to come to groups to offer it and make it area-specific, so we discussed at our business meeting on Sunday (VW's) that we would like to sponsor him coming in (we'd house and feed him and any of his family that wants to come with him) and have him do his class to any people from Ayreton who would like to attend.  I was going to contact him AFTER war about scheduling (only cuz stuff is too hectic now, and I want the pressure to be off of both of us).  So, for those who can't make it at war, we'll try to bring the speaker to you.....

          Acelina

        • Wendy Pastrick
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008
            If there are any handouts from Syr Kyppyn's class, can I get a copy when you all return? I've been wanting to get his materials...(or I suppose I could just email him...duh)

            Smiles,
            Jale

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008
              Oooh, even better :)

              Thanks, Acelina!!!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 23, 2008
                I would love to take that class, as I most likely won't have time at
                Pennsic!
                (OK, so I'll be caught up in some shmooze vortex...)

                Tabitha Pennywarden
                Ravenslake, Midlands
                Middle Kingdom