Craftperson Database - need submissions!

  • Wendy Pastrick
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
      Hi everyone!

      At the Baronial meeting (please just infer Incipient...it gets tiresome to write out) on Sunday, I was reminded that we wanted to compile a database with all of our local artisans and their areas of expertise.

      If you would like to be included, please fill out the information below - one time for EACH of the Crafts you would like to be listed for. There is no limit to the number of Crafts you can submit for yourself.

      Also, if you would like to nominate someone to be listed, please send me their name(s) and contact information and I will be happy to contact them regarding a listing.

      Full Name:
      SCA Name:
      Craft:
      Level of Experience: Enthusiast, Advanced, Expert
      Willing to: Share Knowledge/Resources, Teach, Mentor
      Location: (please provide name of area - Northside Chicago, Hyde Park, Bensenville, Aurora, etc)
      Email:
      Phone number:

      There may be additional information we will include, but I will contact each person upon submission.

      Here's an example of my form:
      Full Name: Wendy Pastrick
      SCA Name: Jale bint Amar
      Craft: Middle Eastern Dance
      Level of Experience: Expert
      Willing to: Share Knowledge/Resources, Teach
      Location: NW Chicago (Jefferson Park)
      Email: trybl_dance@...
      Phone number: 773-736-5183

      I will work with Mistress Sarafina to have something up and online shortly after Pennsic.

      Looking forward to seeing your submission!
      PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE LIST - email the form to me: trybl_dance@...

      All are welcome to participate, so don't be shy!

      In service,

      Jale/Wendy
    • Wendy Pastrick
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
        I think after reviewing some of the submissions, I'm renaming this project to:

        Talent Database

        Craftperson seems to infer a tangible 'thing' that people create, and we want all talents - singing/dancing/martial

        Looking forward to many, many more submissions!
        Don't forget to suggest your friends! I don't mind duplicate entries if you think they would have already submitted, send them in anyway.
        In service,
        Jale
      • Robyyan Torr d'Elandris
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 16, 2008
          I neglected to ask at the meeting... how is this list going to be kept, accessed, and made available to people?  What email address and phone number I might list will depend on who is able to get to the data and how.

          Tree-Girt-Sea, Midrealm (Chicago, IL USA)
          http://robyyan.googlepages.com

          Email: trybl_dance@ yahoo.com

          PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE LIST - email the form to me: trybl_dance@ yahoo.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
            Well, I will be maintaining it at least initially.

            I envision that people would look at a list of talents/crafts and then see who is available to contact. We can also set it up for multiple search type options (location, person, etc.)

            Does that help?

            In service,
            Jale

            I neglected to ask at the meeting... how is this list going to be kept, accessed, and made available to people? What email address and phone number I might list will depend on who is able to get to the data and how.
          • Teleri
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
              Is this going to be put out on the Ayreton Yahoo Group page, or are you trying to keep it out of public hands?  The Yahoo groups have a database function, and some parts of this information is already being kept in databases on TGS and GG.  Maybe we should start from these instead of starting over?  This also lets people update their own entries as things change.

              Teleri

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
                In an effort to compile a comprehensive and consistent listing, I feel it is easier to collect all the information and format it. Pulling from older sources does not guarantee accurate information and as a database geek, I have strong feelings about that.

                The method of distribution has not been set, however, I also strongly feel that dissemination of information is the goal and requiring people to have a Yahoo account, or contact an administrator in order to find out who they can talk to about 'costuming' (for example) defeats the point of having a database.

                No one is required to put any information in they don't want shared. There are many ways to mask email addresses to protect from phishing/spam/scammers. If you're a Laurel, then you're listed on a public Laurel page - you decide what email and phone you want (or not) to use. Same kind of concept here.

                Right now, all I'm doing is collecting information. Nothing is being posted, just compiled. I'm hoping to have a LOT of work to do on this project as we have a LOT of very talented people out there.

                In service,
                Jale

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
                  FWIW....I've been listed name, telephone and email on many public sites for several years and I've never had any problems or had excessive spamming happen.

                  This could also easily be done with all the name/craft/etc information posted and a simple "contact me" link/button.

                  Really, folks, I'm not trying to make anyone's information abused.

                  Is this going to be put out on the Ayreton Yahoo Group page, or are you trying to keep it out of public hands? The Yahoo groups have a database function, and some parts of this information is already being kept in databases on TGS and GG. Maybe we should start from these instead of starting over? This also lets people update their own entries as things change.

                  Teleri

                • kevin purtrell
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008

                    If a Craftsperson is uncomfortable with their contact information on the Internet,(eventhough Google makes it easy to find anybody)  then perhaps they can choose not to participate.

                    -Kevin Ambrozijwski

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 17, 2008
                      The question is more one of distribution than content.  Is the intent to have this available on the web, or a paper distribution, or "Call Jale and ask for information?"

                      I've got one email address I'd use for one method, and a different address for another.

                      My experience in the past 12 months is that the spammers have been very active in prospecting for visible addresses.  Two addresses I use started to receive spam within 24 hours of their initial appearance on the web, one on a web site and one in a PDF file.  Other addresses don't seem to receive any spam at all.  The difference seems to be how the data is distributed, which is why I'm asking.

                      FYI, files posted in a yahoo group's file system appear to be much less susceptible to spam prospecting than documents posted on a site that doesn't require a login to download them.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                        Robyyan, we would be happy to have the benefit of your expertise when we get to the point of design and implementation.

                        Anyone who wishes to omit or change contact information at any time is not an issue.

                        Thanks!

                        Smiles,
                        Jale

                        I neglected to ask at the meeting... how is this list going to be kept, accessed, and made available to people? What email address and phone number I might list will depend on who is able to get to the data and how.

                      • Christina King

                          --
                          Christina King
                          http://www.rakschristina.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                            I am not the "decider", but as the Chronicler, I think it would be great to have anyone from the Greater Ayreton area (a name I made up) included....

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 18, 2008
                              As the point of the database is to share information and encourage newcomers, it would be great to include as many people as possible, not just limit to Barony residents.
                              So, please, anyone from the general area, feel free to submit, or recommend your friends! (Rockford, NW Indiana, etc if you want!)

                              In service,
                              Jale
                              PS - I think the term 'Greater Ayreton Prosperity Sphere' was coined along the way :)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008
                                Hey Jale--

                                With her permission, I would like to nominate the following individual.

                                Full Name: Kathy Westburg
                                SCA Name: Katherine von Schlosserwald
                                Craft: Living History Interpretation in 13th Century
                                Level of Experience:  Advanced to Expert
                                Willing to: Share Knowledge/Resources , Teach, Mentor  All of the above
                                Location: Vanished Wood, specifically Hanover Park
                                Email: knwkfw@...
                                Phone number: (630) 855-0617

                                Kathy is currently doing a master work project on this topic under the "supervision" of Laurel William Talbot.  She did a two day demo of it at Jubilee and it's WAY cool.

                                She's also good at costuming and cooking, and could (I say should) be listed as advanced in both of those as well.  She's one of the driving forces in our sewing guild, and has been head cook at events many times.

                                Cheers,
                                Acelina

                              • Dayle Harding
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 22, 2008

                                  Sorry, I thought I had sent this out to just Jale, but oops....

                                  yahoo and I aren't getting along lately.  probably my fault.

                                  Acelina

                                  Email: knwkfw@yahoo. com