Pilgrims from afar. :-)

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2008
      Dear everyone:

      Greetings! My name is Peter Geoffrey of Turnberry, originally
      from the Barony of Cynnabar, and now hailing from the Barony of Three
      Rivers in Calontir.

      I noted on the Ayreton web site that there are often A&S
      afternoons with the combined fighter practices on Sundays. Some
      SCAdian friends of mine and I were coming to Chicago for Bristol
      RenFaire the weekend of July 26th (with musical instruments and garb,
      of course). I was wondering if there was a lot in the way of singers,
      musicians, or dancers that hung out at the Ayerton combined practice,
      as it would be neat to drop by and jam and sing and dance and whatnot
      if there were folks who did that sort of thing on the Sunday, July
      27th fighter practice. I've had the wonderful privelege of singing,
      dancing, or playing music with folks from Ayreton at events all across
      the Middle over these last many years, and so I thought I might ask if
      anyone would be in town and at the combined practice on the 27th and
      interested in making mischief with a few pilgrims from afar. :-)

      Cheers! :-)

      - Peter Geoffrey of Turnberry
      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffshuo/2ksca.html

      ------

      Jeffrey Huo, MD PhD
      Department of Pediatrics
      St. Louis Children's Hospital

      jeffshuo@...
    • Teleri
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 18, 2008
        Hello Peter,

        We do not always have dance or music at the Sunday practices, but if folks are passing through from out of town, it might be fun to arrange that there will be.  How many folks are in your caravan?  Some people will have already headed out to Pennsic, but I can try and find out which of the other musicians and dancers will be in town.  I still have most of my Collegium music, and some of the current repertoire of the Pippins overlaps what the Collegium has been doing recently.

        Teleri
        Once a Cynnabarbarian, Always a Cynnabarbarian

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 19, 2008
          Dear Aryeton and friends,

          I understand that the Middle Kingdom would like some group to host a Midrealm 40 year anniversary for next year in 2009. But there are no confirmed volunteers at the moment. This starts me thinking about the history of the Midrealm.

          Here's what I know about the origin of the Middle Kingdom:

          The Middle Kingdom came into being some 40 years ago. During the late 1960's, David Freedman (Cariadoc of the Bow) and a bunch of his science fiction friends in Chicago heard about a California group that did medieval costume parties and held tournaments. David attended a science fiction convention in California, met some of the SCA people, and returned with the ideas and imagination to start a kingdom here. The local people held a tournament sometime in 1969, which Cariadoc won, so he got to be king, and everybody else thought up some other jobs/ roles for themselves.

          There was a lot of imagination, and not too much forethought, at this time, and for a long time afterward. When I joined the SCA (1973), we were not yet convinced that SCA was a long-term activity. It seemed like it was a pleasant college diversion, a nice excuse to dress up, sing songs, and flirt with the opposite sex. Flirting was a very popular part of the events! When the kingdom's history was short enough that I could list the Royalty by counting them on my fingers, the Kingdom didn't seem very permanent.

          Apparently, I was underestimating the importance of our hobby. After all these years, I am tremendously impressed that the Middle Kingdom has become such a fixture in my life. The activities are still challenging, the ceremonies are still inspiring, and the people are still phenomenal. My life has been hugely enriched by belonging to the Middle Kingdom.

          So, I think it's pretty special that the Middle Kingdom is still here to celebrate 40 years. I consider myself a representative of the first decade of the Middle Kingdom (1969-1979), and I have a very special place in my heart for all the other Midrealmers from that same decade.

          Next year in 2009 is the time for a 40 year celebration.

          It would be so cool to have the Incipient Barony of Aryeton be the host of a Midrealm 40 year celebration! This is where the Midrealm was founded, and many of those old people are still around. The first two sets of Royalty, Cariadoc and Diana, Franz and Abrizhade, were from Chicago. Chicago was the center of the Middle Kingdom for a long time, until the kingdoms of Calontir and Northshield were generated.

          Hosting a 40 year celebration would be like running an ordinary event, with a couple of theme activities. We could have a tournament, and a feast, and some arts contests, and whatever else we wanted. I attended the 30 year celebration in 1999--it was held in Indiana and it was very pleasant. It's always nice to see old friends.

          But we could do much better, if we start with this much lead time! We could have big banners for all the baronies, and classes on ancient Midrealm history, and strange and wonderful characters from the Midrealm past, and we could all meet famous people and hear their wonderful stories! We could have a countdown to identify the most senior people, like they do at Pennsic. We could invite the Calontiri and the Northshielders! We could sing songs of the Midrealm, and bardic tales of the Children of the Dragon!

          Do I sound enthusiastic to you? I'm really enjoying the possibilities for this theme.. Of course, at the moment, this is all just ideas. The Midrealm XXXX celebration would doubtless be a Kingdom-level event, so we have to get approval from the Kingdom Seneschal/ Curia. We don't have an event until we have an autocrat, a site, a date, and a listing in the Pale calender.

          Now, I am plenty willing to be the listed autocrat, or part of an autocrat team. The question is whether Aryeton people want to add a Kingdom event to our current calender for 2009. We already have our own local events, and there are many of them. Plus, the Rose Tourney is going to be sponsored by Vanished Wood next summer.

          If we are really interested, as a barony, we have lots of options. The 40-year celebration can be combined with one of our current events, if the current autocrat is agreeable; it can be treated as a once-in-a-lifetime special event, with an event staff drawn from the entire barony; it can be an additional event on our local calender. If we plan for fall of 2009, for example, we have loads of time to prepare for it. We don't have to do all the work ourselves, either. For a big event like this, probably we will get offers of help and ideas from all over the kingdom!

          There is no need to make decisions right now. With Pennsic coming up so soon, all of us are already very busy. This letter is just to start us thinking about it. Some time after Pennsic, we can have more discussion and brainstorming, under more relaxed circumstances.

          In order to do this as an Aryeton event, naturally it will have to be discussed and agreed at the Aryeton meeting. But we can talk about it anywhere!

          This list is a good place to talk about ideas--how many ways can we think of celebrate a 40th anniversary? Lots, and lots, I bet.

          Thank you for listening to my rambles!

          Fern
        • Bernal Schooley
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 20, 2008
            Fern,

            Thanks for the sharing a bit of the history of the Midrealm along with
            the idea to host an anniversary event. I think having Ayreton host
            such event would be a great wy to show that the Midrealm and
            especially the home of the Midrealm is still strong and growing in fun
            and exciting ways.

            I would be happy to give my time to support this event including
            volunteering to co-autocrat along side someone who has more
            experience. Even though I've only been in Foxvale and the SCA for
            about five years and haven't developed as many ties to others in the
            area, I really enjoy being part of a truely great region with a rich
            history and lots of good people.

            --Richard

          • Jeffrey
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 20, 2008
              Dear everyone:

              Thank you very much for the kind welcomes from many off and on
              this list. We're excited to drop by this coming Sunday the 27th.

              I think right now they'll be three or four of us able to stay
              through Sunday; we dance and we sing and we're bringing instruments. :-)

              I think we'll be able to be at Ayreton (It's at Ida Noyes,
              right?) about 2PMish, for anyone who's not already gone to Pennsic and
              interested in just some informal music/dance/singing fun. :-)

              Best,

              - Peter

              --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Teleri <alta_gioiosa@...> wrote:

              > Hello Peter,
              > We do not always have dance or music at the Sunday practices, but if
              folks are passing through from out of town, it might be fun to arrange
              that there will be. How many folks are in your caravan? Some people
              will have already headed out to Pennsic, but I can try and find out
              which of the other musicians and dancers will be in town. I still
              have most of my Collegium music, and some of the current repertoire of
              the Pippins overlaps what the Collegium has been doing recently.
              > Teleri
              > Once a Cynnabarbarian, Always a Cynnabarbarian

            • James McAdams
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 21, 2008
                Greetings,

                I had intended to wait until after Pennsic to point this out, but
                there is another kingdom-event we may consider for next year. In Fall
                2009, it is the Midlands' turn to host crown tournament. That could be
                an alternate, or a combined, event to consider.

                Xavier
              • Wendy Pastrick
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 21, 2008
                  I second the idea that combining with Crown would make for a fabulous weekend!

                  Jale

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 21, 2008
                    Greetings, Peter (and Ayreton!)

                    At this time, the Sunday practice at Ida Noyes is canceled due to Pennsic and summer scheduling for the College.

                    Is there some alternate site anyone would like to propose for this coming Sunday? We do have Portage Park available if people are wanting to meet up and have a Pennsic Pity Party or similar. I'll have to talk to Kilian, but maybe we can pull something together in our backyard (bbq, something?) for those still in Ayreton in general.

                    Or perhaps, were people planning on meeting in the Midway outside of Ida Noyes and I missed that somewhere?

                    Any thoughts out there? I know not *everyone* is going to Pennsic....

                    Smiles,
                    Jale/Wendy

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 21, 2008
                      Your Excellency,

                      As one of your fellow "first decaders," I would be happy to help with
                      whatever you need. I'm sure I could round up a few of the old Carraig
                      Baners as well...

                      Logos
                      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, Fern <fern1445-tgs@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      If we plan for fall of 2009, for example, we have loads of time to
                      prepare for it. We don't have to do all the work ourselves, either.
                      For a big event like this, probably we will get offers of help and
                      ideas from all over the kingdom!

                      > There is no need to make decisions right now. With Pennsic coming
                      up so soon, all of us are already very busy. This letter is just to
                      start us thinking about it. Some time after Pennsic, we can have more
                      discussion and brainstorming, under more relaxed circumstances.

                      > In order to do this as an Aryeton event, naturally it will have to
                      be discussed and agreed at the Aryeton meeting. But we can talk about
                      it anywhere!

                      > This list is a good place to talk about ideas--how many ways can we
                      think of celebrate a 40th anniversary? Lots, and lots, I bet.

                    • thomas penyngton
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 21, 2008
                        Hi. Well, we discussed this at the Sunday practice yesterday, and I
                        think we decided to have music & other A&S next Sunday at Ida Noyes, for
                        those who would like to. It looks like Mistress Amelie is planning on
                        going & playing music (I'll probably stay home with the kids). So 2 pm
                        at Ida Noyes should be fine.

                        thomas p

                        Wendy Pastrick wrote:
                        > Greetings, Peter (and Ayreton!)
                        >
                        > At this time, the Sunday practice at Ida Noyes is canceled due to Pennsic and summer scheduling for the College.
                        >
                        > Is there some alternate site anyone would like to propose for this coming Sunday? We do have Portage Park available if people are wanting to meet up and have a Pennsic Pity Party or similar. I'll have to talk to Kilian, but maybe we can pull something together in our backyard (bbq, something?) for those still in Ayreton in general.
                        >
                        > Or perhaps, were people planning on meeting in the Midway outside of Ida Noyes and I missed that somewhere?
                        >
                        > Any thoughts out there? I know not *everyone* is going to Pennsic....
                        >
                        > Smiles,
                        > Jale/Wendy

                      • Fern
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 22, 2008
                          Dear Logos,

                          It would be so cool to round up all the old people! Let's pull out our best old stories so we can wow all the other decades! Old Carraig Ban people would be great!

                          Thanks very much for your support. I think we can put together a whopping good event! Start now to look for your oldest SCA pictures...

                          Fern

                        • Fern
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 22, 2008
                            Excellent! I will be there, with music and recorders. And various Show and Tell items.

                            Fern

                            Wendy Pastrick wrote:
                            > Greetings, Peter (and Ayreton!)
                            >
                            > At this time, the Sunday practice at Ida Noyes is canceled due to Pennsic and summer scheduling for the College.
                            >
                            > Is there some alternate site anyone would like to propose for this coming Sunday? We do have Portage Park available if people are wanting to meet up and have a Pennsic Pity Party or similar. I'll have to talk to Kilian, but maybe we can pull something together in our backyard (bbq, something?) for those still in Ayreton in general.
                            >
                            > Or perhaps, were people planning on meeting in the Midway outside of Ida Noyes and I missed that somewhere?
                            >
                            > Any thoughts out there? I know not *everyone* is going to Pennsic....
                            >
                            > Smiles,
                            > Jale/Wendy

                          • Kristine Petroshius
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 22, 2008
                              I heard a story about one of the first Coronations being at Wilmot Mountain in Northern Illinois/Wisconsin area; maybe we could see about trying for that area....it would seem fitting to celebrate there.

                              Kristiana

                              twlyon24 <twlyon24@verizon. net> wrote:
> [...]

                              If we plan for fall of 2009, for example, we have loads of time to
                              prepare for it. We don't have to do all the work ourselves, either.
                              For a big event like this, probably we will get offers of help and
                              ideas from all over the kingdom!

                              > There is no need to make decisions right now. With Pennsic coming
                              up so soon, all of us are already very busy. This letter is just to
                              start us thinking about it. Some time after Pennsic, we can have more
                              discussion and brainstorming, under more relaxed circumstances.

                              > In order to do this as an Aryeton event, naturally it will have to
                              be discussed and agreed at the Aryeton meeting. But we can talk about
                              it anywhere!

                              > This list is a good place to talk about ideas--how many ways can we
                              think of celebrate a 40th anniversary? Lots, and lots, I bet.

                            • Victor Townsend
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 22, 2008
                                Kristina, Caridoc and Diana's coronation was at Wilmot Mountain.  The early years of the Middle were heavily influenced by The Lord of the Rings and Caridoc was known as the Prince under the Hill.

                                Dagan,
                                3rd Duke of the first decade.

> [...]

                                If we plan for fall of 2009, for example, we have loads of time to
                                prepare for it. We don't have to do all the work ourselves, either.
                                For a big event like this, probably we will get offers of help and
                                ideas from all over the kingdom!

                                > There is no need to make decisions right now. With Pennsic coming
                                up so soon, all of us are already very busy. This letter is just to
                                start us thinking about it. Some time after Pennsic, we can have more
                                discussion and brainstorming, under more relaxed circumstances.

                                > In order to do this as an Aryeton event, naturally it will have to
                                be discussed and agreed at the Aryeton meeting. But we can talk about
                                it anywhere!

                                > This list is a good place to talk about ideas--how many ways can we
                                think of celebrate a 40th anniversary? Lots, and lots, I bet.

                              • Jeffrey
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 24, 2008
                                  Before I hit the road from Three Rivers and my friends hit the road
                                  from Cynnabar, a warm and sincere thank you to all of you for your
                                  kind welcome of travelers. We look forward to meeting you all at Ida
                                  Noyes at 2PM this coming Sunday. :-)

                                  Sincerely,

                                  - Peter

                                  --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, thomas penyngton <tedr@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi. Well, we discussed this at the Sunday practice yesterday, and I
                                  > think we decided to have music & other A&S next Sunday at Ida Noyes,
                                  for
                                  > those who would like to. It looks like Mistress Amelie is planning on
                                  > going & playing music (I'll probably stay home with the kids). So 2 pm
                                  > at Ida Noyes should be fine.
                                  >
                                  > thomas p
                                  >

                                  > Wendy Pastrick wrote:
                                  > > Greetings, Peter (and Ayreton!)
                                  > >
                                  > > At this time, the Sunday practice at Ida Noyes is canceled due to
                                  Pennsic and summer scheduling for the College.

                                  > > Is there some alternate site anyone would like to propose for this
                                  coming Sunday? We do have Portage Park available if people are wanting
                                  to meet up and have a Pennsic Pity Party or similar. I'll have to talk
                                  to Kilian, but maybe we can pull something together in our backyard
                                  (bbq, something?) for those still in Ayreton in general.

                                  > > Or perhaps, were people planning on meeting in the Midway outside
                                  of Ida Noyes and I missed that somewhere?

                                  > > Any thoughts out there? I know not *everyone* is going to Pennsic....
                                  > >
                                  > > Smiles,
                                  > > Jale/Wendy

                                • Joanne Labny
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 7, 2008
                                    Another possible site is the Kendall Co Fair Grounds.  This is were Foxvale host's their annual event.  There is lots of space, both indoor and out, for activities and camping is allowed.  The only draw back is the kitchen does not have an oven or stove we can use, but that has never stopped us from having great feast.  Just another possible site that could be used.

                                    Fiona

> [...]

                                    If we plan for fall of 2009, for example, we have loads of time to
                                    prepare for it. We don't have to do all the work ourselves, either.
                                    For a big event like this, probably we will get offers of help and
                                    ideas from all over the kingdom!

                                    > There is no need to make decisions right now. With Pennsic coming
                                    up so soon, all of us are already very busy. This letter is just to
                                    start us thinking about it. Some time after Pennsic, we can have more
                                    discussion and brainstorming, under more relaxed circumstances.

                                    > In order to do this as an Aryeton event, naturally it will have to
                                    be discussed and agreed at the Aryeton meeting. But we can talk about
                                    it anywhere!

                                    > This list is a good place to talk about ideas--how many ways can we
                                    think of celebrate a 40th anniversary? Lots, and lots, I bet.

                                  • Wendy Pastrick
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 7, 2008
                                      I was wondering about camping possibilities there...that's good news! Are there showers/facilities available other than in the barn?

                                      Everyone knows we can always pull off a feast with outdoor grills...,mmmmmm grilled meat!

                                      Smiles,
                                      Jale

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 7, 2008
                                        Unfortunately the only bathroom facilities are the ones in the main building.  There are a couple of hotels in the town of Yorkville just down Rte 47 for the sight for those who really feel they need the showers and don't want to camp.

                                        As far as the kitchen facilities, the draw backs have never stopped us from having a great feast.  You just have to use your creativity.  Nesco cookers, grills, etc have worked for us in the past.

                                        Fiona