Candidate for IB Webminister

  • Andrew Otto
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008

      Hey folks, I was looking at the Ayreton message board and website and it seems that there is no information about the three candidates for the position of Incipient Baronial Webminister.

      Soooooo,,,,,,I will break the ice here and give you an idea of why I want to do this and a brief resume of my experience.

      To give you all an idea of the kind of site in envision for the Barony, there is a prototype Ayreton website that I am building at http://www.frasers-oak.com

      Angus Fraser AoA – MKA Andy Otto

      Why the heck am I running for this???

      The website is the primary ways that folks outside of our area will know about the PIB of Ayreton. Therefore, it needs to show the rest of the Known World how much fun we have, the kind of work we do, and the spirit of oru Barony.

      As well as being a showcase for our Barony, it is also a recruiting tool, and an adjunct to the Chronicler’s office for dispensing news.  Beyond that, I would also like to make the website a place for all of us in the Barony to  post pictures, stories, in-persona accounts, technical articles and just about anything else.

      I want to build on the fine work of our current Webminister and staff. I would make it my first duty to ask gentles interested in helping out to join the ‘ministry. As the SCA is a teaching organization, we would enjoy teaching interested gentles  the “aetherial sciences”. With this group, the guidance of the Baronial Curia, and the support of populace; we would continue to build on our solid foundation and create a site that fully represents the talent, chivalry, and good nature of the Barony of Ayreton.

      Resume

      I’ve run the Fraser’s Oak mailing list in one incarnation or another for (give or take) the last 15 years. I manage development and designed the web sites for the Boy Scouts of America, Three Fires Council (http://www.threefirescouncil.org) and my local Scouting district ( http://www.thunderbirddistrict.org . These websites are designed to allow non-technical users to enter and maintain content.  I manage a few other sites for family and friends.

      .

      My design philosophy is “content is king”. A website should deliver correct, timely information. The content must be easily found by the users, and must be delivered quickly. I do not like to re-invent the wheel (that would be outside of Angus’s period anyway), I like to use open-source software and re-use tested code. I have fluency in most web languages: HTML, Java, php, and writing CGI scripts. I can implement sites on the most common platforms: LAMP, ASP and others. I have experience building sites from scratch using straight HTML, modifying existing sites, and building sites with content management system and other open-source tools.

      =*Angus*-

      -*Andy*-

    • Sarafina Sinclair
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
        Good Evening All,

        If you go to Baronial Transition page: http://ayreton.home.att.net/barony.html, the names of the three candidates are listed. If you click on the hyperlinks for the names, there is a blurb that each candidate has written. I will add a sentence to that effect. Sorry for any inconvenience.

        Sarafina :D

        --
        Mistress Sarafina Sinclair, OL
        http://ladysarafina.home.att.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
          I guess I really wasn't paying attention during this part of the last Baronial Bizmeet, but how did Webminister become a position that needed an election? Isn't Webminister usually a "yeah, I'll do it" task?

          Just curious because I forgot about this...

          In Service,

          -Wolfram von Waldersbach, C.D.B.
          "Voca me cum benedictis"
          2008 Midlands Regional Archery Champion

          To: ayreton@yahoogroups.com; frasers-oak@yahoogroups.com
          From: exit104@...
          Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:07:52 -0700
          Subject: [Ayreton] Candidate for IB Webminister

[...]

          The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.
        • kevin purtrell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008

            Thats impressive I hope it challenges the other canditates to produce their best creative effort.

            -THL Kevin Ambrozijwski