Re: Waterbearers....pay heed

  • Ehrenfried Schertenleib
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
      In that case lunches and feasts should be done by licensed caterers.

      Ehrenfried

      --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, suzanearley@... wrote:

      > The problem deals with food/beverage distribution itself and the
      modern regulations surrounding that practice, not the reason for the
      food/beverage distribution.

      > Ghita
      > From: "alta_gioiosa" <alta_gioiosa@...>
      >

      > > My memory is that originally the water-bearing service was
      started
      > > up by the Chirurgeonate. Is there any reason not to put this back
      > > under their supervision? Labeled not as "serving beverages", but
      > > as "providing first aid", i.e. mitigating the preliminary signs
      of
      > > heat exhaustion? Would this be a better option, since our first
      aid
      > > crew is properly trained, and able to administer other minor
      > > treatment, like bandaids and such?
      > >
      > > Teleri
      > >

      > > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "sirkilian" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > From the President, Patrick Anderson:
      > > >

      > > > Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in the
      > > waterbearing
      > > > community to examine the various laws of states and countries
      > > related
      > > > to waterbearing as an organized and official activity of the
      SCA,
      > > Inc.
      > > > Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc. that
      while
      > > our
      > > > activity does not directly violate the food codes or health
      > > egulations
      > > > of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of illness,
      the
      > > SCA,
      > > > Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several health
      care
      > > > professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic and agree
      > > with
      > > > this assessment.
      > >
      > > ...lots more snipped...

      > > To discontinue receiving discussion, but still receive
      announcements, go to
      > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ayreton/join and change your
      subscription to
      > > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post
      Special
      > > Notices, send a request to .
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David Roland
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2008
        I believe the actual certification is called "Food Safe", but I could
        be wrong about the title. In fact there are several scadians in the
        area who are "food safe" qualified and it has come in handy. Some
        sites in the area have required a food safe person to be on site
        during the cooking and preparing of food. If we didn't have one the
        site would have provided one to us at additional cost.

        However, the waterbearing issue isn't saying that there can be no
        water bearing done at events. I believe the proposal (which is all it
        is for now but I am guessing it will pass), specifically states that
        water bearing isn't being banned simple that SCA, Inc will no longer
        be sponsoring it in any way.

        I have seen a lot of waterbearing done at the several local events
        that take place. Most of which, to my knowledge, is done outside the
        auspices of any official SCA water bearing warrant(s). I'm fully
        willing to admit that I could be wrong on that point but as there have
        been very few events that I have seen any water bearing symbols on the
        people doing water bearing I feel that is likely a safe conclusion.

        We're helpful and nice folks, I really don't see this having a huge
        impact locally though at larger inter-kingdom events, I am certain it
        will get interesting. I for one am sad to see this measure taken but
        also understand at least some of the reasoning behind it and support
        that reasoning.

        Just my thoughts,

        Ian the Green

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Ehrenfried Schertenleib"