RE: [Ayreton] Re: Waterbearers....pay heed

  • Tom Hughes
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008

      Two years ago at Pennsic, someone “spiked” several of the water jugs in the water bearers’ tent with clear Gatorade.  Two youth combatants, who have diabetes, went down with electrolyte imbalance problems.  The kids were ultimately okay but this gave a huge scare regarding potential liability.

      The sins of a few cause problems for the whole.

      Sean

      From: "alta_gioiosa" <alta_gioiosa@...>

      > My memory is that originally the water-bearing service was started
      > up by the Chirurgeonate. Is there any reason not to put this back
      > under their supervision? Labeled not as "serving beverages", but
      > as "providing first aid", i.e. mitigating the preliminary signs of
      > heat exhaustion? Would this be a better option, since our first aid
      > crew is properly trained, and able to administer other minor
      > treatment, like bandaids and such?
      >
      > Teleri
      >

      > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "sirkilian" wrote:
      > >
      > > From the President, Patrick Anderson:
      > >

      > > Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in the
      > waterbear ing
      > > community to examine the various laws of states and countries
      > related
      > > to waterbearing as an organized and official activity of the SCA,
      > Inc.
      > > Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc. that while
      > our
      > > activity does not directly violate the food codes or health
      > egulations
      > > of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of illness, the
      > SCA,
      > > Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several health care
      > > professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic and agree
      > with
      > > this assessment.
      >
      > ...lots more snipped...

      > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post Special
      > Notices, send a request to .
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > mailto:Ayreton-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > mailto:Ayreton-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yah oo.com/info/terms/

    • Ehrenfried Schertenleib
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
        In that case lunches and feasts should be done by licensed caterers.

        Ehrenfried

        --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, suzanearley@... wrote:

        > The problem deals with food/beverage distribution itself and the
        modern regulations surrounding that practice, not the reason for the
        food/beverage distribution.

        > Ghita
        > From: "alta_gioiosa" <alta_gioiosa@...>
        >

        > > My memory is that originally the water-bearing service was
        started
        > > up by the Chirurgeonate. Is there any reason not to put this back
        > > under their supervision? Labeled not as "serving beverages", but
        > > as "providing first aid", i.e. mitigating the preliminary signs
        of
        > > heat exhaustion? Would this be a better option, since our first
        aid
        > > crew is properly trained, and able to administer other minor
        > > treatment, like bandaids and such?
        > >
        > > Teleri
        > >

        > > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "sirkilian" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > From the President, Patrick Anderson:
        > > >

        > > > Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in the
        > > waterbearing
        > > > community to examine the various laws of states and countries
        > > related
        > > > to waterbearing as an organized and official activity of the
        SCA,
        > > Inc.
        > > > Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc. that
        while
        > > our
        > > > activity does not directly violate the food codes or health
        > > egulations
        > > > of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of illness,
        the
        > > SCA,
        > > > Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several health
        care
        > > > professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic and agree
        > > with
        > > > this assessment.
        > >
        > > ...lots more snipped...

        > > To discontinue receiving discussion, but still receive
        announcements, go to
        > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ayreton/join and change your
        subscription to
        > > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post
        Special
        > > Notices, send a request to .
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Roland
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 21, 2008
          I believe the actual certification is called "Food Safe", but I could
          be wrong about the title. In fact there are several scadians in the
          area who are "food safe" qualified and it has come in handy. Some
          sites in the area have required a food safe person to be on site
          during the cooking and preparing of food. If we didn't have one the
          site would have provided one to us at additional cost.

          However, the waterbearing issue isn't saying that there can be no
          water bearing done at events. I believe the proposal (which is all it
          is for now but I am guessing it will pass), specifically states that
          water bearing isn't being banned simple that SCA, Inc will no longer
          be sponsoring it in any way.

          I have seen a lot of waterbearing done at the several local events
          that take place. Most of which, to my knowledge, is done outside the
          auspices of any official SCA water bearing warrant(s). I'm fully
          willing to admit that I could be wrong on that point but as there have
          been very few events that I have seen any water bearing symbols on the
          people doing water bearing I feel that is likely a safe conclusion.

          We're helpful and nice folks, I really don't see this having a huge
          impact locally though at larger inter-kingdom events, I am certain it
          will get interesting. I for one am sad to see this measure taken but
          also understand at least some of the reasoning behind it and support
          that reasoning.

          Just my thoughts,

          Ian the Green

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Ehrenfried Schertenleib"