Re: [Ayreton] Re: Waterbearers....pay heed

  • suzanearley@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
      The problem deals with food/beverage distribution itself and the modern regulations surrounding that practice, not the reason for the food/beverage distribution.

      Ghita
      From: "alta_gioiosa" <alta_gioiosa@...>

      > My memory is that originally the water-bearing service was started
      > up by the Chirurgeonate. Is there any reason not to put this back
      > under their supervision? Labeled not as "serving beverages", but
      > as "providing first aid", i.e. mitigating the preliminary signs of
      > heat exhaustion? Would this be a better option, since our first aid
      > crew is properly trained, and able to administer other minor
      > treatment, like bandaids and such?
      >
      > Teleri
      >

      > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "sirkilian" wrote:
      > >
      > > From the President, Patrick Anderson:
      > >

      > > Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in the
      > waterbear ing
      > > community to examine the various laws of states and countries
      > related
      > > to waterbearing as an organized and official activity of the SCA,
      > Inc.
      > > Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc. that while
      > our
      > > activity does not directly violate the food codes or health
      > egulations
      > > of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of illness, the
      > SCA,
      > > Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several health care
      > > professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic and agree
      > with
      > > this assessment.
      >
      > ...lots more snipped...

      > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post Special
      > Notices, send a request to .
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > mailto:Ayreton-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > mailto:Ayreton-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yah oo.com/info/terms/

    • Tom Hughes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008

        Two years ago at Pennsic, someone “spiked” several of the water jugs in the water bearers’ tent with clear Gatorade.  Two youth combatants, who have diabetes, went down with electrolyte imbalance problems.  The kids were ultimately okay but this gave a huge scare regarding potential liability.

        The sins of a few cause problems for the whole.

        Sean

        From: "alta_gioiosa" <alta_gioiosa@...>

        > My memory is that originally the water-bearing service was started
        > up by the Chirurgeonate. Is there any reason not to put this back
        > under their supervision? Labeled not as "serving beverages", but
        > as "providing first aid", i.e. mitigating the preliminary signs of
        > heat exhaustion? Would this be a better option, since our first aid
        > crew is properly trained, and able to administer other minor
        > treatment, like bandaids and such?
        >
        > Teleri
        >

        > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "sirkilian" wrote:
        > >
        > > From the President, Patrick Anderson:
        > >

        > > Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in the
        > waterbear ing
        > > community to examine the various laws of states and countries
        > related
        > > to waterbearing as an organized and official activity of the SCA,
        > Inc.
        > > Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc. that while
        > our
        > > activity does not directly violate the food codes or health
        > egulations
        > > of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of illness, the
        > SCA,
        > > Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several health care
        > > professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic and agree
        > with
        > > this assessment.
        >
        > ...lots more snipped...

        > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post Special
        > Notices, send a request to .
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > mailto:Ayreton-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > mailto:Ayreton-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yah oo.com/info/terms/

      • Ehrenfried Schertenleib
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
          In that case lunches and feasts should be done by licensed caterers.

          Ehrenfried

          --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, suzanearley@... wrote:

          > The problem deals with food/beverage distribution itself and the
          modern regulations surrounding that practice, not the reason for the
          food/beverage distribution.

          > Ghita
          > From: "alta_gioiosa" <alta_gioiosa@...>
          >

          > > My memory is that originally the water-bearing service was
          started
          > > up by the Chirurgeonate. Is there any reason not to put this back
          > > under their supervision? Labeled not as "serving beverages", but
          > > as "providing first aid", i.e. mitigating the preliminary signs
          of
          > > heat exhaustion? Would this be a better option, since our first
          aid
          > > crew is properly trained, and able to administer other minor
          > > treatment, like bandaids and such?
          > >
          > > Teleri
          > >

          > > --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "sirkilian" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > From the President, Patrick Anderson:
          > > >

          > > > Earlier this year, I was asked by several people in the
          > > waterbearing
          > > > community to examine the various laws of states and countries
          > > related
          > > > to waterbearing as an organized and official activity of the
          SCA,
          > > Inc.
          > > > Various states have informed officers of the SCA, Inc. that
          while
          > > our
          > > > activity does not directly violate the food codes or health
          > > egulations
          > > > of their states, if there were to be an outbreak of illness,
          the
          > > SCA,
          > > > Inc. could be held liable for that outbreak. Several health
          care
          > > > professionals and attorneys have reviewed this topic and agree
          > > with
          > > > this assessment.
          > >
          > > ...lots more snipped...

          > > To discontinue receiving discussion, but still receive
          announcements, go to
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ayreton/join and change your
          subscription to
          > > "Special Notices". Activities coordinators, to get access to post
          Special
          > > Notices, send a request to .
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Roland
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2008
            I believe the actual certification is called "Food Safe", but I could
            be wrong about the title. In fact there are several scadians in the
            area who are "food safe" qualified and it has come in handy. Some
            sites in the area have required a food safe person to be on site
            during the cooking and preparing of food. If we didn't have one the
            site would have provided one to us at additional cost.

            However, the waterbearing issue isn't saying that there can be no
            water bearing done at events. I believe the proposal (which is all it
            is for now but I am guessing it will pass), specifically states that
            water bearing isn't being banned simple that SCA, Inc will no longer
            be sponsoring it in any way.

            I have seen a lot of waterbearing done at the several local events
            that take place. Most of which, to my knowledge, is done outside the
            auspices of any official SCA water bearing warrant(s). I'm fully
            willing to admit that I could be wrong on that point but as there have
            been very few events that I have seen any water bearing symbols on the
            people doing water bearing I feel that is likely a safe conclusion.

            We're helpful and nice folks, I really don't see this having a huge
            impact locally though at larger inter-kingdom events, I am certain it
            will get interesting. I for one am sad to see this measure taken but
            also understand at least some of the reasoning behind it and support
            that reasoning.

            Just my thoughts,

            Ian the Green

            --- In Ayreton@yahoogroups.com, "Ehrenfried Schertenleib"